Author Topic: Need HELP Golf Gti MK3 5th Gear problem  (Read 2347 times)

Offline PSDesign

• Not said much yet
Need HELP Golf Gti MK3 5th Gear problem
« on: 10 March 2010, 17:34 »
Hi Guys i have a GOLF gti MK3 (16v 2.0 1995) that i purchsed a few days ago, it has a problem going into fifth gear but does on occation it seems like the gear stick is not alligned properly as it crunks sometime when put in reverse, my main issue is i cant put it into 5th, i have been told it is something to do with the gear selector under the car...

Can any one advise me on this please or if it is a job that i can do...

Any help would be GREAT...

Thanks
Ryan

Offline Alec

• I live here
Re: Need HELP Golf Gti MK3 5th Gear problem
« Reply #1 on: 10 March 2010, 17:39 »
Not sure if the mk3's use the same bits but someone is having 5th gear problems on a mk2

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=147053.0

Offline skcollob_ho

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 11 March 2010, 14:10 »
I had pretty much exactly the same problem for a long time, and mine was a simple fix.

Pop your bonnet and have a look between your battery and engine block. On the top of the gear box is what looks like the top of a walking stick, but in metal. Not sure what its called, but beneath the thick end, about 4 inches below it, is a solitary nut. check if its tightened. If its loose, then that will be your problem. Make sure its in the middle of the gap too.

I hope thats whats wrong, as all you need is a spanner!
A totalitarian regime, crushes all autonomy in it's drive to seize the human soul.

Offline PSDesign

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 11 March 2010, 21:41 »
Thanks for your help guys!

I will have a look under the bonnet in the morning, hopefully that is the problem!
If not i will be looking at the linkage or possibly a new gear box....