Author Topic: £130 to swap alloys (not tyres....just the wheels)  (Read 11744 times)

Offline sweel

• Not said much yet
Re: £130 to swap alloys (not tyres....just the wheels)
« Reply #10 on: 29 September 2017, 10:58 »
The problem I have is that the dealer is not close to my home address, and its much simpler to change the alloys on the ramp with the pneumatic drill than by hand in the forecourt on the day of collection. Also having upgraded the alloys its much nicer to have a handover of the car with the better alloys and the inferior ones (in my eyes) and then messing about either in the forecourt or driving to a unknown tyre garage. I am just shocked that they are 1. claiming it takes 1hour in the workshop and 2. don't consider this a courtesy as ill be handing over 25k at the same time.

I agree, seems unreasonably expensive. Presumably you're keeping both sets of wheels so will have to fit 4 wheels and tyres in the car for the journey home, which should just about squeeze in.

Whislt it would be nice to have the 'right' set on the car at collection, a local tyre place (smaller independent one as opposed to ome that is part of a chains) is likely to do this type of swap for approx 20 quid.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 29 September 2017, 11:03 »
The problem I have is that the dealer is not close to my home address, and its much simpler to change the alloys on the ramp with the pneumatic drill than by hand in the forecourt on the day of collection. Also having upgraded the alloys its much nicer to have a handover of the car with the better alloys and the inferior ones (in my eyes) and then messing about either in the forecourt or driving to a unknown tyre garage. I am just shocked that they are 1. claiming it takes 1hour in the workshop and 2. don't consider this a courtesy as ill be handing over 25k at the same time.

I agree, seems unreasonably expensive. Presumably you're keeping both sets of wheels so will have to fit 4 wheels and tyres in the car for the journey home, which should just about squeeze in.

Whislt it would be nice to have the 'right' set on the car at collection, a local tyre place (smaller independent one as opposed to ome that is part of a chains) is likely to do this type of swap for approx 20 quid.

I put 5 19" wheels with tyres in mine no problem.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #12 on: 29 September 2017, 11:31 »
Can the OP really be incapable of changing a wheel? I know its 4 but even with home DIY, it can't take you more than an hour tops.

With a brand new car the bolts won't be stuck and rusty, it will be a piece of cake.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mariamartinez

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 29 September 2017, 11:37 »
Can the OP really be incapable of changing a wheel? I know its 4 but even with home DIY, it can't take you more than an hour tops.

With a brand new car the bolts won't be stuck and rusty, it will be a piece of cake.

Er......thanks. I am not claiming I am incapable, but doesn't it strike you as extremely ODD to arrive to collect your brand new car, presumable a really nice experience and instead, put on the gloves and overalls, break out the tyre wrench and jack and in the middle of the forecourt fiddle around with the car for about an hour.....when about 20m away there is an empty series of ramps and peumatic equipment exactly for this job (and would reduce the time needed to about 10mins). Presumably after getting dirty , you then continue with handover, and then drive back home (which is a fair journey).
« Last Edit: 29 September 2017, 11:42 by mariamartinez »

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 29 September 2017, 11:44 »
Agreed, be nice to collect your brand new car and not have to change the wheels yourself. I think if you'd purchased the wheels from the dealer then there would be no issue or charge but you haven't. If you've screwed them down on price then they probably won't have much left to give away hence why they are charging £130.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #15 on: 29 September 2017, 11:49 »
Personally that is what I would do.
If dealership asked me to pay over a 100 for just swapping wheels, which will be done in 15 minutes tops with access to a lift and pneumatic driver..... though mine usually swaps over my summer / winter wheels FOC when I bring my car in for a service.

I once fitted and coded a set of used mk4 clocks for someone in a dealer forecourt as they refused to code second hand ones, despite saying they were no longer available as new spares. Probably made a few potential customers wonder if they should buy or service their cars there.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 29 September 2017, 12:05 »
I would tell the dealer to f**k off 130 to swap 4 wheels over is taking the piss as your buying the car from them call there bluff and say you might cancel the order unless it's free  :smiley:

Offline mariamartinez

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 29 September 2017, 12:10 »
2nd price comparison: just found that a mobile professional fitting company will come out to your ANY address, change over all four tyres fitting and balancing for £69 (with your alloys) (https://www.tyresonthedrive.com/services/seasonal-re-fit).....sorry I am on my high horse about this one!

Offline mariamartinez

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 29 September 2017, 12:15 »
If you've screwed them down on price then they probably won't have much left to give away hence why they are charging £130.

First I don't think its possible to "screw" a dealer on price. You cannot negotiate the margin to zero so there will always be a profit for them and this amount is known to the buyer. But lets say their margin is small....does that mean they jack up the prices on everything they will ever sell you in the future? Unless they are making literally tens of thousands in the deal they won't help you out with a service that costs them in realty about £20. has anyone heard of keeping customers happy these days?

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 29 September 2017, 12:39 »
£130 is just the hr rate & the VW book might say 1hr to allow fro any stuck bolts...

But to not want to swap the wheels yourself???....why not order the car with the wheels if they are VW alloys?...

Hang on you got them cheaper elsewhere...which is why the dealer is "screwing" you for fitting a VW product which you did not buy from them (dealer).

As for "spoiling the experience" as you put by having to drive home an incomplete car & then get mucky swapping stuff....

My dealer knows me & when I collected my special order car just stated "I suppose that wont remain standard for long..."....too right, drove home & swapped the alloys, fitted RGM rear & sill guards, VW mud flaps, under trays...& loads since

Admittedly I swap my wheels as I have one set of alloys for winter & one set for summer & sold the OEM VW alloys.....& both my sets are aftermarket, better built, lighter & British made.

Swapping a wheel on a new car is sooo easy & the tools required & skill level is what I consider the basics of owning a car...