Author Topic: New MK7.5 GTi Ordered!  (Read 14292 times)

Offline CraigW

• I live here
Re: New MK7.5 GTi Ordered!
« Reply #30 on: 17 January 2018, 13:50 »
Here is the same spec car...detailed (not by me!)

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=401881

Never had a car detailed, so how much would a job like that cost?

Here's my old GTI a few year ago. New car prep was £400

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=321584

Offline O2Doc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #31 on: 17 January 2018, 15:05 »
Here is the same spec car...detailed (not by me!)

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=401881

Never had a car detailed, so how much would a job like that cost?

Looks good! I’ll save my £400 and do it myself!

Here's my old GTI a few year ago. New car prep was £400

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=321584

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #32 on: 17 January 2018, 15:34 »
I’ve had wiper judder with some glass products then not others, but prefer not to take the chance so the front windscreen is kept free of products.  I found Gtechniq C2v3 to be ok (no judder) on windscreen as have many others, but I know of plenty that have had issues with other Gtechniq glass coatings resulting in, or compounding wiper judder, and had the coating removed. Oem Valeo wipers are renowned for being prone to juddering, much more so than Bosch Aerotwin blades which I always switch to and have never had a judder issue with.

As for new car detail, if you can do it yourself great!  For those that can’t, it’s worth a few hundred quid to get a pro to do it and give your new car a great start and make regular maintenance washes easier.
« Last Edit: 17 January 2018, 15:36 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline maxie

• Here all the time
« Reply #33 on: 17 January 2018, 15:45 »
mine juddered for a while but mentioned it to vw when it went in for summut else and all's been ok since, touch wood...

Offline O2Doc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #34 on: 18 January 2018, 07:19 »
So I contacted Gtechniq about the juddering issue and as I thought they confirmed that it is technique related :)

Thank you for your email

We have heard of this being mentioned on some forums but it is not a direct issue with G1 product itself. As you correctly say, it will be down to the application process (prep, application & residue removal)

We also recommend cleaning the wiper blades with IPA and putting a small amount of G1 on the blades

It is also essential to apply G1 in a garage or indoor space and leave for atleast 12hours to cure (leaving the blades up if possible)

Best way to apply is below

Machine polish the glass or use our G4 polish by hand
Clean away residue with a damp cloth
Clean glass with our PW, G6 or IPA to ensure glass is squeeky clean
Apply first layer of G1 in circular motion
Leave for 5mins
Apply second layer of G1 in a sideways motion
Leave 5mins
Apply 3rd and final layer in long vertical line from top to bottom
Leave 15-20mins
Remove residue with G2 in very small sections (approx 200mm x 200mm)
Perform a final wipe with IPA or G6 glass cleaner to ensure residue is fully removed and looking clear
Clean and coot blades
Leave blades up and cure overnight

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #35 on: 18 January 2018, 13:17 »
Err sorry but they are feeding you bulls4it. The guy from gtechnic who my detailer spoke to said it was a common issue on mk7 golfs and that they were aware of. They won't readily admit that in a random email and naturally will blame someone else. At the end of the day it's irrelevant anyway as it's your car and you'll do whatever you want to protect it. 👍
« Last Edit: 18 January 2018, 17:03 by mcmaddy »
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline O2Doc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #36 on: 18 January 2018, 21:52 »
Err sorry but they are feeding you bulls4it. The guy from gtechnic who my detailer spoke to said it was a common issue on mk7 golfs and that they were aware of. They won't readily admit that in a random email and naturally will blame someone else. At the end of the day it's irrelevant anyway as it's your car and you'll do whatever you want to protect it. 👍

I’ll give it a go my way and see if it works. Your right they aren’t going to turn around and say it doesn’t work on Golfs. Equally your detailer (dare I say it) may not have the skills required to get the product to work  :wink:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #37 on: 18 January 2018, 22:38 »
If it’s so difficult to apply that a even a pro detailer can’t manage it (granted, skill may differ) then begs the question as to the value of the product to the end user.  :grin:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline O2Doc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #38 on: 19 January 2018, 03:19 »
If it’s so difficult to apply that a even a pro detailer can’t manage it (granted, skill may differ) then begs the question as to the value of the product to the end user.  :grin:

Well having put it on 3 cars (BMW, Audi - glorified VW and Merc) let me tell you it is incredible stuff. Not needing to use your wipers above 40 mph and guaranteed lasting power of 30k miles...is not to be sniffed at. It would be a great shame if i doesn't work on this car. Having said that there are enough posts out there of people with Golfs saying it works fine to reassure me that it will be fine  :smiley:

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #39 on: 19 January 2018, 06:38 »

I’ll give it a go my way and see if it works. Your right they aren’t going to turn around and say it doesn’t work on Golfs. Equally your detailer (dare I say it) may not have the skills required to get the product to work  :wink:
Considering the guy is a professional detailer and not some random bloke off a forum and also having seen the cars he gets and the results he gets I have no reason to doubt his skill level at application.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.