Author Topic: Welly cooler behind standard bumper  (Read 15306 times)

Offline Jin_C

• GTI forum regular
Welly cooler behind standard bumper
« on: 06 June 2013, 11:06 »
Hi all,

Has anyone fitted a 'welly cooler' behind a standard bumper with anni valance? Of all the build threads I have seen people have fitted them behind a R32 bumper. If so could you provide pics please. I am hoping to fit one week after next.

I was thinking of getting the 2.5" inlet and outlet version since it wouldn't require the reducers to fit to the pipe work and the core is also thinner so there is a better chance of it fitting without having to remove the side grilles.

This is the 'welly cooler' I am referring to http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FMIC-FFRONT-MOUNT-TURBO-INTERCOOLER-TYPE-B-600x300x76MM-/200484166200?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eadc99a38

This is the slightly smaller 2.5" version http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-KIT-DRAG-RACE-FRONT-MOUNT-TURBO-INTERCOOLER-/400159814481?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d2b623351

Thanks
1.8T AGU, K03s, 007p, pipercross panel filter, G60 + VR6 clutch and flywheel, silicone TIP, decat + boost hoses, JOM coilovers

Offline asboGTI

• I live here
Re: Welly cooler behind standard bumper
« Reply #1 on: 07 June 2013, 07:17 »
Tbh with you depending what your aiming for either will be fine I am putting a hybrid which can flow 300 on mine and will be using the welly cooler r32 bumper combo just avoid heat soak tje small you go Yeh quicker the heat soak so what power you after?
vw golf mk4 ARZ 1.8T pipercross panel filter, xenon headlights, JOMS coilovers, forge 007p with green spring, audi tt anti roll bar, 3inch ebay trubo back exhaust, COOKIES MONSTER STICKER(adds bhp I swear)

Offline Granta Gti

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 07 June 2013, 07:41 »
I will let you know this weekend ! I am fitting the smaller IC into a standard bumper and standard valance. 2,5 pipe work

Offline asboGTI

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 07 June 2013, 09:06 »
I will let you know this weekend ! I am fitting the smaller IC into a standard bumper and standard valance. 2,5 pipe work

One I still gotta meet you at some point two you gotta let me know cause I am between yours and Rio on the front mount side of things
vw golf mk4 ARZ 1.8T pipercross panel filter, xenon headlights, JOMS coilovers, forge 007p with green spring, audi tt anti roll bar, 3inch ebay trubo back exhaust, COOKIES MONSTER STICKER(adds bhp I swear)

Offline rio_gti

• I live here
  • "i'm not spending any money on it" Got a Hybrid!
« Reply #4 on: 07 June 2013, 10:20 »

One I still gotta meet you at some point two you gotta let me know cause I am between yours and Rio on the front mount side of things

Go for the smaller cooler = hotter air to intake = give mine a chance against yours  :grin:

2000 GTI 1.8t ARZ, S2000 filter, DSG intake, Forge 007 dv, Catch can, R-tech custom remap, 3" Supersize Silicone TIP, Powerflex dog bone, 'The Beast' FMIC, Ultimate delete, LCR fuel pump, 3" Turbo back, K03 hybrid, Ported Manifold, S3 injectors, 80mm maf = 280bhp 270lbft :evil:

Offline Toby

• I live here
  • Car - less
« Reply #5 on: 07 June 2013, 10:39 »
You will need to cut quite alot out to make it fit behind a standerd bumper ,

I still had to cut a little out my r32 to get the pipes to fit!

Go big or go home  :lipsrsealed:

A real 304bhp 286lbft in a mk4 golf!

Currently down under

Offline Jin_C

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 07 June 2013, 11:20 »
Haha brilliant replies, thanks guys.

My current situation is currently go big go broke!

I currently have a k03s running 208bhp peak due to weak actuator (Which has now been replaced with forge one) and SMIC.

I am thinking I would like to get the most out of current setup without going to 3" MAF and injectors. However I do keep on reading through the hybrid thread so that is a possibility for the future. But I will definitely not be going over 300 since I don't want to be spending money on rods.

Rio, my next mod after FMIC will be water/meth injection so that should help me keep up with you.

Granta, I would be very grateful if you take pics. Also where abouts are you, I could come and help to give me an idea about the job at hand.

So my understanding is that it is not impossible however lots of cutting is required. Is that correct? Would the bumper still be securely fitted i.e. it wont lose major structural integrity.
1.8T AGU, K03s, 007p, pipercross panel filter, G60 + VR6 clutch and flywheel, silicone TIP, decat + boost hoses, JOM coilovers

Offline asboGTI

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 07 June 2013, 11:25 »

Go for the smaller cooler = hotter air to intake = give mine a chance against yours  :grin:

Rio you forget I am a little gone in the head and have also been looking at meth/nos more meth tbh tho so it's won't matter

Offline rio_gti

• I live here
  • "i'm not spending any money on it" Got a Hybrid!
« Reply #8 on: 07 June 2013, 13:04 »
jin_c - dont forget im goin hybrid!!! but that comment wasnt aimed at you  :wink:

asbo - just cos you got a money tree in your garden or i would be going all einstein like you  :tongue:

grant - if i get some time im gonna pop over and see you tomoz  :kiss:

2000 GTI 1.8t ARZ, S2000 filter, DSG intake, Forge 007 dv, Catch can, R-tech custom remap, 3" Supersize Silicone TIP, Powerflex dog bone, 'The Beast' FMIC, Ultimate delete, LCR fuel pump, 3" Turbo back, K03 hybrid, Ported Manifold, S3 injectors, 80mm maf = 280bhp 270lbft :evil:

Offline asboGTI

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 07 June 2013, 13:06 »
jin_c - dont forget im goin hybrid!!! but that comment wasnt aimed at you  :wink:

asbo - just cos you got a money tree in your garden or i would be going all einstein like you  :tongue:

grant - if i get some time im gonna pop over and see you tomoz  :kiss:

i never said anything about a money tree or spending silly amounts just yet and its hardly einstein and the time its taking to build it will end up ebing frankienstien