Author Topic: Golf R - DSG vs stick  (Read 4318 times)

Offline candywhite12

• Here all the time
Golf R - DSG vs stick
« on: 15 August 2017, 14:55 »
like the topic says.  Final choice I got to make before getting a new car.  Had a GTI DSG for 7 years, thoroughly enjoyed it -- except when the mechatronics unit broke down and i had to wait for 2 months till it got replaced under warranty, and except right before i sold the car when it sometimes did not engage a gear and i had to switch the car off and on again.  Before and after that i've had a stick on my GT and now on my 1.2 Polo  :whistle: Major DSG plus for me is the puddle shifts which i totally dig, major minus is the constant fear of breaking down and also service costs.

Any ideas from people who've tried both - or one - on the R, are greatly appreciated, especially in terms of DGS dependability on the mk7.
Wife's: mk8 TSI 1.4 RL, 5dr atlantic blue, DSG, Norfolk 17", pan s/r, leds
Now: mk7.5 TSI 1.4 RL, 5dr tornado red, DSG, Singapore 17", pan s/r, leds
Before: mk6 GTI 5dr candy white, DSG, Monza Shadow 18", s/r, bi-Xenons, DCC
Even before that: mk5 GT 5dr tornado red, manual, s/r

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Golf R - DSG vs stick
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2017, 15:15 »
Your cranky DSG was that the same wet DSG6 on the Mk7 or the crappy dry DSG unit used by VAG?

The dry one is a nightmare by all accounts, but then again we've only seen Mk7 DSG's for what, just under 4 years? Maybe too soon to see long term problems. I know it needs a service at 3 years.

Obviously manual is simpler but even a manual gearbox is a complex thing and after time could present problems.

BTW, I think in general terms, the DSG Mk7's are considered to be cracking technology to drive, assuming that you aren't a control freak ;-)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2017, 16:46 »
Everyone who has had a DSG says it's the best thing in the world, ever.

So if you've had a DSG and liked it then stick with a DSG. It's the best thing in the world, ever.

Besides the manual gearboxes on Golf R's have notoriously crap clutches, especially if you plan on tuning.
I never had any issues with my tuned R clutch but then again there has to be a reason they put the manual R ECU in a steel cage and yet the DSG one is in a plastic holder - tune at your peril!!

Did I say I had a manual? Yes, I did. Manual all the way for me.
Yes in a standing start race the DSG R would be half way to John O'Groats by the time my manual car was out of Lands End car park but hey ho.
I even like stop start in a manual. It's great!

Control freak? Moi?
Yes. Yes I am. So much so that when I get reincarnated I'm going to come back as a despot dictator in the next life.
And gay, I'm coming back gay next time too as gay people have much more fun. Well the look like they do anyway.
Yep, a gay despot dictator in some dystopian future society. Watch out world!

Can I have my meds now please nurse.

Oh, yeah, stick with DSG and embrace the future.
And I'm sticking with manual until I get an electric car
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2017, 18:06 »
NURSE!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2017, 18:41 »
DSG is the best thing in the world, ever. 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2017, 18:44 »

Except it is not

Offline Arnold_Lane

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2017, 18:58 »
Having had a manual S3 as a courtesy car a few months back, I would say DSG is the only way to go with that much power and grip. Keep both hands on the wheel and concentrate on steering and braking and leave the gearbox to sort out which gear to be in.
SOLD - 67 Golf GTi PP, 5dr, DSG in Issac Blue with rear camera, keyless entry, Dynaudio, Brescia alloys & DCC.

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 15 August 2017, 23:56 »
Having had a manual S3 as a courtesy car a few months back, I would say DSG is the only way to go with that much power and grip. Keep both hands on the wheel and concentrate on steering and braking and leave the gearbox to sort out which gear to be in.

Indeed, I loved DSG from first experience and agree with this R no way do I want one hand on the wheel,unless I'm cruising with an elbow out the window. I worked in F1 from 80 to 85 manual is all they had. Wonder why they they don't still use it. Speed and Control.
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 16 August 2017, 09:13 »

Except it is not

Sorry Rhyso but your opinion is wrong :grin:

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
« Reply #9 on: 16 August 2017, 11:36 »
I also think this is down to how many miles you do a year and what type of roads you drive on. If I was doing loads of miles and was using it in and around town where you'd be constantly changing gear then I'd have probably have gone for the DSG. I only do around 5,000 miles a year varying from country roads to town to motorway and so I wanted something a bit more engaging and fun and I have that in the manual gearbox.