Author Topic: Speed Cameras!! Best Detector?  (Read 8980 times)

Offline Briggsy

• GTI forum regular
Re: Speed Cameras!! Best Detector?
« Reply #30 on: 11 August 2017, 22:04 »
Best detector? Your eyes and spiderman reflexes.

Offline Duke Dickson

• Not said much yet
« Reply #31 on: 12 August 2017, 00:31 »
Best detector? Your eyes and spiderman reflexes.

Add brain cells to that & you're more or less there.

Offline buddfridge

• Here all the time
« Reply #32 on: 12 August 2017, 08:33 »
I had a Toyota with Sat nav and when driving around I had the display on, it give me the speed limit of the road but even better was that speed limit turned red if you exceeded that limit.
gti pp manual white 5 door

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
« Reply #33 on: 12 August 2017, 11:45 »
I can't get it to alert me when adding the speed camera POI via Car-net. I'll try to add it via the SD card and see if that works. Bit more of a faff though!

Well, I figured it out but it's not ideal. To get alerts you have to add POI via SD Card and not Car-Net. That's fine. But you can't just get alerts i.e. if you don't want voice directions for the SatNav you turn that off but then that also turns off the POI alerts or rather instead of the alert it just turns the radio down in volume instead of the alert.

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
« Reply #34 on: 13 August 2017, 17:00 »
I gave Waze a go on a 50 mile journey today. It's good but I couldn't get the speed camera alerts to work! Tried changing the different sound settings but nothing  :sad:

Offline mariamartinez

• Not said much yet
« Reply #35 on: 29 August 2017, 15:39 »
Wow, people still reply to the notice they get after they get caught speeding?

Not recommending  :whistle: that people do this but the police have a maximum of 14 days to get the notice to you but they don't send it by registered post so they have no way of proving that you got it. They will send you a 2nd notice about 4 weeks after the first at which point you could ask your solicitor to contact them with a letter stating the rules and asking them for proof that the first(and on time) notice was delivered(not sent)

Never done it myself mind :shocked: as I've never been prosecuted for speeding.

I fell foul of this trap. Held a clean licence and I never received their initial notification letters and was shocked when they said it it was sent but not recorded/signed for. Nevertheless I was speeding 38 in a 30mph with a mobile camera (sorry about that) but knew nothing about it until a court summons arrived!! The offence went to court in July 2017 but I was speeding in Jan2017. I pleaded guilty and wrote a letter to say the letters didn't arrive and thus at the very least I should be fined the punishment at the time of the offence. they ignored this and fined me £480 plus costs and three points under the new regulations which came in late april. I wrote to the court to complain and received no reply once again. pretty horrible for a 38mph offence.

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 29 August 2017, 15:48 »
Waze works very well for me.  you have to make sure you have all alerts turn on and the phone isn't muted.  make sure you have latest version of the app.
2014 Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr in Carbon Grey, 18s, leather

Gone but not forgotten '07 Mk5 GTI DSG (2006 to 2014)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #37 on: 29 August 2017, 16:01 »

Not recommending  :whistle: that people do this but the police have a maximum of 14 days to get the notice to you but they don't send it by registered post so they have no way of proving that you got it. They will send you a 2nd notice about 4 weeks after the first at which point you could ask your solicitor to contact them with a letter stating the rules and asking them for proof that the first(and on time) notice was delivered(not sent)

I fell foul of this trap. Held a clean licence and I never received their initial notification letters and was shocked when they said it it was sent but not recorded/signed for. Nevertheless I was speeding 38 in a 30mph with a mobile camera (sorry about that) but knew nothing about it until a court summons arrived!! The offence went to court in July 2017 but I was speeding in Jan2017. I pleaded guilty and wrote a letter to say the letters didn't arrive and thus at the very least I should be fined the punishment at the time of the offence. they ignored this and fined me £480 plus costs and three points under the new regulations which came in late april. I wrote to the court to complain and received no reply once again. pretty horrible for a 38mph offence.

IANAL but....http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=115460&view=findpost&p=1311767
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #38 on: 29 August 2017, 22:53 »

Sorry it is too late now but you need to ask them for proof that the letter was delivered and not sent and it should never go anywhere near a court. I 'know someone that have used this many time's but not me! :whistle:

You need two things, know what to do and a either a solicitor that knows the law, you'd be surprised how many don't. Luckily I have a friend that done it for me. It is just a standard letter as in one you might send to your bank to claim for PPI or bank charges. It really is easy but sorry you got done.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17