Author Topic: RAGE  (Read 7605 times)

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
RAGE
« on: 07 October 2017, 15:17 »
 :sad:  :angry:

Husband the effin twit that he is has managed to scratch the glass black panel between the doors i actually think i am going to stab him in the eyes i am so fkn angry

Anyone dont this and saved the day or is it a case of suck it up princess and learn to just wax the car yourself ?

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: RAGE
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2017, 15:48 »
Sorry to hear of the mishap Jen. Those piano black plastic trim pieces on the doors are quite ‘soft’ so are prone to marking. I have had some swirling on mine in spite of careful washing, but I’ve not suffered any scratches.

Swirls will polish out easily with a DA polisher and a suitable polish and pad combination, so if the scratch isn’t deep enough to catch with your finger nail, it might also polish out. I’ve read on a forum a while ago (sorry, can’t remember which forum) that some owners have had these trim pieces wrapped in satin / matt carbon fibre vinyl, so that might be an option worth considering if you like the carbon fibre look and don’t want to go to the expense of replacing the scratched section if the scratch won’t polish out. You can buy the pre-cut pieces on eBay;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARBON-FIBER-VINYL-A-B-C-PILLAR-CAR-WRAP-SHEET-FILM-STICKER-FOR-VW-GOLF-7-MK7-/181813041639

Hope you get it sorted soon (at your husband’s expense!).
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2017, 15:51 »

Husband the effin twit that he is has managed to scratch the glass black panel between the doors i actually think i am going to stab him in the eyes i am so fkn angry

Anyone dont this and saved the day or is it a case of suck it up princess and learn to just wax the car yourself ?

Probably best not to stab him in the eyes Jeni, it makes an awful mess and the paperwork is endless :rolleyes:

I think the panel you are talking about is actually plastic (mine is a 3 door so possibly different) and can be polished if you have a da, what technique/polish to use not so sure but it might depend on how deep the scratch is. Unless really deep I feel sure it can be sorted but perhaps you can use the guilt to get a nice meal out :wink:

Not edited following SR's post so a bit repetitive.....
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2017, 15:58 »

Probably best not to stab him in the eyes Jeni, it makes an awful mess and the paperwork is endless :rolleyes:

I think the panel you are talking about is actually plastic (mine is a 3 door so possibly different) and can be polished if you have a da, what technique/polish to use not so sure but it might depend on how deep the scratch is. Unless really deep I feel sure it can be sorted but perhaps you can use the guilt to get a nice meal out :wink:

Not edited following SR's post so a bit repetitive.....

That bit there  :sad:

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2017, 16:14 »
Definitely plastic then so SR's advice is worth following, just depends on the depth of the scratch.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2017, 17:05 »
How deep is the scratch?  Beyond the clearcoat?  As said, it will catch on the fingernail if it is.  Those are the gloss plastic B pillar and notorious for picking up scratches and swirls, as plastic always marks more easily than the bodywork.  As suggested get a DA on it with a suitable compound and pad (combo will depend on nature of scratch but best to start with least aggressive and work up as needed),and if it's not into the clearcoat it should come out. Even if it is into the clearcoat you can lessen the appearance with the DA as it will soften the edges of the scratch, then maybe further disguise it with a glaze such as Poorboys Black Hole which contains fillers to mask light scratches and swirls.  B Pillars often need a few polishes a year to keep marks at bay.
« Last Edit: 07 October 2017, 17:09 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 07 October 2017, 17:10 »
Forgot to say Jeni, excepting this latest problem (which obviously I can't see anyway), your car is looking excellent :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 07 October 2017, 20:25 »
Forgot to say Jeni, excepting this latest problem (which obviously I can't see anyway), your car is looking excellent :smiley:

Cars looking fab needs a proper wax with da as clearly present owner favoured a car wash !

Cornernsnover the noise at rear as more obvious now when reversing also when goingnover un flat ground but not sure if i can take to my udual non vw garage to be looked at ?

Ordered pingi damp catchers off amazon put them inside today so see how that goes

And fuel consumption still baffles me as only getting 41mpg ?  Regaedless of distance speed of weight of said biy racer foot  :wink:

But aye I LOVE HER

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 08 October 2017, 19:30 »

Cars looking fab needs a proper wax with da as clearly present owner favoured a car wash !

Cornernsnover the noise at rear as more obvious now when reversing also when goingnover un flat ground but not sure if i can take to my udual non vw garage to be looked at ?

Ordered pingi damp catchers off amazon put them inside today so see how that goes

And fuel consumption still baffles me as only getting 41mpg ?  Regaedless of distance speed of weight of said biy racer foot  :wink:

But aye I LOVE HER

Its clear i had more than a couple when responding last nite ! 

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 08 October 2017, 20:13 »

But aye I LOVE HER

Its clear i had more than a couple when responding last nite !

Nothing wrong with that, I'm enjoying a couple or so myself this evening :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.