Author Topic: Fuel pump housing on 16V kjet  (Read 2742 times)

Offline baxmant5

• Just got here
Fuel pump housing on 16V kjet
« on: 23 May 2017, 13:54 »
Hi all

I've recently replaced the fuel pump on my 16V project that I started year. The plastic housing that the pump sits in is looking a bit rough, and there is a tiny amount of fuel weeping out, probably out of the join.

I know these plastic housings are impossible to get, so just wondering whether anyone has replaced theirs with an aluminium swirl pot and external pump? I'd really appreciate any ideas on how to do this as I suspect the old housing won't pass the MOT.

My latest job has been to strip out the fuel injection lines and paint them. New seals on the injectors. The needle in the metering head needed a clean, as did the small roller on the air flap, but the car is now running.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: Fuel pump housing on 16V kjet
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2017, 13:57 »
My 16v runs a mk3 tank and pump. Runs well. Could do with an accumilater under still but hasnt effected it.
Ive also had the plastic housing repaired on a old housing years ago with aruldyte.

There must be beytter ways once the fuels all tryed out and such. But ill be sticking to my mk3 tank. Easier to find parts

Offline baxmant5

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2017, 14:09 »
Cheers for the reply lemski.

The kjet needs around 5 bar pressure from the pump. I was under the impression that mk3s have in-tank pumps which are lower pressure?

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2017, 14:16 »
They do have an intank pump. And i can assure you they run enough pressure. Its the set up i drive with.
Going down the mk3 route allows for you to fit a high pressure pump in tank and just run the filter under the car which is what ill be doing next when i get round to buying a high pressure pump.

You can also run a mk2 golf 8v gti pump under the car if you dont feel like swapping tanks. Itll also run the car.

If i dont have too much on alater ill open my tank and see if there's  a part. Number on my pump because its 5 bar of pressure when a gauge is on it

Offline baxmant5

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2017, 13:47 »
Perfect, thanks for the advice.