Author Topic: CS steering wheel wear  (Read 5991 times)

Offline CS#433

• Not said much yet
CS steering wheel wear
« on: 19 May 2017, 11:02 »
Have any other CS or CSS owners noticed wear on the steering wheel?

Mines has only done 3600 miles and noticed this morning that it is feels and looks a bit bald in the area where the right hand spoke meets the rim - obviously the part that gets held most as my is manual.

I expected the wheel to wear, but only after 3600 miles, 6mths old? Any owners with higher miles noticed this or could it be a quality issue with mine?

ta

Matt
« Last Edit: 19 May 2017, 13:14 by CS#433 »

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
Re: CS steering wheel wear
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2017, 11:06 »
Have any other CS or CCS owners noticed wear on the steering wheel?

Not having a CS I'm not sure what material had been used if it's a velour type of material then wear will be a definite with prolonged periods in the same place.

Mines has only done 3600 miles and noticed this morning that it is feels and looks a bit bald in the area where the right hand spoke meets the rim - obviously the part that gets held most as my is manual.

I expected the wheel to wear, but only after 3600 miles, 6mths old? Any owners with higher miles noticed this or could it be a quality issue with mine?

ta

Matt
2010 Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TDI
2016 Carbon Grey Gti 2.0 Fully Loaded

COLLECTED 29/4/2016 and well pleased with the GTI😆😆

Offline CS#433

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2017, 12:05 »
Quote:
"Not having a CS I'm not sure what material had been used if it's a velour type of material then wear will be a definite with prolonged periods in the same place"

Yes, on the CS & CSS the wheel is suede/alcantara like the seats. My basic maths say lets assume an average of 30mph over the cars life (most of my driving is motorways and a good chunk being a trip to Essex and back from Edinburgh but no way of knowing if that figure is representative) so over 3600 miles, thats 120hrs of using the wheel total. Even assume the "spot" in question is held all the time then is this what to expect? Be interested to see what other owners say, using similar maths.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2017, 13:07 by CS#433 »

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2017, 12:29 »
Back years ago when I had a Puma racing I put the nubuck(the stuff used to keep suede shows looking good) and although it didn't look new when I sold it with over 70k on it it looked a hell of a lot better than a friends car who had less than 30k on hers.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline golfhappy

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2017, 12:57 »
If that wear according to the maths is correct, the seat material being the same, looks like your bums going to wear the seat as well!
All things being equal...the bigger the butt...the bigger the hole!!
« Last Edit: 19 May 2017, 13:01 by golfhappy »
Audi S1 gone, awaiting 1.5tsi r-line, pan roof, led lights front and rear, active dash, 18" jurva alloys and a dealer fitted Oettinger roof spoiler in tornado red.

Offline CS#433

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2017, 13:08 »
Back years ago when I had a Puma racing I put the nubuck(the stuff used to keep suede shows looking good) and although it didn't look new when I sold it with over 70k on it it looked a hell of a lot better than a friends car who had less than 30k on hers.

Thanks, may give that a try

Offline CS#433

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2017, 13:14 »
If that wear according to the maths is correct, the seat material being the same, looks like your bums going to wear the seat as well!
All things being equal...the bigger the butt...the bigger the hole!!

Only the side bolsters (i have the buckets in mine) are alcantara but I'll be keeping a close eye on them. That rate of wear on seats I think anyone would find unacceptable but not sure what to expect on the wheel as i have never had a 1 on a car before.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2017, 14:19 »
Funnily enough I was going to ask a similar question a while back but never got round to it.
Mine has well under 1k on it so far and thankfully wear free but as soon as I saw pics of Clubsport steering wheels I thought 'uh oh' that'll wear badly. I wonder what the line will be on warranty claims. I had a MOMO steering wheel in a G40 many, many years ago that had a suede finish. I bought it second hand as the standard wheel was a plastic thing. I didn't do that many miles in the G40 as I had another car but the wheel still went bald. Thankfully I haven't yet. Mind you I kept the wheel and put it in several other cars that I had as runabouts afterwards and only threw it out a couple years ago when I moved and found it in the garage with a nice covering of mould on it when I opened the box.

Mrs LRWmotorsport has a Clubsport that does big miles so hopefully Mr LRW will see this thread.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline LRWmotorsport

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2017, 14:50 »
The present Mrs LRWmotorsport has clocked up 12K since November .

The wheel is wearing in the same place as you describe near both the right and left spokes.
Didn't notice it until circa 10K.

It might be me with my double-handed death grip causing the wear as Mrs LRW adopts the gangster one handed approach to car control.

I was planning to order a replacement wheel from VW while still available. The current wheel (as much like myself) will soon be as bald as a Coot.
2015 BRSCC PGTI Championship 2nd #55
2016 BRSCC PGTI Championship 2nd (again) #25 & BARC Intermarque
2017 BRSCC PGTI CHAMPIONS #24

Offline a9wyn

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2017, 15:17 »
Wear gloves :wink:...LoL