Author Topic: What are car salesmen (sorry executives) for?  (Read 9861 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What are car salesmen (sorry executives) for?
« Reply #20 on: 23 June 2017, 20:37 »
I went home and typed my chosen spec into Orangewheels and later that same afternoon got a call from VW Gilbert Lawton in Macclesfield who placed an order.
That's interesting as I've been in to the Macclesfield VW dealer and they are less than useless.

Before I got my current Polo, I went there for a test drive and afterwards I mentioned that I had got a quote from the DtD website and the 'salesman' proceeded to tell me that, firstly DtD were owned by Gilbert Lawtons (wrong) and then that they only sold cars that dealers couldn't shift (wrong) and finally that they weren't sure if they could service the car (wrong again!)

I only get the car serviced there because it's close to one of my clients and I can get a lift there and back easily.

I've heard some terrible stories about VW Gilbert Lawton in recent years. My purchase through OW with them was way back in 2008, and the salesman was excellent, it really was one of the most painless purchases I've ever made, but I expect there have been some changes in the last 9 years.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 23 June 2017, 21:15 »
Having recently bought a Mk7 Golf and currently in the process of trying to buy a Polo for my parents, I'm beginning to wonder what they actually do.

You arrive at the dealer and get guided towards reception as there is no one else about. A sales person gets called out of whatever room they're kept in and introduced to you. After telling them what you have come to see, they will show you around the car you have come to see, wittering on about completely pointless aspects of said car. When you throw some technical questions at them that you already know the answers to, they spout out the first thing that comes into their head, which is inevitably wrong.

After a test drive where they show incredibly slovenly driving techniques, whilst still spouting more drivel before letting you take the helm, you are ushered over to the coffee machine while they go and talk to their manager about the deal.

You have obviously done your sums before getting there, so after what seems like for ever, they produce a tablet with completely unrealistic deal on it. The starting deal I had for the Polo included GAP and GardX, none of which I had asked for. Perhaps they are now miss selling this as opposed to PPI? When told how completely unacceptable the deal is, they have to go off to see their manager again. This can happen several times, each time taking longer and longer, probably in the hope that you'll cave in and accept their crazy offer.

Why the hell can't we just deal with one person and do battle face to face across a desk? That's how it always was. I know they do it as it's easier for the sales person to say no, when they make out it's not them actually saying no, but where's the sport in that? I hate buying cars with a passion. I don't know how you serial car changers can keep going through this. Arrggggghhhhhh.

Not only that, but what do all the spare people do at the dealers? Whilst waiting around for the next offer to come back from the manager, countless people who look like they spend far too much time getting ready in the morning, mill around. Not going anywhere in particular, not carrying anything, in fact not appearing to be doing anything at all. Are these the other sales people (sorry, executives) getting some exercise?

One plus note to all this, the commercial boys are far better to deal with. No messing, one to one haggling and a deal reached. Buying the Amarok was fun, but the cars...

PM sent Simon, let me know what you are after and I will do what I can to help

Any idea Evo if the sound and sport pack is going to become available to order on the Mk7.5 GTD in the near future?
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline skippy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 23 June 2017, 21:43 »
Several years back (2009 in fact) just after the new Scirocco was launched, I pre-arranged a test drive in a Scirocco at my local dealer.

When I arrived, the receptionist asked me to take a seat and I waited and waited. Bearing it mind it was a week day just after New Year I expected there to be some kind of enthusiasm amongst the sales 'executives', but there was none!

Eventually after 20 mins or so, I had to ask at reception and they did get somebody along to see me. I did take the test drive, but I almost sensed they took me out as part of their duty, there was no enthusiasm.

My initial excitement had waned but I did enjoy driving the car.

When we got back to the dealer, the sales executive did not really say much, and it was left to me to ask about possible deals. He came back with something like, we are really busy right now, we will give you a call!  :angry:

After 2 days I had heard nothing so I sounded out another dealer 30 miles away who were only too pleased to do a deal. Needless to say I bought a car from them instead!

I did phone the original dealer stating my experience, they did apologise and sorry to have lost me as a customer, but I suspect at the time, as the Scirocco was new and exciting, they knew they would have plenty of other punters to pick and choose between.

I am sure if I had been there to buy a mid-range Golf or something, they would have made more effort, but it tarnished the whole experience.

MK7.5 2020, Isaac Blue, standard spec

Gone but certainly not forgotten Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TSI

Offline Duke Dickson

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 24 June 2017, 03:05 »
Several years back (2009 in fact) just after the new Scirocco was launched, I pre-arranged a test drive in a Scirocco at my local dealer.

When I arrived, the receptionist asked me to take a seat and I waited and waited. Bearing it mind it was a week day just after New Year I expected there to be some kind of enthusiasm amongst the sales 'executives', but there was none!

Eventually after 20 mins or so, I had to ask at reception and they did get somebody along to see me. I did take the test drive, but I almost sensed they took me out as part of their duty, there was no enthusiasm.

My initial excitement had waned but I did enjoy driving the car.

When we got back to the dealer, the sales executive did not really say much, and it was left to me to ask about possible deals. He came back with something like, we are really busy right now, we will give you a call!  :angry:

After 2 days I had heard nothing so I sounded out another dealer 30 miles away who were only too pleased to do a deal. Needless to say I bought a car from them instead!

I did phone the original dealer stating my experience, they did apologise and sorry to have lost me as a customer, but I suspect at the time, as the Scirocco was new and exciting, they knew they would have plenty of other punters to pick and choose between.

I am sure if I had been there to buy a mid-range Golf or something, they would have made more effort, but it tarnished the whole experience.

Many are somewhere between bad & dreadful. They're almost set up to deal with the 90% who don't care, plus make as much money as possible for the company and them.

For most, the 'big money' comes from those who don't know, or care - they'll feel good about a couple of hundred off, take the finance and only care about the monthlies, including the phalanx of interestingly priced add-ons.

If you have a clue, you're hard work & best only dealt with, in the main, around deadline day, and/or the wrong time of the year. Bonuses count, but individual bonuses count as much.

The VW chap I dealt with was fine & not too far away from being a good one, albeit the back up was as expected (with assumed comedy value on the add-ons).

There are some genuine good guys out there who realise that the right attitude & long term gain Vs short-term opportunity works better. Not VW, but if anyone fancies a shift to BMW, TRL (aka Tony Lewis) is one of the good guys. I was going to get a M135/M140 or 2 equivalent from him - I came close with the man but didn't, which was all my end & circumstances. He was and is deserving of a built up reputation, so it does work.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #24 on: 24 June 2017, 08:01 »
My wife has just ordered her new car, an Evoque, and the salesmen at both dealerships we visited were pretty useless.
I spent a few hours researching the car as I had no idea about Range Rovers, and after a brief conversation with a couple of salesmen, I realised I knew more than them about the car :smiley:

Showed them my DTD quote and they beat it with no hassle to be honest.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 24 June 2017, 14:29 »
A quick response to the comment by Exonian regarding people who don't know what PCP is...I'm one of them! I've purchased around 66 vehicles in my legal driving lifetime and have decided to keep my last one...that's a fair amount of haggling and dealing over the years but I've rarely been 'sold up the creek'.

Reading through the numerous posts on this forum and others, I find that I just get confused with all these acronyms and end up doing my homework all by myself....find the car, walk in with the cash and drive out.

I could type a description of PCP if you like but everyone would fall asleep very rapidly.  :nerd:

After I (stupidly) sold my R before Xmas I spotted by chance the VW offers on the run out mk7 Golfs a couple of days before Christmas Day. Having just sold a mk7 I decided it would be pretty daft to go out and buy another so I left it a few days until curiosity got the better of me and I decided my challenge was to buy the cheapest Performance Golf I could get brand new (bearing in mind I had a car to part ex headline discounts were far less important than the overall cost to change).
I contacted a few sales guys and ran a few carwow quotes over New Year and found pretty much the same as yourself.
New Year is the worst possible time to try and buy a new car.
The part exchange underwriters are all off on their holidays as it's a deadly quiet time of year, the sales execs are having a breather and I'm guessing from the lack of enthusiasm from the trade that VW have set their sales targets at the lowest possible level due to a very quiet market.
I got there in the end but it was a frustrating experience in some ways and my own enthusiasm nose dived as much as the sales execs.

My wife has just ordered her new car, an Evoque, and the salesmen at both dealerships we visited were pretty useless.
I spent a few hours researching the car as I had no idea about Range Rovers, and after a brief conversation with a couple of salesmen, I realised I knew more than them about the car :smiley:

Showed them my DTD quote and they beat it with no hassle to be honest.

Cool choice by Mrs Kali, I do like Evoques
gizzywizzy on the mk6 forum ended up in an Evoque and seemed very pleased with it last we spoke (which admittedly was far too long ago).
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #26 on: 24 June 2017, 17:44 »
Exonian...just quick meaning of the term will do, thanks. In my part of the world PCP refers to drugs (Angel Dust) and will get you 10+ yrs in the slammer if you get caught with it!

I'll be interested what it means in the UK.

:wink:
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 24 June 2017, 21:55 »
Exonian...just quick meaning of the term will do, thanks. In my part of the world PCP refers to drugs (Angel Dust) and will get you 10+ yrs in the slammer if you get caught with it!

Where I'm from angel dust was a growth promoter for cattle  :laugh:

PCP means Personal Contract Purchase so basically it means that you do a deal with VW finance to buy a car and they will give you a guaranteed future value of the car at the end of the PCP and you can hand the car back and stop the payments or buy the car from them.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 25 June 2017, 08:14 »
As agreed with alot of the comments back in mid 2009 we were looking around for a new Scirocco as it was a gorgeous looking car that had just been rereleased.
Did the usual ringing round with the spec I wanted went to a dealer my brother in law had dealt with for years Hayseldens of Barnsley ( independent dealer ) arranged to go to see them.
Had the test drivery discussed spec and price went away with a smile to mull it over and look at other prices dropped on with Auto bytes and exactly the same car new build was about £1100 cheaper printed off the email went back to Hayseldens they agreed to match price but I pushed them to beat it and got a set of Scirocco mats with embroidered logo so that's where the wife's scirocco came from.
Fast forward 7 year when looking for my Gti Hayseldens came up trumps again excellent knowledge about the Gti these guys actually care about what they are selling and service is 2nd to none from these guys and got the car at a price I was happy to pay :whistle:
2010 Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TDI
2016 Carbon Grey Gti 2.0 Fully Loaded

COLLECTED 29/4/2016 and well pleased with the GTI😆😆

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #29 on: 25 June 2017, 12:34 »

Where I'm from angel dust was a growth promoter for cattle  :laugh:

PCP means Personal Contract Purchase so basically it means that you do a deal with VW finance to buy a car and they will give you a guaranteed future value of the car at the end of the PCP and you can hand the car back and stop the payments or buy the car from them.

Thanks for clarifying that for me...all good now.

The few head of cattle we have over here also use a growth promoter...they call it grass!  :cool:
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.