Author Topic: GTD Fuel Tank Capacity?  (Read 42781 times)

Offline NickRH

• Just got here
GTD Fuel Tank Capacity?
« on: 27 November 2013, 07:37 »
Hi All,
I have been a passive observer of this forum for years having been an early adopter of the Mk 6 GTD and have just taken delivery of my Mk 7 GTD last week.

The car is everything I hoped for and I have loved driving every one of the 700 odd miles so far. :grin:

Just a quick question though. What is the fuel tank capacity supposed to be? The manual says 50l, the VW website says 50l and everywhere else I read does too. However, I have had to fill it up from pretty much empty twice now, and am only getting a shade over 40l in it! This doesn't seem right and I have tried filling it further once the actual pump clicks off, but only manage a tiny bit more.

Any clarification for those who already have their GTDs would be gratefully recieved. Does it only have a 40l tank or is something amiss here??
Golf Mk 7 GTD, 5 Door, Manual, Black, Discover Pro, Dynaudio, Winter Pack, Keyless & Park Assist. Awesome!
Ordered 7th July, delivered 22nd November.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: GTD Fuel Tank Capacity?
« Reply #1 on: 27 November 2013, 07:44 »
50l tank, mine allows me to get 46l in when if says 0 mile range left, so it must have about 4l reserve. I only fill to the first click.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Sootchucker

« Reply #2 on: 27 November 2013, 08:17 »
Most I've ever been able to get in is about 43 litres (don't run the clock down to 0 miles). Whilst it obviously doesn't give you the range of the previous generation cars (MK6, Scirocco etc.), at least it cost much less to fill up each time (even if you do have to fill more often)  :grin:

Offline NickRH

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 27 November 2013, 08:38 »
Strange that is is a 50l tank but we can only get 43 or so litres in it!
Golf Mk 7 GTD, 5 Door, Manual, Black, Discover Pro, Dynaudio, Winter Pack, Keyless & Park Assist. Awesome!

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 27 November 2013, 09:32 »

I’m sure you could get 50l in if you ran it dry, but VW want to give you the option of not coming to a spluttering stop when you hit 0 miles on the MFD. Think if it as a 6 or 7l reserve.

The 50l tank was a reduction from 55l on previous gen because we were supposed to be getting so many more mpg based on the cycle tests.

My Scirocco had 55l (12.0 Gallons) tank and was supposed to be 53.7mpg (combined), giving a range of 644 miles. Reality was I got about 530 miles from a tank to the reserve (10.5 Gallons used/50.5mpg).

GTD has a 50l tank (10.9 Gallons) and is supposed to be 67.3mpg (combined), giving a range of 733 miles. Reality is that I get about 430 miles from a tank to the reserve (9.8 Gallons used/43.9mpg).

I would take that reduction in tank size as faith that VW think we should be getting 60mpg from our GTDs so as not to reduce the range on a full tank. Reality is that like for like, the fuel used to take me 530 miles on my Scirocco, would only take me 461 miles (10.5 gallons @ 43.9mpg) driving the same way. That’s progress for you.

Offline noobmonkey

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 27 November 2013, 10:16 »
Rather noobish assumption here, but 5l less would also be a weight reduction not accounted for? (What i mean is, the new GTD is already lighter, so this should make it even less heavy on a full load?)
VW Golf MK7 GTD Manual 5DR Pure White

Offline NickRH

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 27 November 2013, 10:35 »
I will fill it up next time when it is as empty as I dare to try and get another litre or two in it.

My economy is improving but still lower then I had expected / hoped / been led to believe. It is showing 40.1mpg since new, but 45.2mpg since last fill.

Perhaps these really do improve as the engine runs in, but still a long way off what we were "sold"!
I won't really be happy until it is consistently in the 50s.

I do a lot of mileage (2500 - 3000 miles per month) so i will report back on how this progresses. I will also do some long runs on eco to see how that affects things.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 27 November 2013, 10:38 »
Rather noobish assumption here, but 5l less would also be a weight reduction not accounted for? (What i mean is, the new GTD is already lighter, so this should make it even less heavy on a full load?)

They probably did take it into account on weight reductions as 5l of fuel weighs about 4kg, the thinner and stiffer bodywork shaved 26kg. That was pretty much it for the higher output Holds. The sub 120ps models lost a lot of weight when losing the multilink rear suspension that by/gfs/gti and some se models retained. Weight of car in use for stats is based on fuel tank being 90% full.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 28 November 2013, 23:32 »
Can you fill the expansion tank on it?
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline watson

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 29 November 2013, 09:29 »

I’m sure you could get 50l in if you ran it dry, but VW want to give you the option of not coming to a spluttering stop when you hit 0 miles on the MFD. Think if it as a 6 or 7l reserve.

The 50l tank was a reduction from 55l on previous gen because we were supposed to be getting so many more mpg based on the cycle tests.

My Scirocco had 55l (12.0 Gallons) tank and was supposed to be 53.7mpg (combined), giving a range of 644 miles. Reality was I got about 530 miles from a tank to the reserve (10.5 Gallons used/50.5mpg).

GTD has a 50l tank (10.9 Gallons) and is supposed to be 67.3mpg (combined), giving a range of 733 miles. Reality is that I get about 430 miles from a tank to the reserve (9.8 Gallons used/43.9mpg)

I would take that reduction in tank size as faith that VW think we should be getting 60mpg from our GTDs so as not to reduce the range on a full tank. Reality is that like for like, the fuel used to take me 530 miles on my Scirocco, would only take me 461 miles (10.5 gallons @ 43.9mpg) driving the same way. That’s progress for you.o.

I read in the early launch material, issued at the dealer sessions in Spain, that the fuel tank capacity had been reduced to help in production something to do with the Torsion beam suspension on the ' lesser'
models.