Author Topic: EA288 2.0 TDI 184PS Development thread..  (Read 95067 times)

Offline corgi

• I live here
Re: EA288 2.0 TDI 184PS Development thread..
« Reply #20 on: 12 November 2013, 16:57 »
Aye, 20Kg for GTD over GTI (with same number of doors), 5 doors is 30Kg - they don't put bigger brakes on the 5 door models or even 5 + DSG (which is even heavier - 17Kg)

True... but they put bigger brakes on the PP equipped GTI...  :huh:

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 12 November 2013, 18:02 »
Aye, 20Kg for GTD over GTI (with same number of doors), 5 doors is 30Kg - they don't put bigger brakes on the 5 door models or even 5 + DSG (which is even heavier - 17Kg)

I think that's more of a value for money thing on the PP pack TBH. If you're in a situation where you'd really appreciate those bigger brakes, you'd be flinging it around a track and those brakes would fade quite quickly. 2 goes around the Nerbergring anywhere close to the limits could shag those discs.

The point I was trying to make was that a 5 door DSG GTI is heavier (27kg) than a 3 door manual GTD there is quite a wide weight margin possible. I think most GTDers with extra kick would be driving completely differently to many situations a GTIer would drive when having some fun, as the GTD just doesn't have masses of low end traction. The GTD doesn't need those bigger brakes on the road, neither does a PP. You could give a GTD 250PS and you wouldn't appreciably improve the 0-62 time because you'd be spinning on the spot in 1st and 2nd from a standiing start.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 12 November 2013, 22:03 »
In post #2, you answered the bit about a plug in module, Andrew, but not the bit about visibility re servicing.

Is the module visible to dealers please ?

Also, is there any "smoke" under load ?

The plug in module would have to be unplugged before you took it to the dealers. It's prior fitment is presumed to be untraceable because the signals sent by the ECU to the common rail and the boost sensor are intercepted and modified by the box and then sent on their rightful way. These modified signals are not fed back to the ECU for it to know that the signals were altered, nor do the receiving sensors have any memory of signals they have received.

That is the way I think everything happens with a 2 channel tuning box, maybe Andrew can confirm?

I'm also presuming that the DPF would capture any "smoke" (particulates) under load and if there is masses more particulate matter produced then you'd have more regens.

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 12 November 2013, 22:13 »

I think that's more of a value for money thing on the PP pack TBH. If you're in a situation where you'd really appreciate those bigger brakes, you'd be flinging it around a track and those brakes would fade quite quickly. 2 goes around the Nerbergring anywhere close to the limits could shag those discs.

The point I was trying to make was that a 5 door DSG GTI is heavier (27kg) than a 3 door manual GTD there is quite a wide weight margin possible. I think most GTDers with extra kick would be driving completely differently to many situations a GTIer would drive when having some fun, as the GTD just doesn't have masses of low end traction. The GTD doesn't need those bigger brakes on the road, neither does a PP. You could give a GTD 250PS and you wouldn't appreciably improve the 0-62 time because you'd be spinning on the spot in 1st and 2nd from a standiing start.

You may, of course, be right; however, the question was asked about better brakes... I merely suggested an option that would work if the questioner decided a brake upgrade was an option they wanted to follow...

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 13 November 2013, 18:25 »
Some impressive information in here. Just wish Christmas wasn't around the corner :(

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 13 November 2013, 21:28 »
In 2 minds about box timing. I could get one now and get upfront true price insurance for the mod with my imminent insurance renewal. Or could wait, get a few miles on the clock and see how the car improves, then run the risk of my chosen insurer being very mod unfriendly.

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 13 November 2013, 21:32 »
In 2 minds about box timing. I could get one now and get upfront true price insurance for the mod with my imminent insurance renewal. Or could wait, get a few miles on the clock and see how the car improves, then run the risk of my chosen insurer being very mod unfriendly.

Could you not find out a prospective quote with the box attached?

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 13 November 2013, 21:42 »

It's £80 more on my best quote to have the box.

I'm too tight to pay the £80 on the off-chance that I might get a box, just in case I don't.  :grin:

If my car was meeting performance expectations (i.e a smidge better than my Scirocco rather than a smidge worse) and decent mpg (not that I expect true mpg gains with a box) then I wouldn't have considered a box.

Offline Andrew@DTUK

• Forum Supporter
  • Here all the time
« Reply #28 on: 14 November 2013, 13:35 »

Kyle,

give us a call as we have a scheme to help where insurance is concerned
Are you looking to tune your Golf GTI or GTD? Were currently offering members £80 off the full RRP on all DTUK Petrol and Diesel Tuning Systems.

PM me for the discount code

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 14 November 2013, 18:14 »

Kyle,

give us a call as we have a scheme to help where insurance is concerned

Its monkey that's worried about insurance mate :)