Author Topic: Speed Cameras!! Best Detector?  (Read 8931 times)

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
Speed Cameras!! Best Detector?
« on: 18 February 2017, 16:59 »
On a trip up to Carlisle and into Scotland we encountered 4 mobile camera vans, all in North Yorkshire and all but one at places where cars speed due to the road geography, rather than obvious black spots. No excuse for speeding, I know, but it's just so easy to be a few mph high and get a penalty. I know I'm OK for 2 of them, but feeling marginal on the other 2.

Thinking it's time to get some sort of detector in the car and looking at the Snooper 4Zero. Has anyone any experience of these, or any better recomendations. I'm looking for something reliable that's not going to annoy me with loads of false alarms etc. I didn't really want to go down this route, but the possibility of collecting a whole load of points very quickly has worried me!

It's only a couple of weeks since I came face to face with a mobile van at what must have been just enough under 80 to be OK!
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Speed Cameras!! Best Detector?
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2017, 18:59 »
Mobile camera vans use lasers usually. The don't plip every car, the operator targets vehicles he/she thinks are going too fast.

The laser hits you and it bounces a couple of pings off of you to basically get a distance over time. It takes ~0.3 seconds to complete the lasing.

If you think that a detector will give you warning in time to react in less than 0.3 seconds and brake AND slow down...

All it might do is give you notice sooner than 14 days that the ticket has been issued..

You could get one of the GPS location systems, they do sort of work and do have common mobile locations in them. Probably just easier to try to keep under the speed limit than be binged and bonged at every 5 minutes though.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2017, 19:28 »
I use my cruise control to keep me legal...set it about 3 - 5mph over the limit, sit back and enjoy.

Has worked very well for me over many years.
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 18 February 2017, 19:39 »
Pointless with laser as said if they can see you they can get your speed. If you want to waste your money try the Road Angel gem but you need a subscription and probably cheaper to take the fine in the long run.

Offline GTI_Ant

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2017, 20:16 »
Drive down the road twice.  If it's not there the first time chances are it won't be there half an hour later.
GTi Clubsport DCC winter pack rear camera
Previous:
7.5R 3dr DSG DPB Prets Dynaudio
MK7 GTI PP Tungsten Silver Manual Nav Dynaudio Winter Pack Park Assist

Offline GeoBog

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 18 February 2017, 20:57 »
Just add speed cameras POIs to your sat nav and you're sorted. :rolleyes:
2020 VW T-Cross SEL
2020 Renault Megane RS Trophy 300
2012 Fiat 500 Twinair
2007 Renault Megane 2
------------------------------------------
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.

Offline falconmick

• GTI forum regular
  • Golf MK7 R
« Reply #6 on: 19 February 2017, 00:06 »
Police usually publish on their force website where cameras will be operating the forthcoming week.

Offline Sandtrap

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 19 February 2017, 05:45 »
I learned the hard way after getting banned for 6 months for points totting up ... caught doing 80 in a 70 zone was the one that tipped me over 11 points ... now it's set ACC at 75mph and 63mph .. the 6 month ban did its job for me .
2014 GTI Performance
2012 Golf R DSG
2010 GTD
2008 GTD
2007 GTI

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 19 February 2017, 08:14 »
Police usually publish on their force website where cameras will be operating the forthcoming week.

They do, and I have looked at that page a few times. As you will probably know, it's not so many years since North Yorkshire had no speed traps, fixed or mobile. They had just a couple of vans for quite a time, but now seem to have a few more, so time to take a bit more care.

I learned the hard way after getting banned for 6 months for points totting up ... caught doing 80 in a 70 zone was the one that tipped me over 11 points ... now it's set ACC at 75mph and 63mph .. the 6 month ban did its job for me.

Yes, I was thinking of setting the speed warning bongs in a similar way. Probably no more annoying than a detector! So easy to get points and a ban must be hard to take!

Does nobody use a detector?
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 19 February 2017, 08:25 »
Wow, people still reply to the notice they get after they get caught speeding?

Not recommending  :whistle: that people do this but the police have a maximum of 14 days to get the notice to you but they don't send it by registered post so they have no way of proving that you got it. They will send you a 2nd notice about 4 weeks after the first at which point you could ask your solicitor to contact them with a letter stating the rules and asking them for proof that the first(and on time) notice was delivered(not sent)

Never done it myself mind :shocked: as I've never been prosecuted for speeding.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17