Author Topic: What are car salesmen (sorry executives) for?  (Read 9859 times)

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
Re: What are car salesmen (sorry executives) for?
« Reply #30 on: 25 June 2017, 22:39 »
Having recently bought a Mk7 Golf and currently in the process of trying to buy a Polo for my parents, I'm beginning to wonder what they actually do.

You arrive at the dealer and get guided towards reception as there is no one else about. A sales person gets called out of whatever room they're kept in and introduced to you. After telling them what you have come to see, they will show you around the car you have come to see, wittering on about completely pointless aspects of said car. When you throw some technical questions at them that you already know the answers to, they spout out the first thing that comes into their head, which is inevitably wrong.

After a test drive where they show incredibly slovenly driving techniques, whilst still spouting more drivel before letting you take the helm, you are ushered over to the coffee machine while they go and talk to their manager about the deal.

You have obviously done your sums before getting there, so after what seems like for ever, they produce a tablet with completely unrealistic deal on it. The starting deal I had for the Polo included GAP and GardX, none of which I had asked for. Perhaps they are now miss selling this as opposed to PPI? When told how completely unacceptable the deal is, they have to go off to see their manager again. This can happen several times, each time taking longer and longer, probably in the hope that you'll cave in and accept their crazy offer.

Why the hell can't we just deal with one person and do battle face to face across a desk? That's how it always was. I know they do it as it's easier for the sales person to say no, when they make out it's not them actually saying no, but where's the sport in that? I hate buying cars with a passion. I don't know how you serial car changers can keep going through this. Arrggggghhhhhh.

Not only that, but what do all the spare people do at the dealers? Whilst waiting around for the next offer to come back from the manager, countless people who look like they spend far too much time getting ready in the morning, mill around. Not going anywhere in particular, not carrying anything, in fact not appearing to be doing anything at all. Are these the other sales people (sorry, executives) getting some exercise?

One plus note to all this, the commercial boys are far better to deal with. No messing, one to one haggling and a deal reached. Buying the Amarok was fun, but the cars...

PM sent Simon, let me know what you are after and I will do what I can to help

Any idea Evo if the sound and sport pack is going to become available to order on the Mk7.5 GTD in the near future?

Hi,

Sorry for late reply, there is no news as to if or when the sport and sound pack will become an option again on GTD.

It's a real shame because it was a very reasonably priced option and gave the car a really fruity sound.

Regards,

Lee Evans
Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.

Offline linc-dub

• Here all the time
« Reply #31 on: 28 June 2017, 07:35 »
Having recently bought a Mk7 Golf and currently in the process of trying to buy a Polo for my parents, I'm beginning to wonder what they actually do.

You arrive at the dealer and get guided towards reception as there is no one else about. A sales person gets called out of whatever room they're kept in and introduced to you. After telling them what you have come to see, they will show you around the car you have come to see, wittering on about completely pointless aspects of said car. When you throw some technical questions at them that you already know the answers to, they spout out the first thing that comes into their head, which is inevitably wrong.

After a test drive where they show incredibly slovenly driving techniques, whilst still spouting more drivel before letting you take the helm, you are ushered over to the coffee machine while they go and talk to their manager about the deal.

You have obviously done your sums before getting there, so after what seems like for ever, they produce a tablet with completely unrealistic deal on it. The starting deal I had for the Polo included GAP and GardX, none of which I had asked for. Perhaps they are now miss selling this as opposed to PPI? When told how completely unacceptable the deal is, they have to go off to see their manager again. This can happen several times, each time taking longer and longer, probably in the hope that you'll cave in and accept their crazy offer.

Why the hell can't we just deal with one person and do battle face to face across a desk? That's how it always was. I know they do it as it's easier for the sales person to say no, when they make out it's not them actually saying no, but where's the sport in that? I hate buying cars with a passion. I don't know how you serial car changers can keep going through this. Arrggggghhhhhh.

Not only that, but what do all the spare people do at the dealers? Whilst waiting around for the next offer to come back from the manager, countless people who look like they spend far too much time getting ready in the morning, mill around. Not going anywhere in particular, not carrying anything, in fact not appearing to be doing anything at all. Are these the other sales people (sorry, executives) getting some exercise?

One plus note to all this, the commercial boys are far better to deal with. No messing, one to one haggling and a deal reached. Buying the Amarok was fun, but the cars...

PM sent Simon, let me know what you are after and I will do what I can to help

Any idea Evo if the sound and sport pack is going to become available to order on the Mk7.5 GTD in the near future?

Hi,

Sorry for late reply, there is no news as to if or when the sport and sound pack will become an option again on GTD.

It's a real shame because it was a very reasonably priced option and gave the car a really fruity sound.

Regards,

Lee Evans

Hi Lee
I completely agree with your sentiments as my Mk7 GTD has Sport & Sound and I will be parting with that in September for my new Mk7.5 GTD and it will be the thing I'll miss most.  At least I'm happier knowing there is no sight of it yet though, so I'll not feel that I should have waited longer for the potential of it coming back on the options list.  Thanks for the update.
Picked up 02.09.17 Mk7.5 GTD Isaac Blue, Manual 5 Drs, DCC, Reversing Camera, Keyless, 90% tints, Heated front screen, Mudflaps all round

Sep 2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Carbon Grey, Manual, 5 Drs, DCC, Reversing Camera, Sat Nav, Keyless, Sport & Sound, Mudflaps all round

2013 63 plate Mk7 GTD, Manual, 5 doors, Carbon Grey Metalic, ACC, Reversing Camera, Mudflaps front & rear - Took delivery October 2013

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 28 June 2017, 10:19 »
You can retrofit it if you get the kit from Kufatec.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 28 June 2017, 12:47 »
I've been trying to sort out a test drive in a GT86 and made the mistake of wandering on off the street when I was on my way to a meeting. Filled in their online I want a test drive form and they are now comping at the bit.

Have to admit I do it slightly differently, send them what I want and the best deal I have seen and then arrange an pop down for an appointment, its a bit of a joke but we got the 7R down to under ten minutes in the dealership. The M2 was even less and ordered over the phone with the same dealer group.

Why would I pay slightly more than DTD with my dealer who I have a long relationship with, well they have been modification friendly, when they has been issues like R seats they got me a loan one for two months and a free upgrade etc.

My dealer of choice is now 30 miles away but I still use them for this reason.

For me I just don't see buying a new car as a big deal these days and want my ar$e kissing, the deposit for the M2 CS I have just put down was done in a similar manner.

Offline linc-dub

• Here all the time
« Reply #34 on: 29 June 2017, 21:14 »

£1,000 + fitting is too expensive I'm afraid.
Picked up 02.09.17 Mk7.5 GTD Isaac Blue, Manual 5 Drs, DCC, Reversing Camera, Keyless, 90% tints, Heated front screen, Mudflaps all round

Sep 2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Carbon Grey, Manual, 5 Drs, DCC, Reversing Camera, Sat Nav, Keyless, Sport & Sound, Mudflaps all round

2013 63 plate Mk7 GTD, Manual, 5 doors, Carbon Grey Metalic, ACC, Reversing Camera, Mudflaps front & rear - Took delivery October 2013

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 29 June 2017, 22:31 »

£1,000 + fitting is too expensive I'm afraid.

I look on it this way, would I rather spend 1k on say a sunroof or a Kuafec kit, well I know which I'd get the most enjoyment from. It is all a matter of priority I suppose.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 29 June 2017, 22:44 »
Is it just the UK that doesn't get the Sport & Sound pack? I'm sure I saw a photo of a mk7.5 GTD with red calipers.
7.5 GTD

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 29 June 2017, 22:48 »
Is it just the UK that doesn't get the Sport & Sound pack? I'm sure I saw a photo of a mk7.5 GTD with red calipers.

I think other countries can opt for red calipers, not the sound part.

Offline mariamartinez

• Not said much yet
« Reply #38 on: 01 July 2017, 12:53 »
sale people are there for three reasons

1. to persuade you to buy something
2. to get you to pay the highest price possible
3. to give you information or test drive or smiles to achieve #1 and #2

If you know what you want and the price you want to pay, they have effectively no role, except filing in some forms.

M.

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #39 on: 01 July 2017, 20:42 »
Now sir/mdm are you looking to buy today? ffs! Don't, I would be serving time, due respects to you poor souls that have to go to such measures. Check out 'White Gold' to see how it was at it's worst.
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.