Author Topic: VWR Racingline Springs  (Read 8175 times)

Offline 7MAT

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
Re: VWR Racingline Springs
« Reply #10 on: 12 October 2017, 14:46 »
Guilty as charged  :evil: great little car  :grin:

Many years ago you took me out in it at Brands... I had T23PHY  :cool:

Wow ... that is a few years back now.  :laugh:

I loved that little car, was sad to see her go but needed four door and four seats.

But now the family is growing up, I'm back in 3 door car.  :smug:
MK7.5 Golf GTI Performance, 3 door, Issac Blue, DCC, Manual. Racingline Stage 1 OEM+, Remus Exhaust system, Sache Performance Clutch.

Offline FunkyMunky

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 12 October 2017, 16:29 »
Wow ... that is a few years back now.  :laugh:

I loved that little car, was sad to see her go but needed four door and four seats.

I reckon it was 10 years ago now you say that... yikes!
Pure White MK7 GTI PP DSG, 18" Belvedere alloys, DCC, Tech Pack, Park Assist, Reverse Camera, Keyless Entry, Winter Pack & Climate Windscreen

Offline 7MAT

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 23 October 2017, 10:55 »
I've now had the VWR springs installed for over a week. Been testing them by driving multiple times down my favourite country lanes using all three DCC settings and have decided I hate them, plan to remove them as soon as possible.

Can't complain over the looks as they drop the car nicely, but I just can't live with them - perhaps I'm getting old.

Comfort feels like Sport mode on the regular springs, but its so bouncy as if the springs are not firm enough. Standard mode is not much better. Sport mode is best but far to firm for everyday use.

Thinking of trying the Eibach Pro Kit next as they offer less of a drop and promise better comfort and ride.

MK7.5 Golf GTI Performance, 3 door, Issac Blue, DCC, Manual. Racingline Stage 1 OEM+, Remus Exhaust system, Sache Performance Clutch.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 23 October 2017, 11:01 »
That's a shame Matt, sure you'll have no trouble selling them on though if that's what you're going to do. Have you considered spacers? I know they won't lower the car but they might satisfy you in terms of looks without sacrificing ride quality?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline 7MAT

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 23 October 2017, 11:29 »
That's a shame Matt, sure you'll have no trouble selling them on though if that's what you're going to do. Have you considered spacers? I know they won't lower the car but they might satisfy you in terms of looks without sacrificing ride quality?

Have just switched wheels with a friend to see if changing from the hard side wall Bridgestone's to Conti tyres will help at all.

Will report back once I've re-tested.

Offline FunkyMunky

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 23 October 2017, 12:48 »

Have just switched wheels with a friend to see if changing from the hard side wall Bridgestone's to Conti tyres will help at all.

Got to admit I had Michelins on my Austin's and since swapping to my new set of wheels (with Bridgestone's fitted) I have noticed a difference in ride and handling - would be interested in seeing how you get on with different tyres too...
Pure White MK7 GTI PP DSG, 18" Belvedere alloys, DCC, Tech Pack, Park Assist, Reverse Camera, Keyless Entry, Winter Pack & Climate Windscreen

Offline 7MAT

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 23 October 2017, 13:20 »

Got to admit I had Michelins on my Austin's and since swapping to my new set of wheels (with Bridgestone's fitted) I have noticed a difference in ride and handling - would be interested in seeing how you get on with different tyres too...

Just got back from a quick drive to the local café and with ride is much better with the Conti's which could explain why some reviews on these springs are great and others are just terrible.

Even though the rides improved with the Conti's I still plan to switch to Eibachs Pro Kit.

Its been suggested to me that the VWR springs are based on Eibach sportlines which are competition inspired road springs, whereas the Pro Kit is more suitable for fast road and comfort.

Offline 7MAT

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 25 October 2017, 11:22 »
Eibach Pro Kit springs now fitted  :grin:

They don't lower the car as much as the VWR springs, I think there approximately 5mm higher in the front and 10mm in the rear which doesn't sound a lot but it does make such a massive difference to the general ride comfort.

I would say the Eibach's ride nicer with the horrible Bridgestone's, than the VWR springs did with the softer Contis.

There is still a firmness to the car, but its less harsh and feels more OEM+ now. The Eibach's IMHO seem to work better with the DCC dampers as if the springs rates and damping are more in tune with the car for all three settings. Turn in and general handling are just a little bit sharper than stock.

Overall I'm now very happy with the drop and performance.

Offline maxie

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 25 October 2017, 11:54 »

They don't lower the car as much as the VWR springs, I think there approximately 5mm higher in the front and 10mm in the rear which doesn't sound a lot but it does make such a massive difference to the general ride comfort.

I would say the Eibach's ride nicer with the horrible Bridgestone's, than the VWR springs did with the softer Contis.

There is still a firmness to the car, but its less harsh and feels more OEM+ now. The Eibach's IMHO seem to work better with the DCC dampers as if the springs rates and damping are more in tune with the car for all three settings. Turn in and general handling are just a little bit sharper than stock.

thanks for the info, any chance of pics.  and does this void the warranty at all?

Offline 7MAT

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 25 October 2017, 12:04 »

thanks for the info, any chance of pics.  and does this void the warranty at all?

Will get some pictures up hopefully this afternoon, warranty wise you will lose you springs warranty and depending on your dealer maybe also the dampers but that's it.

The rest of your warranty, engine and drivetrain etc. will still be valid.  :wink: