Author Topic: Hella Quads  (Read 5115 times)

Offline Dubway

• GTI forum regular
  • Beat fresh
Hella Quads
« on: 18 January 2017, 21:48 »
Hey guys.
Not been around for a long while and really out of the loop. I've tried the usual searches and had no joy. But dug out my old hella quads. I haven't seen many around for sale. Are they still in demand? Are they considered rare at all? I guess there's not many genuine ones about in good nick these days. Not that these are in anyway good condition but was wondering if you'll think it might be worth holding on to for longer or if I should flog them? Always hoped I might get them back on a Mk3 in my possession, but other car desires are becoming priority.
Thanks

Offline gasketface

• I live here
Re: Hella Quads
« Reply #1 on: 28 January 2017, 17:50 »
It all depends on condition MASSIVELY.

Hella's are open to the elements.The plastic cups that the adjusters spin in are often shot to bits,shattered or cracked/seized.

Condition of outer covers is also important,lugs missing etc,same goes for the frames, the lugs break easily,can often be missing

There are 2 different types,crosshair style and plain.

Some were offered with the headlight beam height adjustment so have they got the motors ???.If someone were to buy them for a car with beam height adj they would need 2 extension pieces to be able to upgrade if yours do not have beam height adj.

Parts for these are hard to find,i no longer sell complete rebuilt sets as i cannot get those critical small parts so i break them up for parts

Offline Dubway

• GTI forum regular
  • Beat fresh
« Reply #2 on: 04 April 2017, 09:31 »
Very helpful, thank you.

Mine are far from mint, and some of the winders are seized. I think ill hold on to them for a while longer in the hope they might be worth something one day.  :shocked:

Offline LR5V

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 09 April 2017, 10:50 »
Some time ago I had a good look for parts to sort mine.
Started looking at other marks that Hella suplied OEM - it seems that Hella also did the headlights on the Mk1 MX5's.
From my research I saw MX5 light adjusters cups looked about right - please note I have not tried them - but they look spot on:

This is just the first link, they may be available cheaper:
http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/headlamp-conversion-replacement-adjuster-screw-mk1-p-2963.html

@gasketface yes- in the past I cobbled 2 or 3 sets into one reasonable set to run on mine, even went to the trouble of swaping lenses from non-crosshair to crosshair!  - its the front covers that seemed to dry up for me. I suppose as you can get new copies, these must still be in demand