Author Topic: My MkII 1.8 8v  (Read 4247 times)

Offline mjr

• Just got here
My MkII 1.8 8v
« on: 30 July 2012, 20:40 »
So just picked up my first GTI!  :grin: :laugh:

It is an '88 5 door 8v in Blue. Its got 196k miles on the clock. Car runs good and has a full service history dating back 24 yrs, with all mots, including failures. The shell is not in the best condition and is suffering from a good amount of rust around the tailgate and the o/s rear arch. It has been lowered 25mm from standard and sits on bbs rims which are in alright condition bar one which has been kerbed quite badly.

Got insurance sorted out today and at £50/month am quite content with it, taxed it for 6 months too which stung a little at £121. Anyhow it is now road ready and will be my daily driver and summer project car. I don't have any grand plans really but would like to tidy up the shell to get rid of all the rust and make sure the motor is sound to run another handful of years.

An arty farty photo. :wink:

Random stuff about the car;

*It has a Scorpion exhaust fitted and a k&n air filter, the exhaust I am not sure about tbh as it is rather intrusively loud.

*Gear stick has a lot of vertical play in it and loves to fall into reverse rather than 1st or 2nd, so I believe that a change of the worn ball bushing thingee is in order. Had a scope round here and found a couple of 'how to' guides for that.

*Fan belt is slipping a little, so wonderfully squeelly at times.

*Rev counter, doesn't work....just spins all the way round and stays there however all the digital display reading are functioning...not sure how accurately though. bit of investigation needed there.

*Been listening to what my ears think is the rear wheel bearings whining away, although through the stupid noisy exhaust its hard to tell proper.

*Tyres are all in good condition with lots of tread but there are 3 different tyres.

*Oil pressure light been whirring into action a few times since I picked it up yesterday, mostly while accelerating uphill. Need to have a look at what be causing that.

*Fog lights are foggy inside.....as are indicators.

*Removed tailgate trim and number plate lights to get a better look at the rust and began to sand down, then it started raining so sealed up with a little tape at the moment...work to be continued in next few days.

errrrrr and a bunch of other stuff to but I reckon its time for some pics, sooo;

The not soo good bits of rust...

The interior which for the most part is real tidy for its age...
(Note the driver door seal in the foreground which has deteriorated and no doubt will leak in due course.)

Been out for a bit of a b-road blast this evening and love the feel of the car. Enjoy how involved the driving is and the responsiveness of the steering. Looking forward to owning and maintaining my first gti.  :smiley: :drool:
« Last Edit: 27 September 2012, 00:14 by mjr »

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
Re: My MkII 1.8 8v
« Reply #1 on: 30 July 2012, 20:55 »
Looks good mate for the money, just get rid of the rust and some new paint and your onto a winner!! I just got one the exact same (2 door) in very rough standard format that i'm gonna restore after the summer!!

97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline leigh_harty

• I live here
  • Audi AGU
« Reply #2 on: 30 July 2012, 21:04 »
Only looks like surface rust? Which will be some kind of plus  :grin:

Other than that keep it small bumper!  :cool:
Dont lose your dinosaur!

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #3 on: 31 July 2012, 00:25 »
For the money I must say it looks good, rust doesn't look too bad at all, the rest of the car seems pretty damn straight, nice find.  :cool:

Offline mjr

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 31 July 2012, 19:16 »
Cheers for the comments guys, all the rust just seems to be on the surface..no hollow sounds when tapping around the rear arch etc Have a tub of Kurust waiting for the weekend after I have taken it back to bare metal with my new dremel.

Small bumper for sure..keeping it clean and tidy.

*Fan belt is slipping a little, so wonderfully squeelly at times.

So today on the way back from work it squeeled something rotten then suddenly shut up. Then I got a oil pressure light and a battery light and then gradually the oil temp started to climb. So pulled over sharpish and had a look. No belt there. Snapped. Gone. Coolant steaming away and sprayed over most of the bay. Clearly my idea that it could hold on until the new belt arrived and was fitted later this week was not agreeable. So got it towed back and as I need it asap it is at my wee local garage to get a new belt fitted as he has one in stock and a once over. Should have it back tomorrow pm.  :rolleyes:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #5 on: 31 July 2012, 19:43 »
Be good to see this tidied up.  :cool:

You probably would have got away with running the belt for longer if you took out the slack.  Can't stand squealing belts plus I know that all its doing is rapidly wearing it out so would never risk it.  A local garage with a belt in stock, how about that for lucky.   :cool:

Offline Dolly

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 02 August 2012, 18:20 »
try a new relay shift for the gear shift, made a hell of a difference to mine, with the same forward / back play, £15 and an easy DIY

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=227284.0

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 02 August 2012, 19:11 »
Thats a friggin bargain. Helios blue as well, the best colour  :wink: As said that rust on the rear arch is nothing, get a flap wheel on it and see how it goes.