Author Topic: GTI 2.0 8v Auto to Manual conversion  (Read 6021 times)

Offline mvb

• GTI forum regular
GTI 2.0 8v Auto to Manual conversion
« on: 30 June 2017, 19:56 »
I know its been done but is there a full list of all the parts thats required.

obviously i know clutch pedal and gear linkages ect but is there a full idiots guide list for the parts and how to guide as looking to tackle this as my 1st project car so need all the help i can get.

cheers.
I Love My GTI

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: GTI 2.0 8v Auto to Manual conversion
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2017, 08:59 »
The simplest way would be to buy a manual car and drive round in that.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline mvb

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 05 July 2017, 12:28 »
The simplest way would be to buy a manual car and drive round in that.

cheers mate, very informative
I Love My GTI

Offline Simeon

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 05 July 2017, 14:20 »
With the availability of manual 2.0 Gti's it really would be the most simple way to go about it...

I've not done the conversion, but I imagine the easiest way to do it is going to be to buy a manual car and rob it of all the necessary bits. Like you've said, you will need a pedal box and gear linkage [presume you will be going 020 like factory 8v Gti's, but you could go 02A if you wanted .. obviously this will change the pedal box and linkage requirements..), plus a gearbox/flywhee/clutch plus clutch cable (or hydraulic pipes depending on conversion), speedo cable? gearbox mounts and brackets? Don't know if there's any wiring involved for the Auto 'box? Guess that'll need removing.

Actually yeah, seeing as you'll have to buy a manual car for all the bits, probably best just buying a good one and driving it. Not trying to discourage, but you are just creating work for yourself. Only reason I would do it is for a full engine change, but if going 16v or VR6 I'd just buy one of those in the first place, so unless you're going to stick a 20v in it, it doesn't seem worth the effort.

Offline mvb

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 05 July 2017, 19:21 »
With the availability of manual 2.0 Gti's it really would be the most simple way to go about it...

I've not done the conversion, but I imagine the easiest way to do it is going to be to buy a manual car and rob it of all the necessary bits. Like you've said, you will need a pedal box and gear linkage [presume you will be going 020 like factory 8v Gti's, but you could go 02A if you wanted .. obviously this will change the pedal box and linkage requirements..), plus a gearbox/flywhee/clutch plus clutch cable (or hydraulic pipes depending on conversion), speedo cable? gearbox mounts and brackets? Don't know if there's any wiring involved for the Auto 'box? Guess that'll need removing.

Actually yeah, seeing as you'll have to buy a manual car for all the bits, probably best just buying a good one and driving it. Not trying to discourage, but you are just creating work for yourself. Only reason I would do it is for a full engine change, but if going 16v or VR6 I'd just buy one of those in the first place, so unless you're going to stick a 20v in it, it doesn't seem worth the effort.

Hi Mate,

Appreciate your response.

Situation is that we bought a donor car which is an auto with the intention of stripping it and taking what we need for the manual, however the car itself has started to grow on us and we have been thinking to do a manual conversion. Yes of course it would be much more simply for us to have bought a manual from the off.

It was just more curiousity to see if it would be worth my while and when i was 1st toying with the idea, it was a vr6 conversion on the cards but being a summer car decided it would be too much power as we have other cars for such antics.

But defo your right, a decent manual would have been more straight forward. Saying that I think we will revert to our 1st idea of using the donor car as a donor
I Love My GTI

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #5 on: 06 July 2017, 16:09 »
You bought it for bits to sort a manual out. Why not use the manual to sort the auto...

Offline mvb

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 18 July 2017, 20:04 »
You bought it for bits to sort a manual out. Why not use the manual to sort the auto...

i don't want the auto box.

have been looking online and the swap is not difficult at all.

not in any rush to do it as got other projects on the go, but then i finally get round to it, it will be a read thats for sure!
I Love My GTI

Offline gasketface

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 22 July 2017, 22:12 »
When you say summer car do you mean a cabriolet !.

If so i would leave it as is if box is good.

Cabby's don't ever drive like hatchbacks unless you weld the doors up and add a cage.They are also heavier than a standard VR so getting the suspension right is not so easy either because you would be adding weight in the wrong place.

Cabbies are a bit like a barge !.

Auto cabbies are much nicer to drive than the manual versions.