Author Topic: Electronic/automatic handbrake  (Read 3200 times)

Offline BlinGTIes

• Not said much yet
Electronic/automatic handbrake
« on: 18 May 2018, 19:37 »
Hi guys,

Just noticed today when driving around the automatic handbrake wouldn’t deactivate when I tried to pull away - both forward and in reverse. Then later in the day it started to happen with the ‘hill stop/start’. Anyone else had this problem or how to fix it?

I have a mk7.5 and only had it 3 months and just done 2,500 miles.

Cheers!

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Re: Electronic/automatic handbrake
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2018, 14:19 »
Door open or auto hold disabled?
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline BlinGTIes

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2018, 00:37 »
Nope, all doors shut. Happens when auto hold and electronic handbrake on and I go to pull away. Should I be doing that with the electronic handbrake on??? Was told it’s ok as it automatically disengages.

Then I noticed it happens with just the auto hold on when stopped at traffic lights and the brake pedal will end very firm with no give. Very strange.

Think I’ll have to get it checked out. Annoying that it’s intermittent.

Offline STmichael

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2018, 07:45 »
Not sure if this will be the same but on the Nissan Qashqai I have just got rid of if you tried to pull away without applying any revs (not touching the accelerator in traffic) the handbrake would not disengage. Blip the throttle and all would be ok. Of course this only applies to a manual. Not sure what you have.
The auto hold function sounds like it is working ok as it retains the brake pressure applied off the foot brake when you stop. That is why it still feels hard.
« Last Edit: 20 May 2018, 14:31 by STmichael »
GTD drivers know best!

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2018, 08:11 »
Sounds like you have become familiar with how it should work. What you describe is not right and, sadly for such a new car, means a trip to the dealer.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Tamzildj

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2018, 09:42 »
I've noticed my 7.5 GTD do this at times. It's annoying but I usually turn off the auto hold and it sorts itself out. It's been doing this on a rare occasion since I got it.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2018, 09:48 »
Any newbies with auto hold auto brake, you shouldn't ever need to touch either. If both are on then once your in the car with your belt on you shouldn't need to touch either until your journey is finished. It holds you on hills/slight inclines/junctions etc and then you just pull away normally. If you can't pull away normally then something's either wrong with the auto hold or worse case you the driver  :wink:. Same with the electronic handbrake, it just works so if it doesn't and after checking you're doing everything correctly then it's a fault on the handbrake.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline maxie

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2018, 09:59 »
i have trouble with mine, but i think mines my fault. with me using a hand bar for the brake (with being dissabled) as any slight touch confuses the braking system i think. this sometimes causes the auto hold/handbrake to not turn off and also when moving off cuts the power thus causing me to pull off like a d+++. so maybe you're applying some sort of preasure upon your brake. just a thought. :)

Offline BlinGTIes

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2018, 10:09 »
Thanks guys,it’s been working fine since I had it, just last few days it would feel ‘sticky’ when trying to pull away. So much so I’d have to manually turn them off - and look like a douche because I’ve not pulled away at a junction!

Will call up the dealer and see what they say.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2018, 11:05 »
Mine had a service recall on the handbrake last week, perhaps there is an update for the OP?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.