Author Topic: Tuning boxes now detectable  (Read 16336 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Tuning boxes now detectable
« Reply #20 on: 20 July 2017, 16:30 »
In the 7.5 R now. They definitely need the box on. I couldn't own one without it. The pedal feel is dreadful. Worse than my GTI was.
That's interesting as you can see I have same as you, dare not mention as this is GTI forum but agree after 1600 miles use it is soft,and never had box and will fit one. Am more than happy with the power delivery as is, so box will be a bonus.

Yes, this is a GTI forum, but no-one that I've seen has suggested you shouldn't talk about your R so why go on about it?

As for pedal boxes, are they a detectable no-no or is it only tuning boxes? I hope not but if so it's far too late now for me.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 20 July 2017, 17:03 »
Being serious though, a Stage 1 map or box isn't really going to cause major component compromise... I agree after that it could but Stage 1 is pretty mild.

I think a lot of this comes down to how it is driven and the mechanical symphony of the owner.

Manuals cars clutches suffer people ride the torque curve rather than use the power and higher revs, I always used to drop a cog when overtaking

There was a bug thing about the the turbos on initial Rs failing etc, which was funny as Revo and myself did 20k on these fragile turbos, that said we did let them warm up and could down

I have reached that point in car ownership that i like balance and for me shoving 300+ bhp through the front wheels is not a balanced car on the twisties unless its got a LSD

Chasis and brakes is where I would put my money

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #22 on: 20 July 2017, 22:50 »
Being serious though, a Stage 1 map or box isn't really going to cause major component compromise... I agree after that it could but Stage 1 is pretty mild.

I think a lot of this comes down to how it is driven and the mechanical symphony of the owner.

Manuals cars clutches suffer people ride the torque curve rather than use the power and higher revs, I always used to drop a cog when overtaking

There was a bug thing about the the turbos on initial Rs failing etc, which was funny as Revo and myself did 20k on these fragile turbos, that said we did let them warm up and could down

I have reached that point in car ownership that i like balance and for me shoving 300+ bhp through the front wheels is not a balanced car on the twisties unless its got a LSD

Chasis and brakes is where I would put my money

Am hoping the R turbo holds out for donkeys years with 4wd but agree brakes, The most important factor, and I think could be better in the R, probably the performance pack does the job at a price.

« Last Edit: 21 July 2017, 07:54 by CHB100 »
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

mattwilko92

« Reply #23 on: 23 July 2017, 17:33 »
Put yourself in their shoes. You offer someone a warranty on a product, they go and modify said product to make it perform beyond it’s factory design, they then come crying that its broken and want you to pay for it? My personal opinion is as highly rated and good some of the boxes out there are, i wont be fitting a £300 box to my £26k car. By all means after warranty do as you please.

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #24 on: 27 July 2017, 21:54 »
@OP: Do you know when that directive came out?

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 16 August 2019, 23:01 »
I know this is a very old thread, but can anyone explain in simple terms how a tuning boxing is detectable if it’s been removed? And can insurance companies detect this stuff the same as dealers?
Thanks!
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 17 August 2019, 09:27 »

There was a bug thing about the the turbos on initial Rs failing etc, which was funny as Revo and myself did 20k on these fragile turbos, that said we did let them warm up and could down.

The manual R's clutch is just not up to the job. I never modified mine and it slipped on a few occasions in cold weather.

I'm pretty mechanically sympathetic with my cars, but it happened all the same.

Apart from not thrashing a cold engine (which the car won't let you do now since the arrival of the MK7 because output is restricted until the oil temp is registering at 50C), how much mechanical sympathy should you be giving yo a hot hatch? These cars are so powerful that they can only be driven hard for 10 seconds at a time before you're speeding beyond what a Bobby would turn a blind eye to.

That clutch has zero over-engineering  in it when unmodified car's clutches are failing (mine wasn't the only one) and it's almost a cert that a modified Golf's manual clutch will go at stage 1 within 10k miles.

If you are going to up the power even to only stage 1 on a GTI or R, get a clutch upgrade before you up the power, or you'll be needing a new flywheel as well as a new clutch.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 17 August 2019, 23:08 »
I know this is a very old thread, but can anyone explain in simple terms how a tuning boxing is detectable if it’s been removed? And can insurance companies detect this stuff the same as dealers?
Thanks!

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=285436.0
Have a read of that.

An insurance company could, if they suspected something, get the ECU investigated the same as VW could to see if there are any anomalies in requested vs actual values where sensors have been tricked.

If a tuning box hasn’t been declared your biggest worry would be being unable to access under the bonnet to remove it before the car got towed away, even a minor shunt can result in a bonnet not being able to be opened in situ.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Crockers

• Not said much yet
« Reply #28 on: 19 August 2019, 14:05 »
Pity VW don't offer the ABT upgrade available in the Seat Cupra

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 19 August 2019, 17:05 »
Thanks!

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=285436.0
Have a read of that.

An insurance company could, if they suspected something, get the ECU investigated the same as VW could to see if there are any anomalies in requested vs actual values where sensors have been tricked.

If a tuning box hasn’t been declared your biggest worry would be being unable to access under the bonnet to remove it before the car got towed away, even a minor shunt can result in a bonnet not being able to be opened in situ.

Thanks! I’ll follow that thread. It’s quite an interesting issue.
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS