Author Topic: Chipex Anyone?  (Read 7283 times)

Offline Tally Wacker

• Not said much yet
Chipex Anyone?
« on: 29 May 2019, 21:10 »
Hi
Anyone have any experience of using Chipex paint system?
I've got a Oryx White GTI with a few stone chips.
VW dont do a touch up kit so heard Chipex is my best bet but at £40 for the kit I'm wondering what the results of using it are like.
Cheers

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
Re: Chipex Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2019, 01:40 »
I have the tornado red chipex kit for my GTI.  I have mixed feelings.  Does it work?  Yes.  Does it work just like the demonstration video on the black BMW? Hell no.  Basically the kit produces a shallow coating of paint in a stone chip but doesn't fill it.  So you're still left with a crater, clearly visible from a metre or two.  On the other hand, the system is very easy to use.  As long as you understand what you're getting (and it's not what the demo video implies) I think it works well.  I also have the conventional VW touch-up kit from my mk5 TR GTI and use this for larger chips and the chipex for very small, shallow ones.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2019, 01:42 by Splashalot »
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Tally Wacker

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2019, 07:32 »
Cheers m8, appreciate your help.
I think I'm a bit limited on choice really, it's either a £17 rattle can from VW or the Chipex kit @£40.
I'm guessing I'll get better results with the Chipex kit on stone chips than I will with the rattle can & a cocktail stick?

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2019, 01:47 »
For me the Chipex gives a neater result, as I'm a bit clumsy and not the most proficient working with paint and a small brush or pin.  Thinking about it some more, you could probably achieve a deeper chip coverage with Chipex by using multiple coats, but you would probably need to wait a few hours between coats for the paint to dry sufficiently. 

Edit:  Alternatively, you could probably get a paint shop or repairer to make up a small tin/bottle of touch up paint, as long as you have the paint code.  If you have steady hands (I don't - I have a tremor) using a small craft brush would probably give the best result.
« Last Edit: 31 May 2019, 01:50 by Splashalot »
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline watchdog

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 01 June 2019, 15:13 »
Cheers m8, appreciate your help.
I think I'm a bit limited on choice really, it's either a £17 rattle can from VW or the Chipex kit @£40.
I'm guessing I'll get better results with the Chipex kit on stone chips than I will with the rattle can & a cocktail stick?

I find it best to be patient with Chipex building up the application over a few days using a cocktail stick.