Author Topic: Mk7.5 R Estate  (Read 2370 times)

Offline Adamidae

• Just got here
Mk7.5 R Estate
« on: 22 May 2017, 09:11 »
Love it, goes like sh*t off a shovel, but a few minor things:

- The Mode button is a fiddle, could really do with a button on the steering wheel for switching to Race.  Reaching across the gear lever, then either multiple presses or a touch on the touchscreen, is a faff
- Where's the exhaust noise piped through the speaker, like in the Mk7 R Estate I test-drove?  I know it's a gimmick but I did like it
- Parallel parking option wasn't available - or at least, no VW people could tell me which option to tick for it
- The new car tax rules are ridiculous - have to miss out on some extras to keep under £40k, despite actually paying several k's less.  It's like basing house stamp duty on the price you list your house for, not the price it sells at - nonsensical!

Options:

Lapiz Blue Metallic                                             
Black Vienna Leather R  (including heated seats)                                     
Dynamic Chassis Control                                    
Rear View Camera                                            
Panoramic Sunroof                                                                                
Active Display 

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Mk7.5 R Estate
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2017, 09:24 »
Should have ditched the leather and and sunroof to keep the costs down :)

Park Assist as far as I know has never been available on an Mk7/7.5 R, which is why you couldn't find it :)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Adamidae

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2017, 09:30 »

Park Assist as far as I know has never been available on an Mk7/7.5 R, which is why you couldn't find it :)

That would explain it!  Not that I want to admit to being a bad parallel parker.. ;)

Had to ditch a few things to keep list price down but really wanted heated seats & the pan roof is great! 

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2017, 09:33 »

Really, did VW give a reason for that or was it another no keyless on a 3 door even though it was at one time available.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2017, 10:19 »
- Where's the exhaust noise piped through the speaker, like in the Mk7 R Estate I test-drove?  I know it's a gimmick but I did like it

What do you mean where is it? On a brand new (non-tampered with) car it should be on in all modes but to a different level. However:

There's nothing being piped through the speakers unfortunately, the noise it makes is so un-related to the actual engine noise that it's a joke all-together. It also makes the engine sound as if it's over-strained at the slightest throttle application. What it is essentially is a vibrator against your windshield, not that I have anything with people liking vibrators :tongue: I permanently disabled it on day 2 of ownership and heard the actual engine sound which is pretty sweet, no need for artificial crap like that, try it!

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2017, 10:20 »

Really, did VW give a reason for that or was it another no keyless on a 3 door even though it was at one time available.

Its always been like it, I believe its down to the different bumpers on the R not being able to take the side sensors needed for Park Assist?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2017, 10:23 »
Had to ditch a few things to keep list price down but really wanted heated seats & the pan roof is great!

Heated seats are standard even without leather on the Mk7.5 :)

Offline Adamidae

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2017, 11:09 »

What do you mean where is it? On a brand new (non-tampered with) car it should be on in all modes but to a different level. However:

There's nothing being piped through the speakers unfortunately, the noise it makes is so un-related to the actual engine noise that it's a joke all-together. It also makes the engine sound as if it's over-strained at the slightest throttle application. What it is essentially is a vibrator against your windshield, not that I have anything with people liking vibrators :tongue: I permanently disabled it on day 2 of ownership and heard the actual engine sound which is pretty sweet, no need for artificial crap like that, try it!

Pretty sure I've not got it on mine - was really noticeable on the test-drive, like flicking a switch.  Just the engine noise now, which as you say is no bad thing.

@fredgroves - didn't know that!  Was a dearth of information on the 7.5 when I ordered. 

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 22 May 2017, 11:43 »
Try going into the mode menu, choose individual and configure - you should see an item for the "engine noise". Try different values in there - eco will be zero, race will be max.

If it hasn't got this, then they must have deleted the soundaktor, but I've never seen a 7/7.5 performance golf without it yet...

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 22 May 2017, 11:47 »

Its always been like it, I believe its down to the different bumpers on the R not being able to take the side sensors needed for Park Assist?

Thanks for the info.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17