Author Topic: jamie_pyrite - mk2 1.8 driver  (Read 3220 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
jamie_pyrite - mk2 1.8 driver
« on: 08 January 2008, 14:38 »
:)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline jamie_pyrite

• I live here
Re: jamie_pyrite - mk2 1.8 driver
« Reply #1 on: 09 January 2008, 19:02 »
Thanks JV! :)

Right, so I'm Jamie. 18 years old, from Durham and I'm currently at college doing a FnD in Computing and Networking. Lovely geeky stuff!

This is my golf It's a '92 (registered in feb.) mk2 1.8 driver with 46k on the clock. I picked it up in around September time this year just gone but wasn't able to drive it until the middle of November when my insurance ran out.

My first car was a mk3 1.4 Ibiza, slow but cheap insurance. Frizzell wouldn't swap me to the golf as I was under 21 so I just waited.

I first found this car on Ebay, just generally browsing around and having a look at the pretty golfs when this caught my eye. To my surprise, it was in Durham! From it's description it looked too good to be true so I gave the seller a ring. At this time, I wasn't even looking into buying a new car.. But this was an offer I couldn't refuse!

I went to have a look at the car and just fell in love with it. Took it for a drive and fell in love with it even more! A couple of days later after sorting some finances out I very nervously rang up to see if I could come and buy it, expecting someone else to have picked it up in the meantime. Luckily it hadn't been so I bought it! It cost me £1450.

Now this car really is immaculate. The interior is completely perfect. Not a scratch or a stain or anything. Never been smoked in and it seemed as though it's never been sat in! The paintwork is fantastic. Everything is completely spotless except one tiny rust spot down near one of the rear arches by the sill. Think I'll get this sorted in the spring. Everything is original and the engine is in tip-top shape!

At a meet the other month I talked to someone who is friends with the original owner. (The car has only had one owner - I just bought it from a garage that it was very briefly at for a short while) He said that it was never taken out in bad weather and was constantly garaged.. Which is always nice to know!

Anyway, enough about the history of the car.. With this being such a nice car, I've decided not to go over the top and keep it as original as possible.

All I currently have done is a full scorpion stainless exhaust system with the twin exit pipes to replace the hideous standard one, and replaced the paper filter with a k&n with a drilled airbox on the underside of the box so no holes are visible :)

My work planned is to have it lowered 35mm in the next couple of weeks when I get a nice weekend. Didn't want to go too mad with the lowering, just something nice so it doesn't have tractor-like supspension.
I did have a gti camshaft on the way but the lad has done a runner with my money through Ebay (which I'm currently recovering through paypal) so if you have one to sell me, I'll buy it!
Buying a weber carb in the next few weeks too.

I'm going to leave these two parts til I can find someone experienced with carbs to fit it for me. After this, I'll be getting it tuned up somewhere (not sure where yet though)

I'm meant to have a gti grill on the way but I've been waiting for that for 2 months :p It's starting to get rediculous now but the seller keeps in touch now and then :P I'm having second thoughts about whether I should put this on or not. I'll decide when it arrives I guess.

I'm keeping the original steelies that came with it on. They're actually from a scirocco GTII! Lovely wheels.. I had bought some BBS RAs refurb'd in black with a silver lip but they didn't really suit my tastes on the car so sold them on.

A lad at the North East Club Polo meet the other night did the rear wiper mod for me in the car park which was nice of him! So it looks alot neater now :)

Well here's a bunch of pictures then!

A couple of days after I got the car:

Here's a load of photos from a recent shoot I did near some random farm :) Spent the day cleaning it to take it out for some photos before the sun set.

And some more photos here: http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/jamie_pyrite/new%20golf%20pics/

Oh, and here's a photo from the Club Polo meet I went to:

Offline jamie_pyrite

• I live here
Re: jamie_pyrite - mk2 1.8 driver
« Reply #2 on: 10 February 2008, 19:44 »
Well, I've spent the weekend cleaning the car. This included claybar'ing and waxing, along with a good detailed clean.

And here's some pictures!