Author Topic: Rattle from back door, drivers side.  (Read 4971 times)

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
Re: Rattle from back door, drivers side.
« Reply #20 on: 18 May 2017, 20:50 »
Rebecca, tbh I've had exactly the same problems with krytox. Leaves a messy residue on the adjoining paintwork, especially if it's raining (almost always lol) and neither do I find it any longer lasting than gummi pfledge.

If I vaguely recall, the reason I used gummi pflege for this issue many years ago was on the recommendation of a BMW dealer. That's the stuff they were giving to 3-series coupe owners who were plagued with this issue.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2017, 20:54 by JoeGTI »
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 18 May 2017, 21:14 »
I was given this stuff by the dealer for the window creaking on my CC and one application was enough for the couple of years I had the cars.

5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 18 May 2017, 21:20 »
Rebecca, tbh I've had exactly the same problems with krytox. Leaves a messy residue on the adjoining paintwork, especially if it's raining (almost always lol) and neither do I find it any longer lasting than gummi pfledge.

If I vaguely recall, the reason I used gummi pflege for this issue many years ago was on the recommendation of a BMW dealer. That's the stuff they were giving to 3-series coupe owners who were plagued with this issue.

If you get either of them on the paint it will run in rain (same with Aerospace 303) but I found Krytox less messy which may be to do with application method - gummi was applied using in-built foam applicator, Krytox I applied with fingertips which gave better control and better targeting of areas, less mess, so application can play a part I think.  But bottom line for me was Krytox was far more effective and long lasting.  I only had to do the mk6 once and never again and that was about 2 years silence iirc.  Similar to gummy with BMW, Krytox was developed as a solution to the leaky seals of the VW EOS roof.   Gummi massively cheaper and many swear by it, so maybe worth a punt, but for me it was a false economy and second time around, I've just bought a new bottle of Krytox from TPS for the R seals.  Works for me.  :smiley:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 18 May 2017, 21:24 »
Am I the only one that thought of spraying it onto a cloth first and then rubbing said cloth over the rubber? No mess at all.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 18 May 2017, 21:31 »
Am I the only one that thought of spraying it onto a cloth first and then rubbing said cloth over the rubber? No mess at all.

See I find that more hit and miss than fingertips. Same with applying dressing to window rubbers.  When I apply mine this time I'm going to use a detailing brush (the small WoWo one) as that's what I applied Aerospace 303 on my window rubbers with (at easter) and it worked brilliantly, so am expecting should be a good method for the Krytox.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 18 May 2017, 21:41 »

See I find that more hit and miss than fingertips. Same with applying dressing to window rubbers.  When I apply mine this time I'm going to use a detailing brush (the small WoWo one) as that's what I applied Aerospace 303 on my window rubbers with (at easter) and it worked brilliantly, so am expecting should be a good method for the Krytox.

It wasn't hit and miss with the amount I used, it was running down my wrist  :rolleyes:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 18 May 2017, 21:43 »

It wasn't hit and miss with the amount I used, it was running down my wrist  :rolleyes:

Could've worn a nice fluffy wooly mitt to catch those drips.  :laugh:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual