Author Topic: Ignition Switch problem - with a slight twist  (Read 6383 times)

Offline skunkmunkey3000

• Just got here
Ignition Switch problem - with a slight twist
« on: 15 February 2017, 20:57 »
Hi guys,

Sorry to join up and instantly start asking questions, I've done quite a bit of googling on this but can only find part answers to my question.

I seem to have the usual suspect ignition switch problem - the stereo stays on when you switch the car off, the lights behind the heater controls don't seem to work and the clock/mileage etc on the dash stay on when I take the key out. However a previous owner has bypassed the issue to an extent and fitted a hidden start button. I don't mind the button too much ( you still need the key to start the car).

I've looked through the various guides for fitting the switch and it all seems pretty straightforward however is this then gonna be screwed up by the start button? Also the car has an aftermarket immobiliser fitted that doesn't currently work - I have a random key fob in the ashtray and a button thing on the dash to press it up against (looks like an old Cobra system I had on an old 8v years ago), is this likely to affect things?

Does anyone have any suggestions on if this is worth trying to rectify or if I'm better just to live with it as it is?

Sorry for the huge first post, hi by the way ! :-p

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: Ignition Switch problem - with a slight twist
« Reply #1 on: 15 February 2017, 21:03 »
The start button will id have thought be wired into the back of the ignition switch plug. So if you change the switch you could just cut the button out.
The alarm may have been bypasses because of the ignition switch problem. They may have thought it was the alarm interfering some how

Offline skunkmunkey3000

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 15 February 2017, 21:16 »
I'll get a switch and have a look - presume worst case scenario, I just have to put it back to it's current state. Should an R reg 16v have an immobiliser as standard, the guy I got it from says he doesn't think it has a chip in the key but I thought the later ones had some factory fitted security.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #3 on: 15 February 2017, 21:54 »
They should have a chip in the key yes. Around the ignition there should be a black halo with some wires. Thats for the chip with key

Offline gasketface

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 16 February 2017, 09:36 »
its not hard to replace the switch but dont buy a cheap replacement as they notoriously fail.

Offline LR5V

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 26 February 2017, 23:06 »
mine had a button fitted, was delighted to bin it when I finally worked out it was the ignition switch.
2 ways to replace column in or column out, cant remember what I did but it was the non VW way - it needing a small jewellers screwdriver. Topran brand switch was fine.

Offline skunkmunkey3000

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 27 February 2017, 07:05 »
Thanks for the responses. I've got a few other bits to sort out on the car but will get round to replacing the switch eventually and let you know how I get on :-)

Offline skunkmunkey3000

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 08 March 2017, 14:26 »
Finally got round to replacing the switch today, getting the steering column back into the union joint was a right PITA but anyway it's now all done. Unfortunately it hasn't really solved anything - the radio still stays on when the car is turned off and the fuel gauge still won't recognise a full tank until the battery has been disconnected.

Also now have a new problem of having the airbag warning light now showing up - presume this is my own fault as the battery was connected/disconnected multiple times, sometimes with the air bag connected and other times without. Is there a way to reset this to fix the problem (without just removing the bulb)?

As much as changing the switch hasn't really done anything the old one was pretty knackered so guess it would have given up sooner or later. I'm just hoping I don't have to go back near that wiring again - it was a right state. The starter button wires are spliced into wires coming off the plug into the ignition switch - the immobiliser has wires everywhere even though it doesn't seem to do anything - all just looks like a bit of a bodge job!

Offline hardmonkeys

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 08 March 2017, 17:42 »

Also now have a new problem of having the airbag warning light now showing up - presume this is my own fault as the battery was connected/disconnected multiple times, sometimes with the air bag connected and other times without. Is there a way to reset this to fix the problem (without just removing the bulb)?

find someone with Vagcom in your area, it'll only take a few minutes to reset..
'05 VW Golf Mk V GT TDI Laser Blue
'98 VW Golf Mk IV GTi Black
'97 VW Golf Mk III GTi
'58 VW Golf Mk V GT Sport TDI Steel Grey
'10 Audi A4 B8 SE Multitronic

'00 VW Golf Mk III.V Cabrio

MK3.5 Cabrio 2.0 8v Automatic to 2.0 16v Manual Conversion Project

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=272728.

www.dorsetautorestore.co.uk

Offline skunkmunkey3000

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 08 March 2017, 21:32 »
Thank you, do you know of anyone Suffolk way who could help?