Author Topic: Golf GTI TCR announced  (Read 15208 times)

Offline Clubsport S

• GTI forum regular
Re: Golf GTI TCR announced
« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2018, 22:07 »

Offline maxie

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 11 May 2018, 08:08 »

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 11 May 2018, 08:46 »
Underwhelmed, I prefer my Clubsport.

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 11 May 2018, 09:01 »
I like the marketing of its a "road going TCR car".. :grin:

..if so why has it got the same crap single piston heavy iron calipers & design flawed discs (internal vanes on one side rotate the wrong way causing heat issues)..

& yet VAG fit the MQB Audi TT-S with nice light aluminium 4pot monoblock piston calipers & 338mm disc which are a straight fit...

another missed opportunity to create a proper road going TCR car...& they have the parts...
« Last Edit: 11 May 2018, 10:37 by golfdave »

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 11 May 2018, 10:13 »
It's basically the Clubsport again isn't it - with a different shade of lipstick.

Reminds me of the MK5 gen - where we had the Edition 30 and a while later (towards the end of the MK5 run) we had the Pirelli Edition, which was basically the same car as the Ed. 30. i.e. it's a handy opportunity for VW to empty the MK7 parts bin in anticipation of the MK8.

Still, I'm sure it'll be a nice car and probably fairly rare.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 11 May 2018, 12:06 »
For me I prefer the Clubsport which is the best looking mk7 by far, this does not seem to have the same presence.

I think Mrs W will be waiting for the Mk8.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 11 May 2018, 13:31 »
Well, I’m not going to say anything derogatory about it as I did that with the Clubsport and ended up buying one!  :whistle:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #17 on: 11 May 2018, 14:18 »
Well, I’m not going to say anything derogatory about it as I did that with the Clubsport and ended up buying one!  :whistle:
I think I remember that incident :laugh:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #18 on: 11 May 2018, 14:40 »
I like the marketing of its a "road going TCR car".. :grin:

another missed opportunity to create a proper road going TCR car...& they have the parts...

As I said, its hardly the real deal by a long old way.... and for £95k you can have the real deal, although gawd knows what you'd have to do to make it road legal!

Your point about the brakes, you rarely hear of anyone on this forum making changes to them but I'd have thought those would be high on the performance list if you really wanted quick track times...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #19 on: 11 May 2018, 17:26 »
Very weak presentation which should give a hint as to what it is going to be about, it doesn't even compare to the uniqueness of the Clubsport: No mention of bespoke engine or (more importantly) suspension tuning, no bucket seats, almost no bespoke body parts, practically a 7.5 GTI with the R/Clubsport engine, a sportier diffuser and some decals to convince you that somewhere deep inside there is a relation (?) to the actual TCR car... A true product of the marketing team with seemingly 0 engineers being involved in the project, unlike the Clubsport suspension development by Karsten Schebsdat which served as the basis for the CSS that followed, and the study about the aero bits and improvement of the chassis balance.
I mean I do realize VW may have cult followers but with strongest selling points here being a falsely claim of "strongest GTI ever" (CSS's 310ps has it covered and CS is making also 290 in 3rd and above  :whistle:) and the removal of the speed limiter  :grin: I am curious to see the sales numbers...