Author Topic: Kenwood/Garmin Nav Upgrade for Mk7 anyone?  (Read 29878 times)

Offline DougL

• Here all the time
« Last Edit: 14 March 2015, 23:10 by DougL »
Tornado Red GTI 3dr manual

Previous Golfs Mk1 GLS and GL, Mk2 GL and Driver, Mk3 GL, Mk4 GT TDI, Mk6 TDI (and a Mk2 Scirocco 20 years ago)

Offline Damo7

• Not said much yet
Re: Kenwood/Garmin Nav Upgrade for Mk7 anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 14 March 2015, 23:18 »
That's pretty cool

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 15 March 2015, 08:58 »
Will be interesting to see how much and what the quality is like of the screen graphics. Screen is still too small for me though.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline TwoSheds

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 15 March 2015, 09:11 »
Its showing at £699 RRP plus £150 fitting price.. on the 'Advanced in-car technologies' website which did the Youtube video linked above.

« Last Edit: 15 March 2015, 17:08 by TwoSheds »

Offline pjr

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 15 March 2015, 09:45 »
I saw a poster advertising this yesterday in my VW dealer while my car was being serviced - I think the price quoted was £599, but I didn't read it closely enough to see whether fitting was included.
Tornado Red Golf GTI 5 Door (220PS) - Discover Nav, Winter Pack, Mudflaps & Service Plan (Built BW11 & collected 5th April 2014)

Spritmonitor Fuel Economy :

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5 on: 15 March 2015, 10:18 »
Here it is in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Co7I5NPDqU

The graphics at first look a little retro, but the more I watched that video, the more I thought the things it was showing me were good and better than the Nav Pro in many respects. Nav is not really about photo realistic video game technology and just something that very clearly shows me where to drive and I think this is really nice.

Would have been nicer to have had a bigger screen though, but not really. Wasn't too clear if the unit had an external GPS aerial, although I guess it must have somehow?

With an installed price around the same as standard VW Nav, I guess the only real purpose is for those who didn't order it to start with.

I actually find VW's attitude towards not allowing (through software coding) retro fit of easily retro fit items somewhat galling. Its my car at the end of the day, not theirs.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline DougL

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 15 March 2015, 10:36 »
Fred, that video was uploaded in January and is not the Kenwood/Garmin version... that should be much better. You can see standard Garmin-style Navigation on the box if you look closely at the original video.

The modules also look very different from the Garmin ones

http://www.advanced-incar.co.uk/volkswagen-retrofits/vw-golf-mk7-navigation-retrofit-upgrade#
« Last Edit: 15 March 2015, 11:29 by DougL »
Tornado Red GTI 3dr manual

Previous Golfs Mk1 GLS and GL, Mk2 GL and Driver, Mk3 GL, Mk4 GT TDI, Mk6 TDI (and a Mk2 Scirocco 20 years ago)

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #7 on: 15 March 2015, 13:46 »
It does look a good setup, a couple of things I'd need answering first would be...

Can you listen to the stereo (radio, cd or media input) and have the satnav running as well?
Is it compatible with the standard rear view camera/dynaudio/etc?

Also, given as it's the same price as the standard Nav setup, it has limited it's market somewhat to people who made a mistake not speccing it as OEM (like me)
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline Beddie

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 15 March 2015, 16:58 »
I had a play with the new Kenwood/Garmin mk7 retrofit whilst having my car serviced yesterday, very neat kit and even comes with a new OE button for the head unit to replace the standard 'media' button with one marked 'media/nav'  :smiley:

£599 fitted at any VW dealer, takes 40 mins apparently...

http://www.windrush.co.uk/parts/offers.htm
Carbon Grey ED35

Offline TwoSheds

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 15 March 2015, 17:12 »
At that price a good bargaining tool if you're buying a secondhand Mk7 with the basic Composition Media from a dealer