Author Topic: Fog and spot LED's ????  (Read 2357 times)

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
Fog and spot LED's ????
« on: 09 April 2017, 11:37 »
Is it possible to change the fog and spot light bulbs to LED's?

If so can anyone please provide the specifications of the bulbs and where to buy them?

They are not the lights I use in normal driving but when you need them you REALLY do need a good light.

Thanks in advance.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
Re: Fog and spot LED's ????
« Reply #1 on: 10 April 2017, 13:37 »
Is it possible to change the fog and spot light bulbs to LED's?

If so can anyone please provide the specifications of the bulbs and where to buy them?

They are not the lights I use in normal driving but when you need them you REALLY do need a good light.

Thanks in advance.

What model of Mk7 do you have and what do you mean by spotlight
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 13 April 2017, 17:30 »

[/quote]

What model of Mk7 do you have and what do you mean by spotlight
[/quote]

Err, Golf Oct 16, TDi 2litre
It has two lights in the lower spoiler, (I think) they are one spot and one fog.

I didnt know they were there until my detailer pointed them out to me  :whistle:

Any advice or assistance sought.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 14 April 2017, 11:11 »
Are you sure one is not Fog and the other the static cornering light?

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #4 on: 14 April 2017, 11:44 »
So your car is less than a year old and these lights have hardly been used. So they are basically new original bulbs.

When you have used them were they REALLY that poor?

I agree on the part about needing good light, but find the original fog lights and static cornering lights are fine for all they are needed for. I doubt if changing the bulbs would make much difference for their intended purpose. Especially if you are thinking of using them for fog. The whiter LED light tends to reflect more of the water particles in fog. The softer halogen light penetrates fog better and more can be seen. Brighter lights are not what you need for fog.

We both have, Xenon headlights with active corner lighting. They are a good improvement over standard Halogen headlights. Especially on country roads. Also, the self levelling system means they do not blind other drivers - as long as you get them dipped in time. Which is why I'm looking at Dynamic Light Assist for the LED headlights on the new Mk7.5 Golf. I'm hoping that system is as good as it appears to be. Each headlight is made with dozens of small LED lights. With DLA the LED headlight automatically dips just a small part of the main beam when necessary. :cool:

« Last Edit: 14 April 2017, 11:58 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 14 April 2017, 12:32 »
If you want fog lights that are better in fog it is selective yellow bulbs you need. But as there was no demand, they are no longer manufactured.

It is not because the light penetrates fog better as I thought. It is because of glare. Every days a school day.

Here is the science behind it, if you fancy a long read - https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/light_color/light_color.html

"What, then, explains the persistent subjective preference amongst experienced poor-weather drivers for selective yellow fog lamps (whether or not they happen to know that's the name of the colour), despite decades of white fog lamp prevalence? Selective yellow light can improve a driver's ability to see in fog or rain or snow, but not because it 'penetrates fog better' or 'reflects less off droplets'. In fact it's because of the way the human eye processes different colours of light. Blue, indigo, and violet are difficult for the human optical system to process correctly. They are the shortest visible wavelengths and tend to focus in front of our retina rather than upon it. To demonstrate this to yourself, after dark find a deep blue storefront sign or blue lights on an airport runway or something else that's a deep blue light emitter against a dark background in the absence of white light—from any appreciable distance, it's almost impossible for your eyes to see the blue lighted object as a sharply defined form;the edges blur. The blur effect is not present with nearby signs or lights of colours other than blue.

Blue also is a very difficult colour of light to look at; it stimulates the reaction we call glare. Within the range of allowable white light, bluer headlamps have been shown to be 46% more glaring than yellower ones for a given intensity of light — see studies here and here. So, it seems culling the blue out of the spectrum lightens the optical workload and reduces glare. For a more detailed examination of this effect with respect to driving in foul weather, see Bullough & Rea's study on the topic."

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 14 April 2017, 13:00 »
Just in case someone missed their science class and is thinking, "that's ok I don't have blue lights on my car!"

White light is a combination of the following colours - red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet.

Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain

« Last Edit: 14 April 2017, 13:04 by Daz Auto »

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 22 June 2017, 17:02 »
Wow thanks for all that, yes seriously.

I just thought LEDs might improve things a bit more but now I realise thet wouldnt.

Thanks again.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 24 June 2017, 09:44 »
I Have LED cornering lights and LED fog lights(standard). Cornering lights are much better but the white lights is useless in fog but when is it ever foggy here in the UK? So my fogs are coded to come on with the main beams and as coming home/leaving lights.