Author Topic: Michelin Crossclimate  (Read 9426 times)

Offline Crockers

• Not said much yet
Michelin Crossclimate
« on: 30 July 2018, 16:09 »
Hi

Does anyone use the above tyres on their GTi?' If so how do you find them?

Offline Stbb748

• Just got here
Re: Michelin Crossclimate
« Reply #1 on: 30 July 2018, 17:51 »
I have them on my a6 quattro  ( on winter Wheels) and wife's citigo all year round. If they did them in 20" I would running them all year on audi. They are very very good in everything apart from solid ice. I have only had gti for 6 weeks but when 18" tyres are finished  I'll be putting them on for winter and getting some 19" bbs for Summers.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 30 July 2018, 18:37 »
I consider them to be a Jack of all trades. I'd prefer to stick with having specific summer and winter tyres. As I've often needed to argue, 2 sets of wheels and tyres don't cost any more than one set in the long run as you can only wear out one set at a time.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline robtt

• GTI forum regular
  • Golf Gti pp dsg
« Reply #3 on: 30 July 2018, 20:52 »
I asked Honest John (D.Telegraph motoring writer) about fitting them to my Gti . He replied they work better with higher profile tyres not the 40 profile tyres fitted to the Golf. I have Conti winter tyres and they work really well. Use Falken  Azensis  FK510 summer tyres and they are really good too.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 30 July 2018, 20:58 »
Anyone seen the new Bridgestone A005??
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #5 on: 30 July 2018, 21:46 »
All the reviews I have read say that the Crossclimates have weak snow performance.

All the research I have done on the subject indicates that the safest option is still dedicated summer and dedicated winter tyres.

This year I will be buying winter tyres for my GTI. Though we do live in the northern half of the UK, so get a lot more snow and ice.

This is worth a watch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU4O3ulin80

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 31 July 2018, 18:21 »
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 31 July 2018, 22:24 »
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Is-there-a-true-all-season-tyre-We-find-out.htm

"Everyone has a different priority for their own safety, which is why we've provided all the data collected to help you decide which type of tyre works best for your own circumstances. Michelin haven't performed the impossible with the new CrossClimate, but they have moved the balance of compromise to a more comfortable point for what we see as the average year round motoring in the UK. For ultimate performance, or on larger, more powerful cars, a dedicated summer and winter tyre combination is still the most effective choice."

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 31 July 2018, 22:36 »
I asked Honest John (D.Telegraph motoring writer) about fitting them to my Gti . He replied they work better with higher profile tyres not the 40 profile tyres fitted to the Golf. I have Conti winter tyres and they work really well. Use Falken  Azensis  FK510 summer tyres and they are really good too.

WinterContact TS850 P?

The TS860 P is out, but not in the size I need yet. Looks like they will be more focused on performance.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 31 July 2018, 22:43 »
Good comparison here (on smaller wheels)

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2018-AutoNavigator-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

"Auto Navigator have tested fourteen 205/55 R16 summer tyres, but also included an all season tyre (the Michelin CrossClimate), a full winter tyre, and most interestingly worn summer and winter tyres."

So the CrossClimate finished 9th and that was in the 16 inch touring tyres size.

I wonder how they would do against 17 or 18 inch performance tyres.