Author Topic: Dealer fix for Soundaktor vibration/rattle?  (Read 13739 times)

Offline JeffPoe

• Not said much yet
Dealer fix for Soundaktor vibration/rattle?
« on: 10 March 2018, 19:44 »
Hi,

I have read about people with Soundaktor vibrations getting it fixed at the dealership.

Does anybody know what they do? As in, do they wrap it up, just use a washer or whatever?

I tried using a method seen on a forum thread, where you put some material (I used hard wood underlay) around under and above where it bolts down. This has not really helped in my case.

Thanks

Offline BlinGTIes

• Not said much yet
Re: Dealer fix for Soundaktor vibration/rattle?
« Reply #1 on: 10 March 2018, 21:37 »
I’ve had my GTI mk7.5 for 6 weeks and noticed a rattle when I put my foot down in third gear in sport mode. I thought it might be because it was still breaking in bu5 I’ve done 1k miles now.

This soundaktor vibration sounds like it might be the culprit! Let us know how you resolve it.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 11 March 2018, 19:24 »
The simplest solution to this problem is to set the "interior engine sound" to eco, either by setting the driver mode to eco, or by setting it to one of the other modes and setting the "interior engine sound" to eco within that mode. If that doesn't cure the problem then there is something loose and rattling around the soundaktor, which you could try complaining to your dealer about.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline JeffPoe

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 11 March 2018, 20:17 »
Ok, so after a lot of experimenting I have solved it.

I initially thought the vibration (sport mode only) was to do with the metal on metal fixing. This is pretty much the conclusion you draw from forums too. However, after using various washers on the fixing, it did not totally fix it.

The problem is actually the unit itself getting a bit giddy and vibrating too much, so this movement needs to be damper.

So I used some cut up foam mat, undid the nut, pushed it under both sides and tightened it up - problem solved!! I can now put my put down without cringing at the horrible vibrations and high pitched rattles coming from the dash.

Note this gets wet, so whatever you use must be somewhat water proof.

This was a pretty good guide for getting to it, but the actual fix used on this post did not work for me.

http://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/9553-soundaktor-rattle-how-to-guide-pics-inside/

I also did not remove the wipers, I just bent the plastic back once the right side was off. A 10mm ratchet spanner was the key to being able to do it this way though.

Offline Pretzel

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 11 March 2018, 22:18 »
Good write up thanks.
Did you disconnect the Soundaktor as well?

Offline JeffPoe

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 11 March 2018, 22:36 »
I left it plugged in. As long as its not vibrating I think its perfectly acceptable and without it the car would be basically silent.

You can still have all the settings of sport mode, but without the sound by doing a custom config in the individual mode..... If for some reason you wanted your GTI to sound boring. Literally no idea why people remove it, unless they are making up for it with aftermarket exhausts and intakes etc.

Offline BlinGTIes

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 11 March 2018, 23:58 »
Good write up thanks.
Did you disconnect the Soundaktor as well?

Jeff,was your motor still under warranty? Why didn’t you take it to get fixed? Would doing something like this void the warranty?

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 12 March 2018, 11:40 »
It's a crap fake sound which is why a lot of people either turn it off or disconnect it.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Gulfstream11

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 12 March 2018, 17:35 »
It's a crap fake sound which is why a lot of people either turn it off or disconnect it.

Agree.

OBD11 turn off. I can hear a decent burble and dsg farts. I don't understand the silence you are saying. Unless its a 7/7.5 thing.

Previous rides..MKIV 1.8T   MKIV PD150  MK5 GTI MK5 edition30 now MK7 GTI PP

Offline JeffPoe

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 12 March 2018, 17:59 »
Its not crap at all. I have had all sorts of cars ranging from high revving S2000s to an E39 V8 M5 and do not feel short changed by the noise. Yeah its fake and not exactly amazing... but would you rather have borderline silence?  :rolleyes:

Anyway....

Would fitting this foam void a warranty claim? I don't know, but its a 5 min job to remove if needed. My thought process for not going to the dealer is based on the following negative view I have on the world:

I take my car in, say it has a vibration under full throttle and when in sport mode.

The job sheet says "blah blah FULL THROTTLE blah vibration blah blah SPORT MODE"

Jimmy, the 21 year old borderline minimum wage 'technician' who drives a 2004 Peugeot 206, hates his job, has no respect for the job or customer cars gets the sheet. He sees this as a perfect opportunity to get out of the boredom for a bit, so goes on a test drive. Totally abuses the car, probably does not even notice the vibration. Somebody he works with says its probably the sound actuator, so they have a play with that. Test drive again to see if its fixed. Jimmy thinks its fine. I get the car back, minus about 2mm of tread from the front tyres and there is still the vibration. Back to the dealer and the cycle starts again.

I'm sure some dealers are great. But realistically there are also some where my fantasy is actually a reality. So for something like this I prefer to just fix it myself.

« Last Edit: 12 March 2018, 18:01 by JeffPoe »