Author Topic: New tyres  (Read 4986 times)

Offline Snooze

• I live here
New tyres
« on: 17 May 2017, 12:45 »
I know this topic has been exhausted, but 4 new tyres will be landing along with a 4 wheel alignment on Saturday and I'm quite excited to be getting rid of my last 2 Bridgestones  :laugh:

So I'm planning on Continental Sport Contact 5's. Other options are Michelin PS4's or Goodyear Eagle F1's. What ya saying?
2015 Mk7 Golf Gti 3dr Manual, Carbon Steel Grey, Michelin PS4's

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: New tyres
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2017, 13:11 »
Conti 5 are good, but don't last long.

PS4's are not quite as good as the Contis but last longer.

Eagle F1's are not quite as good as the PS's and last about the same time in my experience.

Any of these are better than the OEM BS's.

I've not seen the prices, but my bet would be on PS4's for best grip vs longevity. I'm guessing all 3 are roughly in the same price bracket.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline GTD1414

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2017, 13:13 »
How do all the above compare in wet conditions?
I'm currently looking at Uniroyal rainsport 3's for my GTD.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2017, 13:39 »
Tyres aren't really a one dimensional choice.... if you were talking about road noise its a different question, as is wet stopping distance.

I was talking about (road not track levels of driving!) dry grip in the range of UK temperatures and the ability to not wheel spin in particular.

If rain stopping is a problem, I'd look at the published figures of those 3 vs whatever else.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline o`Neil

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2017, 14:01 »
I`m also considering new tyres but my main consideration is road noise.

I know that tyres are rated when advertised but in the real world this number doesn`t count for much as I have Dunlop Sportmax on at he moment which are supposed to be rated quiet but in reality they`re terrible.

Anyone recommend tyres that are actually quiet?

Offline Snooze

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2017, 14:41 »
Thanks Fred. Want them to last so I'll go ps4's.
2015 Mk7 Golf Gti 3dr Manual, Carbon Steel Grey, Michelin PS4's

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2017, 14:59 »
BTW I read this earlier:

Continental have merged the Premium Contact 5 and Sport Contact 5 ranges into one new tyre, the Premium Contact 6. Like the Michelin, the Premium Contact 6 has featured in three tests, winning two of them, and placing third in one. Unfortunately for the Continental, the test it finished third place in was won by the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 where the new Premium Contact 6 surprisingly lost out in the wet braking tests.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2017, 15:02 »
I`m also considering new tyres but my main consideration is road noise.

I know that tyres are rated when advertised but in the real world this number doesn`t count for much as I have Dunlop Sportmax on at he moment which are supposed to be rated quiet but in reality they`re terrible.

Anyone recommend tyres that are actually quiet?

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2017-Summer-Tyre-Buying-Guide.htm

Three reviews linked from there.

The difference between "good" and "bad" in the noise test is ~2db.... you won't be able to hear the difference!

I suspect the noise you are hearing is more wind and sh!tty road surface problems than tyres anyway

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2017, 15:10 »
Depends what you're after I guess. In terms of performance the new PS 4S is probably a superior tyre than all those you mention and seems much improved in the wet than the old MPSS. But it only comes in 19" (so far) and it is rather pricey being a brand new model with all the latest "technology" etc.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2017, 15:57 »
I'm facing this same dilemma soon too having kept my tyres rotated so the wear is pretty even. Currently on the original Pirellis and they're just coming up to 16k miles and I'm thinking there is 3.5mm roughly of tread left but with a service due soon I'll have that confirmed then. The Pirellis have been pretty good allrounders, performed well over winter albeit being a mild one, but they do scrabble a bit on takeoff in 1st and 2nd but then they often haven't had time to fully warm up. Was thinking of trying the Conti 6 for a change plus at about £150 a corner they fit my budget. What sort of mileage do people get then on the Contis?

2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.