Author Topic: Help I've payed 5900 pounds for a terrible respray!  (Read 10430 times)

Offline mk2golf87

• Just got here
Help I've payed 5900 pounds for a terrible respray!
« on: 14 January 2015, 22:29 »
Hi all,

Thought this would be an appropriate place for my post. This should be a post showing off my new paint job that I have spent enough money on to be of a very high standard but unfortunately not.

So my question is, has anyone else experienced a horror story? What route did you go down to get it fixed?

The painter is stating there is nothing wrong with the car and the panels are not different shades.

Faults are:

Panels are different shades
Micro blistering on the roof
Repairs showing through the paintwork
Dirt/Silicone in the paint on all areas of the car
Paint put on far took thick with runs, ripples, orange peel and thick edges
Door and bonnet put on wet causing peeling paint
Masking tape ball painted over in engine bay
Inlet manifold bolts not even tightened

Any comments would be massively helpful, I need to get this sorted, this is my pride and joy!

Offline madmanmart

• I live here
Re: Help I've payed 5900 pounds for a terrible respray!
« Reply #1 on: 15 January 2015, 08:17 »
Please don't tell me you've actually paid the £5900??

Mk3 Golf 3dr GTI 16v
Mk3 Golf Cabriolet TD
20vt Corrado track car project

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
« Reply #2 on: 15 January 2015, 15:52 »
Hopefully 5900 is a typo or you've been done mate, regardless of the quality. It's quite obvious, given your description and even by the images, that whoever done that does not know how to paint a car.

97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline mk2golf87

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 15 January 2015, 19:01 »
Unfortunately not a typo :( This was supposed to be a very high standard paint job. Very annoyingly his own car is absolutely mint. Total false advertisement, he obviously doesn't care at all about customers cars. Anyone had any experience of a job gone wrong? Were trading standards helpful?

Offline Lewy

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 15 January 2015, 20:46 »
Who did it?

Offline MarcIV

• GTI forum regular
  • Mk4 GTI
« Reply #5 on: 15 January 2015, 22:18 »
Can I just say that if I was you, I would take your car to another spray shop with your receipt (fingers crossed you have one of these) take it to there guys let them judge if paints different colour ETC, going off the pictures alone you can see, get them to write out a quick letter stating all faults, genuinaly the poor condition or what ever and take it back to where you had the work done and he should sort it out for you.
Hope this helps
Flash Red Mk4 golf 1.8t GTI :)

Offline dragonfly

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 17 January 2015, 16:11 »
Did you look over the car before paying almost £6k for the paint job?

Offline mk2golf87

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 19 January 2015, 22:07 »
Can I just say that if I was you, I would take your car to another spray shop with your receipt (fingers crossed you have one of these) take it to there guys let them judge if paints different colour ETC, going off the pictures alone you can see, get them to write out a quick letter stating all faults, genuinaly the poor condition or what ever and take it back to where you had the work done and he should sort it out for you.
Hope this helps

Well, after sending pictures he denied there was a colour difference in the panels! I sent several emails to no avail but finally after getting some opinions online that he has seen I have finally had a reply! I have also got a report done from another body shop who have listed all faults (and trust me, there is a list). Not quite so sure that his solution and my solution are going to be the same thing though as he is already requesting we use a different bodyshop to look over the car, meaning he obviously doesn't agree with the amount that is wrong with the car. Anybody had this before? What are the chances of him choosing a bodyshop that is going to be in his favour? The place I chose to get it done was a place I also got a quote for before having the work done and is (/should have been) same quality.

Offline madmanmart

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 19 January 2015, 22:51 »
So when you handed the money over did you even look at the car?

I think your going to hard pressed to get any cash back.

Mk3 Golf 3dr GTI 16v
Mk3 Golf Cabriolet TD
20vt Corrado track car project

Offline Waspy

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 20 January 2015, 06:57 »
Out of interest, is the whole car supposed to look like the door, or is the door supposed to look like the whole car?
It's a mk2. Fill it, drive it, enjoy it.  :smiley: