Author Topic: Pressed Plates - best way to fix to vehicle  (Read 15161 times)

Offline Fewie

• Not said much yet
Pressed Plates - best way to fix to vehicle
« on: 20 August 2017, 12:25 »
Guys

I'm gonna order a set of pressed plates to replace the dealer fit plates for my new GTI I collect in a few weeks and was wondering which is the best way to fix them?

Being metal I'm guessing they don't want screwing straight up like normal plates?  Am I better buying some Wolfsburg plate surrounds as I quite like those too?  As I don't have my GTI yet I'm unsure how the standard plates will be fixed.

Any help, advice or better still pics would be great

MK7.5 Golf GTI in Isaac Blue with Performance Pack, 19" Brescia's, Dynaudio, Reversing Camera & Climate Screen, ordered 16/05/17.  Counting down the days to collection on September 2nd

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: Pressed Plates - best way to fix to vehicle
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2017, 12:38 »
3M dual lock, weather proof version
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2017, 16:07 »
Just about to do the same thing myself, or rather I've bought them just figuring out how to apply them (the ones I got are borderless which I reckon look great (ebay item 252467099264))

I've used the sticky pads that you will get when you order them previously but always found they tended to come after a while and look messy. So, I was thinking getting some 3M padded foam tape.

I think the 3M Dual Lock might be a bit too thick?

Offline MjrSharpe

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 20 August 2017, 16:21 »
I have used plate surrounds on other cars for pressed plates, but when I got gti ones for my car, I found the rear one looked a little fussy imo. For this reason I just used number plate stickies. They have been on the car for approx two months now with no issues.
2016 GTI - Tornado Red, M52 remap, DTUK Pedal box, dv+, racingline turbo elbow, forge turbo muffler delete, racingline springs, racingline stage 2 BBK, novus 0.1 wheels, injen induction kit ,st rear anti roll bar, TT short shift, 034 motorsports dogbone upper / lower inserts, sachs organic clutch, custom stainless steel exhaust, res delete, leyo bezels, oettinger rear spoiler, maxton splitter, golf r rear lights

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #4 on: 20 August 2017, 16:45 »
Just buy a roll of double sided tape from a car accessory shop.
Stick them on and then about a week later when you realise that they don't actually suit the car, buy some nice modern acrylic plates and repeat the process.
That's what I did anyway :whistle:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 20 August 2017, 16:48 »
I think the 3M Dual Lock might be a bit too thick?
It's about 4mm for 2 pieces joined.
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #6 on: 20 August 2017, 16:54 »
Stick them on and then about a week later when you realise that they don't actually suit the car, buy some nice modern acrylic plates and repeat the process and replace your acrylic plates every month because they delaminate and look crap  :tongue:

:kiss:

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #7 on: 20 August 2017, 17:02 »
Stick them on and then about a week later when you realise that they don't actually suit the car, buy some nice modern acrylic plates and repeat the process and replace your acrylic plates every month because they delaminate and look crap  :tongue:

:kiss:
:grin: :grin:
Fair point but mine have been on for 17 months now and still look brand new.
Actually....so do my pressed plates but then they are sat on a shelf in the garage :wink:
Maybe there are different quality acrylics out there or I got lucky, which would be a first.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 20 August 2017, 19:32 »
I used the existing front plate surround and just used double sided padded 3M tape to stick the pressed plate on, and the rear was stuck directly onto the paint with same tape.  They've not moved an inch (went on Nov 2016), and the car is washed nearly every week with a pressure washer.  One roll did both plates, just.  I used this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BR2MTS0/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_1

I think pressed plates look great on the mk7.  Loving mine more than ever!

« Last Edit: 20 August 2017, 19:35 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 20 August 2017, 20:49 »
Best place or recommendations for pressed plates?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.