Author Topic: Thoughts on the R  (Read 151989 times)

Offline GTI_Ant

• GTI forum regular
Re: Thoughts on the R
« Reply #400 on: 02 November 2016, 20:44 »
It looks immaculate :drool:.  What's your trick for not having anyone park next to it? :smiley:

I have a device that emits an invisible force field around it and a massive sign that says "I have a dashcam, so if you so much as breath on my car I will know about it, and I will hunt you down and ....".  Does the trick.

Joking aside, I park right at the top of the car park which is on a hill and most of my colleagues are too lazy to walk up to the top, preferring to park lower down in the infamous door ding zone.  I used to be one of the only cars in that row, but appear to have set a hot hatch trend, as I now have a Fiesta ST, a RenaultSport and the occasional Civic Type R that keep me company.  There is an unspoken agreement that we leave a space between us.  However things don't always go according to plan, and now and then some interloper will venture up the hill and break the golden rule.  And it spells disaster - one of these occasions earlier this year, resulted in me having to take a trip to the bodyshop to get the bumper partially resprayed after some idiot kindly scraped it all coming out of their space - they never owned up.  This and a few other damage incidents courtesy of others, led me to get front and rear dash cams.  And a few weeks ago the Fiesta ST had a big dent put in his door by someone - he was NOT happy.

That's really awful, especially considering it could be someone you work with.  Maybe try and get them to put cctv in the car park.  I always avoid parking next to 4x4s but you can't stop them moving in when you've parked up.  I saw a woman recently loading a child into the back seat of her massive tractor, using the car next to her as a backstop for the door.  It's criminal damage if unreported.
GTi Clubsport DCC winter pack rear camera
Previous:
7.5R 3dr DSG DPB Prets Dynaudio
MK7 GTI PP Tungsten Silver Manual Nav Dynaudio Winter Pack Park Assist

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Thoughts on
« Reply #401 on: 02 November 2016, 21:19 »
It looks immaculate :drool:.  What's your trick for not having anyone park next to it? :smiley:

I have a device that emits an invisible force field around it and a massive sign that says "I have a dashcam, so if you so much as breath on my car I will know about it, and I will hunt you down and ....".  Does the trick.

Joking aside, I park right at the top of the car park which is on a hill and most of my colleagues are too lazy to walk up to the top, preferring to park lower down in the infamous door ding zone.  I used to be one of the only cars in that row, but appear to have set a hot hatch trend, as I now have a Fiesta ST, a RenaultSport and the occasional Civic Type R that keep me company.  There is an unspoken agreement that we leave a space between us.  However things don't always go according to plan, and now and then some interloper will venture up the hill and break the golden rule.  And it spells disaster - one of these occasions earlier this year, resulted in me having to take a trip to the bodyshop to get the bumper partially resprayed after some idiot kindly scraped it all coming out of their space - they never owned up.  This and a few other damage incidents courtesy of others, led me to get front and rear dash cams.  And a few weeks ago the Fiesta ST had a big dent put in his door by someone - he was NOT happy.

That's really awful, especially considering it could be someone you work with.  Maybe try and get them to put cctv in the car park.  I always avoid parking next to 4x4s but you can't stop them moving in when you've parked up.  I saw a woman recently loading a child into the back seat of her massive tractor, using the car next to her as a backstop for the door.  It's criminal damage if unreported.

The car park has CCTV but unfortunately it doesn't cover the upper reaches of the site where I park, and even in the areas it does cover , when the dividing hedges are in full leaf they don't capture everything :-( I had them send out and email to all 300 plus staff, in which it stated that 'dent and run' is a criminal offence. 

I know what you mean about 4x4s, I park well away from them on the school run.  Much rather park further away and walk to avoid the scourge of them.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #402 on: 02 November 2016, 21:34 »
Good to see the 4wd being put to use on the grass pavers

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #403 on: 05 November 2016, 12:36 »
Quickie thread update.

Got these to go on soon, to replace the plastic dealer plates.  Hope they will give a nice clean look to the car, plus add a touch of character and distinction.

Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #404 on: 05 November 2016, 12:51 »
^ I bet they are a bugger to clean - which you'll probably love as a challenge!  :grin:
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #405 on: 05 November 2016, 12:55 »
^ I bet they are a bugger to clean - which you'll probably love as a challenge!  :grin:

No cleaning challenge is too great. Especially as they will never be allowed to get too dirty. Bilberry Wheel Cleaner and a Wheel Woolie is my friend here.   :smiley:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #406 on: 11 November 2016, 11:58 »
Fitted my new pressed plates this morning.  Really pleased with them, big improvement on the old plastic plate, they give a sharper, cleaner and uncluttered look and add a touch more character to the car. 

2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #407 on: 11 November 2016, 15:11 »
 :cool: :cool: :cool:

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #408 on: 11 November 2016, 15:49 »
Fitted my new pressed plates this morning.  Really pleased with them, big improvement on the old plastic plate, they give a sharper, cleaner and uncluttered look and add a touch more character to the car. 

They look good Rebecca, just not for me.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Damion

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #409 on: 11 November 2016, 17:07 »
They look good, just add the stickers in the middle, the Wolfsburg one is nice
2016 R!
2016 GTI PP Ordered and cancelled
2015 3DR GTD
2011 3DR GTD
2008 3DR 2.0TDI GT Sport