Author Topic: Anything wrong with red?  (Read 3926 times)

Offline Madeinireland

• Just got here
Anything wrong with red?
« on: 22 May 2017, 19:35 »
Hi,

I'm new on the forum as I'm considering buying a GTI PP 7.5. I've always wanted a GTI and will likely order one through DTD in the next couple of months.

I'm thinking of a red one. I notice that a lot of reviews on the Golf are of red cars and I'm fed up with blue as my last couple of cars were blue and my wife has a blue car. I like the look of the red car but also notice that not many people on here seem to suggest red as a good colour to go for.  I'm aware that in the past red cars tended to fade in colour but I thought that was not an issue these days.

Is there some other reason why red would not be a good colour to go for? Am I missing something?

I'm starting to think that I'm in a very small minority in liking red so come all you red loving GTI owners - give me some confidence that my choice is sound. Alternatively happy to hear from others that think I would be mad to order in that colour and the reason why.

Thanks..

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
Re: Anything wrong with red?
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2017, 19:39 »
Red is an excellent choice for a GTI, in fact some members will tell you it's THE best colour for a GTI ( you know who I mean Watts) :grin:
Go for it :smiley:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2017, 19:45 »
Red would have been my second choice. I have always been anti-red but the mk7 GTI has turned my opinion around.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2017, 19:50 »
Red is an excellent choice for a GTI, in fact some members will tell you it's THE best colour for a GTI ( you know who I mean Watts) :grin:
Go for it :smiley:

Eh? I must have been misquoted :wink:

Madeinireland - nothing wrong with red, if you like it, go for it. I love mine. And last I looked on the'which colour' thread it was second in the voting.

2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2017, 19:57 »
There's nothing wrong at all with red. It's one of the classic GTi colours.

Some people really like it, some not so much.

But as long as you like it, then go for it.
7.5 GTD

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2017, 21:25 »
I'm glad you asked :wink: Red is the ONLY vibrant colour to choose. It really suits the sporty character of the GTI. :cool:

Though to be honest it was my 3rd choice. Reflex Silver was discontinued and I eventually decided that Tungsten Silver was too conservative for a GTI. The other colours were too light or too dark. So that left red.

My wife has a red A3. It really suits that car too. Though not the easiest colour to kept looking good.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2017, 21:26 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline Mustabuster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2017, 21:29 »
Red is a good colour for the GTI but personally i wanted the red highlights on the grille and the badges to contrast against another colour rather than having red on red.
Jan '17: Golf mk7 GTI PP
5 dr, DSG, Carbon Grey, 19" Santiago wheels.

Offline Madeinireland

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2017, 22:12 »
Thanks all  - makes me feel a whole lot better with that as a choice. I understand the point about the contrast with the badges etc. but to me I think it matches in a nicer way with the tartan seats etc.

Cheers!!!

Offline drisser

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 22 May 2017, 22:57 »
Daily drive - LCI BMW 330 D Estoril Blue & Saddle leather. M sport + Pack / Prof Nav / Head Up / Heated Seats
On the way - CS ed 40 tornado red, manual, 3 door
Weekend fun - low mileage portofino blue 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
2017 Build Slot reserved for BMW M2

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2017, 08:46 »
I really like the red when contrasted with black and darkened features, think the CS looks particularly good in red with its features and decals.

Think the GTI looks better than R, though the most important thing is to keep it shiny as red does go a little flat if not given a decent clean and polish.

To be honest there is no real bad colour on any of the performance golfs, its just preferences when you read views, all look pretty amazing in good light as most colours ping
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC