Author Topic: Wheel sealing  (Read 2949 times)

Offline woodsy1971

• Just got here
Wheel sealing
« on: 14 September 2018, 02:24 »
Due to get my New GTi soon and want to seal the wheels with a ceramic coating. What would you recommend. Was looking at Gyeon Q2 rim coating, Gtechniq C5 wheel armor or Auto Finesse Ceramics Wheel Protection Kit .I sealed my GTD'S wheels last time with poor boys wheel sealant and wondered if you could seal the wheels with the poor boys, then ceramic coat them or just use the ceramic coat on it's own?

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
Re: Wheel sealing
« Reply #1 on: 14 September 2018, 08:02 »
The Poorboys sealant (the pink stuff in a tub) is more of a wax, not a sealant and certainly not a ceramic.

As such, you need to reapply it every few months.  It's good, but more labour-intensive than Gtechniq C5 which, again, isn't a ceramic but a sealant, and will last about six months before the need for re-application.

I don't have any experience of using a ceramic sealant on wheels, but it's one part of a car which would certainly benefit from a long-lasting solution, especially if the wheels are an intricate design, and hard to keep clean.

Offline woodsy1971

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2018, 09:24 »
Thanks

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 17 September 2018, 14:21 »
Platinum Wheels from Carbon Collective  :smiley:

Have a look at the beading on my GTI wheels using just one coat of that... 2 coats is best.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYVM0KxjCdB/?taken-by=detailsofperfection
« Last Edit: 17 September 2018, 14:23 by Jim_mk7.5 »
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline woodsy1971

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2018, 17:47 »
That looks good Jim