Author Topic: What should i know befor buying?  (Read 4402 times)

Offline Bill reed

• Just got here
What should i know befor buying?
« on: 11 October 2017, 17:06 »
I am in the market for a Golf GTi. My budget limits me to the mk6 or mk5. Looking mainly at mk6`s for now.
Had A4`s up till now and know nothing about Golf`s. Also my mechanical knowledge is limited.
I have joined the forum so I can have a study for ideas etc. I have noticed that with the mk6 the cam tensioner gets mentioned a fair bit. What is the best way to deal with this? Does it fail randomly or is it a age/milage thing?
So do I need to check when and if it was replaced or replace for peace of mind?
Any info on this OR anything else to watch for would really help.
Forgot to ask,what is apx cost to replace a cam tensioner before failure?

Offline joe6

• I live here
Re: What should i know befor buying?
« Reply #1 on: 11 October 2017, 21:38 »
Hi Bill, Lots of info on threads about what to look for. Mk 6 post 2011 had a revised tensioner (third revision) so should be OK. Not a mileage thing, can happen at almost any mileage/age. Quite a lot of engines replaced under warranty and low mileage. Audi had similar problems. The timing chain is also a bit suspect and can stretch (but not as bad a problem as the 1.4 TSI engines). I believe VW techs have a bit of kit that can check for stretch? So any 2009 - 2011 you really need to have had the tensioner replaced or knock the price down to get it done. Just the tensioner will set you back about 5 hours labour. If getting the tensioner changed also price in a new water pump as they have a habit of leaking when messed with. If buying from a dealer get it done by them as a part of the sale. VW have also brought out a kit that replaces tensioner, chain, chain guides and sprockets - the chain is more robust and a different size hence the replacement sprockets. Don't buy a Mk 6 GTI car that has been chipped. If possible get one that has full VW service history. If VW serviced there will be a record of all the work done on the car and any VW dealer can look it up for you. A few early MK 6 2009/10 also had intake manifold problems with the flaps that alter the air flow when the turbo cuts in failing and that requires a new manifold. About 2 hours labour. A revised design was introduced but not sure when. Check the alloys carefully if you have diamond cut ones as a refurb is about £100 per wheel. Having said all the above, I have a 2010 GTI on 70k and not had any of the problems above and still enjoying the car. Good hunting.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Bill reed

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 11 October 2017, 22:39 »
Joe, Thank you very for the detailed info. That as really helped me out. I think I will try my hardest to buy from VW dealer. Trouble is I was hoping to spend around the £12K mark and I never seem to find any at that price. always seem to be newer cars apx £15-18K. When I see one that as the spec I like it turns out to be way to far to travel, i`m in London.

Can I just ask why you say to avoid a chipped car? I thought the GTi was a car that crying out for tweeking.

Offline Poached

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 12 October 2017, 10:43 »
Joe, Thank you very for the detailed info. That as really helped me out. I think I will try my hardest to buy from VW dealer. Trouble is I was hoping to spend around the £12K mark and I never seem to find any at that price. always seem to be newer cars apx £15-18K. When I see one that as the spec I like it turns out to be way to far to travel, i`m in London.

Can I just ask why you say to avoid a chipped car? I thought the GTi was a car that crying out for tweeking.

They are better with software.

Chances are if the vehicle is not advertised as modified or doesn't have obvious external modifications you may not be able to tell from a test drive.

If the vehicle was well looked after/good history and had a tune from reputable vendor I wouldn't necessarily say it needed to be avoided but modification brings a degree of risk of which I would say is acceptable if we are talking remaps/exhausts etc. It would really depend on how modified the vehicle was.

You could buy a stock vehicle that was an absolute lemon, ragged from cold/careless owner.
« Last Edit: 12 October 2017, 10:57 by Poached »

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
Re: What should i know before buying?
« Reply #4 on: 12 October 2017, 15:31 »
...Watet pump leaks. Check fluid level at max not min.
...Diverter valve can fail. Listen for whistle or flat spot when accelerating it should be linear.
...Timing chain tensioner and chain. Check history as others said.
...Air con pump failure. Check aircon works. Check for leaks at pipes front of engine.
... Alloy corrosion on 18" monza alloys.
....Clonk at front on accelerating. Subframe bolts.
....Clonk and bangs at rear. Shocks or rear suspension bushes.
...Rattle at 2-2.5k turbo waste gate rod rattle. Clip fixes it.
...Crankshaft oil seal. Oil leak at join of gearbox and engine underneath.
...PCV valve failure. Oil round joins of intake air pipes under bonnet andor ruff idle.
...Turbo oil feed pipe. Check no oil covered rear of sump and rear engine.
...Rusty front wings. Sponge at top of wings can cause rust.
...Rusty in rear VW badge area due to blocked drain.
...Damp smell. Door membrain seal behind door cards can fail causing water ingress.
...Door seals. Check for damage can cause water leaks onto switches.
...Intake flap failure. As others said will normally cause engine light.
...DSG box mecatronic units. Make sure smooth up and down changes.
...Manual gearbox.  Check clutch not slipping and smooth. Dual mass flywheel can fails

« Last Edit: 12 October 2017, 15:36 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline eric87

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 18 October 2017, 10:39 »
What would be a tell tale sign of the intake manifold flap fault? Would it run rough?

My friend has a mk6 gti MY2009, it hesitates in 1st gear almost 100% of the time once up to running temp causing a jerk/delay in acceleration no matter how much throttle you give. Would this more than likely be the mechatronics unit?

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 19 October 2017, 15:04 »
What would be a tell tale sign of the intake manifold flap fault? Would it run rough?

My friend has a mk6 gti MY2009, it hesitates in 1st gear almost 100% of the time once up to running temp causing a jerk/delay in acceleration no matter how much throttle you give. Would this more than likely be the mechatronics unit?

The manifold fault will give a EML warning light but may not be straight away. Friend of mine reset the fault code via VCDS several times before the light came on almost straight away on start up. There was not a lot of change in performance and no jerkiness. I think I read on here that the early MK 6 mechatronics units had a software update. Any VW dealer should be able to tell you if this has been done given the vin number.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.