Author Topic: Interior and door lights problem  (Read 4789 times)

Offline enyap

• Not said much yet
Interior and door lights problem
« on: 27 August 2017, 22:37 »
Good evening all

This is my first post in a few years, the golf has been pretty inactive during that time, but I'm now on a mission to get it into a good state

So the issue I'm trying to sort at the moment is the interior and door lights. The door lights have never worked since i've owned the car and the interior lights seem to have a mind of their own i.e. only working occasionally. At first I thought this may be a problem with the microswitches in the door lock modules, so I replaced one of them, but with no success. When I run a new temporary earth to the door light, it illuminates, so there is no issue with the supply line. I've cleaned up the earth points but that hasn't changed anything.

Looking at the wiring diagram, it shows a link into the 'Convenience Control Unit'. I am wondering if this could be faulty. I've tested the pins going into the CCU and it seems fine. Furthermore, when the interior lights aren't working, if I give the CCU a tap, the lights will sometimes work.

Has anyone else had issues of this description? Or would anyone be able to give me a little more insight into the operation of the CCU? I've ordered another CCU with a matching part number incase I have to replace it......

Any help would be greatly appriciated  :wink:

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Re: Interior and door lights problem
« Reply #1 on: 29 August 2017, 11:22 »
Hi mate,

did you replace a microswitch or a door lock? I guess either way it was driver's door?
If the car thinks that the passenger or any other door is open it will turn int. light off after some time, so replacing another lock or m/s wouldn't change that.

I would start with a fault scan on the car. The CCM will tell you if any lock signals are implausible or something else is wrong.
I'm not far from Oxford (OX12) and can do a scan for a beer token. Do have mk4 CCMs in stock as well (both the early 1J0959799AH and later 1C0959799B units) that I can re-program to mk4 (and other cars like Passat, Octavia etc).

It may be something as simple as cold solder spots on the CCM PCB.... but as I said first thing would be a scan.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2017, 17:30 »
itavaltalainen I've sent you a PM regarding CCMs :wink:

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline enyap

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 02 September 2017, 12:42 »
Hi mate,

did you replace a microswitch or a door lock? I guess either way it was driver's door?
If the car thinks that the passenger or any other door is open it will turn int. light off after some time, so replacing another lock or m/s wouldn't change that.

I would start with a fault scan on the car. The CCM will tell you if any lock signals are implausible or something else is wrong.
I'm not far from Oxford (OX12) and can do a scan for a beer token. Do have mk4 CCMs in stock as well (both the early 1J0959799AH and later 1C0959799B units) that I can re-program to mk4 (and other cars like Passat, Octavia etc).

It may be something as simple as cold solder spots on the CCM PCB.... but as I said first thing would be a scan.

Hi Mate, sorry for the late reply.

I replaced the entire door lock module on the drivers side, haven't done anything with the passenger side yet. I feel like it is a problem with the CCM because when you give it a little tap, the interior lights will turn flicker on and off. I've checked the supply to and from the CCM and it seems fine. Mine has the code '1J0959799AH' of which I have another on order from eBay.

Other problems I have (not sure if they are related to the CCM) the doors will lock themselves unless I put the key into the ignition (I'm lead to believe this shouldn't happen) which has resulted in my keys getting locked inside the car on more than one occasion. Also, there is no siren to tell me that the headlights have been left on when I leave the car.

It would be great if you could give it a scan and see what comes up. I'll PM you regarding this

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #4 on: 13 September 2017, 14:17 »
Back tonight, will message you tomorrow.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles