Author Topic: Is my thermostat not working properly  (Read 929 times)

Offline naturn007

• GTI forum regular
Is my thermostat not working properly
« on: 11 March 2010, 15:18 »
Hi all,
96 GTi 8v

My thermostat always sat at 90 degrees, even in traffic.  Over the last couple of weeks, I have noticed it only just touches 70 degrees.  It will reach 90 but only in traffic.  Then drops again when moving. As it sits so low, I don't get much heat coming from the vents either.  The car runs fine.

Cheers guys

Offline christomk3gti

• I live here
Re: Is my thermostat not working properly
« Reply #1 on: 11 March 2010, 16:49 »
Yep thats your thermostat. - Mines exactly the same on my 8v gti, I'm gunna get it changed soon coz I'm now in the mood to get everything sorted and get it looks mint.

There pretty east to do aparently.... remove the powersteering pump and you can get to the thermostat located near the water pump.
Do you have a haynes manual??

There pretty useful
Black 8v GTI............. Whats a Waffle Valve?

Offline naturn007

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 11 March 2010, 17:08 »
Yep thats your thermostat. - Mines exactly the same on my 8v gti, I'm gunna get it changed soon coz I'm now in the mood to get everything sorted and get it looks mint.

There pretty east to do aparently.... remove the powersteering pump and you can get to the thermostat located near the water pump.
Do you have a haynes manual??

There pretty useful

Yeah I do have a haynes, so I will order a thermostat and get busy!

Offline christomk3gti

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 11 March 2010, 20:14 »
yep. is yours an 8v??

If it is can you confirm your thermostat part number.... so i can check this up against the thermostat i was sent by someone awhile ago which was included in something i bought once... then i'll be fitting mine

:afro:
Black 8v GTI............. Whats a Waffle Valve?