Author Topic: (another) Question about rust :)  (Read 2891 times)

Offline sesterfield

• Here all the time
(another) Question about rust :)
« on: 04 July 2004, 18:55 »
Since I've decided to go small-bumper now, I'm looking to have this (what I assume to be) rust under the paintwork sorted.  There's quite a lot of it running from side-to-side on what I think is called the splash panel? I've put a picture in the post to try and explain.

It's a lot larger than the little touch-ups which I've been doing and so would like some advice with how to deal with it :)

Thanks in advance

Offline AdamB

• I live here
  • The Perfect Storm
Re:(another) Question about rust :)
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2004, 22:07 »
I dont think that is rust, but the thick prootective coating used under the paint to prevent the rust in such a vulnerable area
I don't own this anymore - I just can't be arsed to change the picture

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #2 on: 05 July 2004, 09:43 »
^yep .. looks like painted waxoyl to me.. you'll have fun getting that off  ;D

Offline sesterfield

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 05 July 2004, 21:34 »
Is it difficult to get off then?  And if I do would it weaken the resistance to rust?  If it's more bother than it's worth I think I'll just go back to getting big bumpers since that'd cover it up :)

Offline AdamB

• I live here
  • The Perfect Storm
« Reply #4 on: 05 July 2004, 21:38 »
waxoyl is incredibly difficult to get off, you just have to keep scraping it off. Personally I would leave it on there, its designed to stop the stones form penetrating through to the metal, and preventing the onset of rust.
It should only be below the bumper line, and you will find that most small bumper golf still have it.
I don't own this anymore - I just can't be arsed to change the picture

Offline sesterfield

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 07 July 2004, 14:55 »
Thanks for the help guys :) Big bumpers it is  ;)

Offline 8valvesgood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 21 July 2004, 00:57 »
depends on the waxoyl i have it on the inner wings and it  never dries solid you can remove it with petrol, make a mess though as youll have to use a rag to wipe it off, it wont be a five minute job. if its the underseal thats right thick stuff. all golfs after the late 70's were better rust treated and one area was having areas prone to stone chips covered. i have yet to see a golf with out that finish.

if your touching it up with paint, get a sharp knife and chip a small section off have a look underneath youll know if its rust.
You can't polish a turd