Author Topic: Active Info Display  (Read 31205 times)

Offline ccaasjf

• Not said much yet
Active Info Display
« on: 04 June 2017, 09:40 »
Hiya,

Is it me but do you think this option takes some character away from the dash area because it is so flat. Personally if I was ordering a new GTI today I would delete this option and have the normal dials in the bins.

IMO it would have been better to have the TFT's  in the bins rather than a single flat unit.

Discuss ....

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
Re: Active Info Display
« Reply #1 on: 04 June 2017, 10:07 »
Well, it's standard in the R and Having experienced it for 3 weeks can report it is brilliant and I would pay extra for it for sure. Everyone who sees it loves it. The size, the info is terrific. And no i don't miss the gauges when it's dead.

It is shame the needles aren't blue though! Go for it you will not regret it, and I am very old school.
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 04 June 2017, 10:18 »
I think to maintain the resale value of the car you'd need to spec the digital dashboard. All manufacturers are going that way as it's a cheap way of providing the features people expect from cars. As vehicles become more autonomous and people more hooked on gadgets then it's just a natural progression.
Unfortunately the mk7 dash wasn't designed from the outset for digital gauges so it does look a bit half baked when switched off which I'm sure will be designed out from the offset on the mk8 where you'd expect it to look a lot more harmonious.

The dials on the mk7R are absolutely beautiful (IMO) but the rest of the mk7 range have pretty dull gauges (the mk6 and mk5 fared better) and I'm sure the digital gauges will get more style eventually as each generation passes.
I can see manufacturers employing graphic designers from big named corporations (apple, google etc) and maybe even going for limited runs of 'designer' digital displays in years to come (possibly as expensive options), maybe not conservative VW but certainly some of the more fashion conscious marques. A digital display to mimic your favourite Omega watch sir? Cheap for the manufacturers to produce and a high profit margin as an optional extra that would just need a bit of coding to activate...
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Ritchie2

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 04 June 2017, 11:30 »
I think when you see the new display in the flesh, most peoples concerns will fade away. The only suggestion I would have for VW (and I expect it will become reality in the future) is that I would like to be able to customise the colours/fonts etc, possibly using a phone app, to make it a bit more personal; to the user.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 04 June 2017, 11:56 »
Hated it on the RS4 test drive years ago and still don't like it on the new R. Too busy and seems flat and featureless. It is the future but give me proper dials over that every time.

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2017, 12:25 »
It's an option I would add to every non-sports car I would own from now on as it looks fresh and cool and when performance/sports feel is not a concern, any tech gadget is welcome. However I don't think digital screens have any place in performance cars, simply put, no needle no party. I actually was the "Playstation generation" back in the 90's so one could expect I would be all excited about digital dashes etc. but I think that the total flat screen, as the OP said, takes away a lot from the character of a performance car. I mean when I'm driving even something as humble as a GTI I don't need to watch the full map, weather updates or other crap on the driver dash, I'd rather have the red needles remind me in which car I am, there's always the main dash screen for everything else.

Exonian put it very well in that you might want to opt it only due to resale value purposes but personally it reminds me of playing Gran Turismo. And if there's one thing modern cars didn't need is even more fake (non-analog) stuff. I think a smart thing would be to keep the analog needles but have enough screen to play behind them and in-between, that could be best of both worlds if done properly but that totally flat thing currently in such cars is just wrong.

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 04 June 2017, 15:14 »
Blimey nit-picking, harmonious, half-baked. This is the first generation and way outperforms the previous analogue dials for purpose. Information, and safety. All of which is in your eye line.
For sure the Mk8 will be better and the next but here and now it's a bloody brilliant leap forward and yes enhances the driving experience. Well it does for me. I'm personally glad they didn't wait. I'll let others decide when they drive with it over a period, I doubt any will want to go back. These are sophisticated cars, I certainly wouldn't spec it in a Caterham. A small selection of the variable displays.

Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline dereks

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 04 June 2017, 15:54 »
I love it, looking to change my GTi budget was problem going to mean a used R but might consider a new GTi instead as the 7.5 looks great inside and out.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 04 June 2017, 16:10 »
It's the future and I think it would be expected to be there in a facelift mk7 (especially as it's standard) so that's a consideration for future trade-in/private sale.  In its current form is too flat and bland looking for my liking, and not up to the standard of some other active display offerings.  Why there are no colour coded fake needles is beyond me, the ability to customise it in such a way would be a small step in the right direction.  This first incarnation leaves me a bit cold, but will no doubt catch up with a version in some future Golf (mk8) but in no rush to wave goodbye to the beautiful classical analogue dials.

« Last Edit: 04 June 2017, 16:20 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #9 on: 04 June 2017, 20:26 »

I'm not sure I can say from the pics if that's a Golf? or a Tiguan? or wait, a Passat? Oh sorry you said it's an R... you get the point. Wait, there's not even a virtual needle? Just the tip of it going around the rev/speed range, is that all? I think I've seen that design in buses' dials... Why you can't customize it to a (still fake) but more resembling proper sports dial is beyond me and these pics make me worry even less about it until the next gen comes out and improves things (if...).