Author Topic: MK4 Golf GTI 1.8T  (Read 3016 times)

Offline GolfGTI1.8T

• Just got here
MK4 Golf GTI 1.8T
« on: 27 July 2017, 16:12 »
Hi, I've just bought a 2001 Golf GTI 1.8T AUM and have a couple of questions...

1. The car more often than not makes an unusual noise when starting which the previous owner informed me was known as a 'sticky start' in the VW community, can anybody explain what this is?

2. The car has a couple of tuning stickers in the back window, I've contacted the company to ask what work (if any) has been done but as yet I've had no reply. Are there any obvious indicators I can look for which might give away what work has been carried out?

Until now I'd never driven a Golf GTI - my initial feeling is it suffers for the lack of a 6th gear, it pulls really well and feels solid in 1st gear but everything after that feels labored when driving the car flat out.

Any feedback or advice would be appreciated.  :smiley:

Offline Simeon

• I live here
Re: MK4 Golf GTI 1.8T
« Reply #1 on: 28 July 2017, 09:07 »
Probably a slightly sticky starter motor meaning it doesn't retract quickly enough so you get a noise as the flywheel spins the starter after initial start.

Re the stickers, the previous owner probably bought them on eBay and stuck them in there :laugh:

Offline GolfGTI1.8T

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 28 July 2017, 10:52 »
Thanks for that, I'll investigate the starter motor.

It does 0-60 in 7 secs, Parkers lists 8.2 secs for a Golf 1.8 T GTI 3d Hatchback (1997 - 2004), I assume somethings been done and it hasn't just gotten quicker with age. :tongue:

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 28 July 2017, 12:34 »
What tuning stickers does it have as some of them add Bhp on there own  :smiley:

Offline GolfGTI1.8T

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 31 July 2017, 09:25 »
They are blue stickers, please can you confirm what bhp gain I should expect?

What is this pipe for, https://ibb.co/b5src5 ? I assume it should be connected to something...  :whistle:

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 31 July 2017, 20:34 »
They are blue stickers, please can you confirm what bhp gain I should expect?

What is this pipe for, https://ibb.co/b5src5 ? I assume it should be connected to something...  :whistle:
Your right that pipe should go into the air filter housing  :smiley:

Offline GolfGTI1.8T

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 02 August 2017, 11:06 »
Is it a problem that its not connected to the air filter housing? Seems to run fine without it connected...

Car has gone into the garage today to have the broken breather hose replaced.