Author Topic: Faded headlight units - how much for genuine replacements?  (Read 2658 times)

Offline Bandit127

• Here all the time
Back in a Golf after a year. A black 55 GT with the BKD engine and I like it. :-)

It has reflector headlights and they are faded. I can replace those with standard (but probably cheap) looking Depos from ebay for about £110. Does anyone know what VW would charge for proper ones? (The Parts dept. at Peter Cooper in Hedge End don't like picking the phone up).

I have looked at refurbishing the existing ones and I have decided I would prefer new replacements in one form or another. 

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
Re: Faded headlight units - how much for genuine replacements?
« Reply #1 on: 06 February 2017, 20:14 »
I also had the same problem on my mk5 but a painter in my work polished them up and they looked like new I took headlights out so he could get better access  :smiley:

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #2 on: 07 February 2017, 09:04 »
I did a customers mk5 headlights and he got a pair of projectors of ebay and to be honest ypud not tell that they wernt genuine. They bolted up fine ect.
I have had it the other way with other aftermarket headlight where you have a job to get them to fit

Offline radox

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2017, 10:41 »
I cleaned my Mk 5's headlights a couple of times and it only took about 30 minutes each time. I cleaned them without removing them from the car. Such a quick and cheap job which made a huge difference to the look of the car. See http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5/headlight_cleaning

Stuart
http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5

Offline Bandit127

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 08 February 2017, 16:51 »
The Parts dept at Peter Cooper picked the phone up today. The answer is: £179.78 each. Ouch.

As in my original post I don't want to muck about cleaning them up so I will go for new Depos at £110 (per pair) and keep the old units just in case.

Offline Bandit127

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 14 February 2017, 18:17 »
The Depos are in and adjusted. The beam pattern is better than I thought it would be given the price with sharp, straight cutoff and a well defined kick up on the left. They fit about was well as the originals (which didn't fit perfectly). The beam definition and brightness are a big improvement over the old units, which didn't look overly faded actually - probably just average for a 55 plate. 

The only obvious sign of the cheap price is the low beam bulb holder which locks up against self tapping screw heads instead of proper clips.

No need for sandpaper, polish and wax for me for a few years now. And it makes the car look so much cleaner.