Author Topic: 7.5 LED headlights - how good are they?  (Read 19176 times)

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
Re: 7.5 LED headlights - how good are they?
« Reply #20 on: 19 May 2017, 12:17 »
Link?
Sorry, link added above.

However, it looks like you are correct about VW still using a variable shutter system with their LED headlights. :undecided:

http://magazine.volkswagen.com/LED-light-technology.html

This leaves me wondering if I should change my order now :undecided:

When VW say multi led headlight technology I think what they mean is led main beam, led indicators and led DRL's.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2017, 12:33 by I wanted a GTi »
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline eatontrifles

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #21 on: 19 May 2017, 13:07 »
There seems to be a very low dome on them, you can see it when driving through trees.
That's more than likely the wide angle lens on the dashcam, it looked spot on to me and other than the two hotspots directly in front which you can see on some bumpy bits the spread was even and the range was excellent.
Mk7.5 5dr GTI DSG. Isaac Blue, Keyless, Dynaudio, DLA & Lane Assist, DCC, Art Velours.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #22 on: 19 May 2017, 13:24 »
When VW say multi led headlight technology I think what they mean is led main beam, led indicators and led DRL's.

This is what they were referring to, out of a VW press pdf for the Passat. Sorry, it won't link for me.

"4. Multi-beam lens module. The centrepiece of these headlights is the outer multi-beam lens module. In addition to the dimmed and full beams (with adapted country road and motorway light), the module also generates the dynamic cornering light. The inner flat-beam lens module, meanwhile, is responsible for illuminating the road up ahead.

5. LED headlights plus Dynamic Light Assist (level 3). In the top version, these all-LED projection headlights are additionally controlled via vehicle camera. Volkswagen is for the first time combining Dynamic Light Assist (automatic permanent full beam) with LED technology. The camera recognises any traffic in front and any vehicles in opposing traffic; this data is evaluated by the headlight electronics which coordinate the light distribution via the cornering light controller and pivoting multi-beam lens module.

6. Daytime running light consists of 32 LEDs (level 3). Another highlight of the projection LED headlights is the daytime running light with 32 LEDs. Its signature is made up of two separate modules: a large 'U' (that goes around the lens module) and a small 'U', which frames the contour of the multi-beam lens module. Beneath the daytime running light the wide indicators (twelve LEDs) emphasise the headlight's design. LEDs for the static cornering light are also positioned on the inner side of the headlight."

That's more than likely the wide angle lens on the dashcam, it looked spot on to me and other than the two hotspots directly in front which you can see on some bumpy bits the spread was even and the range was excellent.
Thanks eatontrifles. It is so hard to tell from dashcam footage. Even on my monitor.

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 19 May 2017, 13:50 »
Does VW use Hella headlights?

Best video I have found yet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOSLMs5Pma8

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 19 May 2017, 14:09 »
This is proper multi-beam from Hella - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su9f2yp_lrM

Unfortunately VW are not using this yet :sad:

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 19 May 2017, 18:16 »
Found the answer, with a nice graphic of all the generations of VW Golf - http://www.hella.com/cardriver/en/HELLA-Golf-headlamps-898.html
« Last Edit: 19 May 2017, 20:33 by Daz Auto »

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 19 May 2017, 20:31 »
Found the answer, with a nice graphic of VW Golfs - http://www.hella.com/cardriver/en/HELLA-Golf-headlamps-898.html

Hella for halegon and Bosch for xenon or just Hella for the Golf range?
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 19 May 2017, 21:22 »
Hella for halegon and Bosch for xenon or just Hella for the Golf range?

https://www.hella.com/hella-com/Headlamps-620.html

They appear to have developed the Matrix LED system used by Audi and the Multi-beam system in the Mercedes E-Class.

Offline eatontrifles

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #28 on: 21 May 2017, 23:15 »
To clarify, my 7.5 LED headlights have two projectors per headlight, I don't know if this is the same for cars without DLA as well - maybe someone with the standard lights could clarify.
Mk7.5 5dr GTI DSG. Isaac Blue, Keyless, Dynaudio, DLA & Lane Assist, DCC, Art Velours.

Offline eatontrifles

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #29 on: 22 May 2017, 22:17 »
To clarify, my 7.5 LED headlights have two projectors per headlight, I don't know if this is the same for cars without DLA as well - maybe someone with the standard lights could clarify.
Confirmation...