Author Topic: Wheel question  (Read 2820 times)

Offline simon911abc

• Not said much yet
Wheel question
« on: 17 September 2018, 11:19 »
HI guys,
As you know my wheels are in a poor state and I am planning an upgrade. I love the look of the Austin alloy, however, does an OEM 7.5J wheel with a 49mm offset fit the Mk6 without the need for adjustment or spacer...? Looking to straight swap for the existing 17in Monza's.

Thanks!

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Wheel question
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2018, 15:48 »
Simon, the 17” Monza’s on the mk6 GTI are (I think) 7.5J x 17 ET51 and, the OEM 18” Austin’s are 7.5J x 18 with (as you’ve said) an offset of ET49.

Both 17” Monza’s and genuine 18” Austin’s will have the same bolt pattern (PCD) of 5x112 and a centre bore of 57.1 so the Austin’s should bolt straight on. The Austin’s having a slightly more aggressive offset (ET49 compared to your existing wheels ET51) means the inner rim will be 2mm further away from the suspension strut and the face will protrude outwards a further 2mm.

Although I think the Austin’s are a nice design of wheel, I’m personally not a fan of diamond cut wheels, as they’re often prone to white worm corrosion at 2-3 years old and require a refurb to restore the finish back to original. A good quality diamond cut refurbishment costs in the region of £90+VAT per wheel. Also bear in mind that diamond cut alloys can usually only be refurbished twice as the process involves re-cutting the face of the wheel by removing a layer of metal on a diamond cutting lathe. More than two refurbs and the structural integrity of the wheel can be compromised.

If you’re thinking of buying used Austin’s, be aware that there a lots of replicas out there, some may not be particularly good quality and may not have been subjected to the same stringent safety and quality tests that OEM wheels are. Replica wheels should be advertised as ‘Austin style’ alloys if they’re not the genuine article. Some of the replicas will also have a more aggressive offset than the OEM wheels. The originals should have the VW logo and spec of the wheel (7.5J x 18 ET49) stamped into the reverse side of the wheel spokes, along with the VW part no. (5G0601025AS).

Good luck in your search.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline simon911abc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2018, 16:19 »
Great input SRGTD. Thanks v much.
The wheels I'm looking at appear to be genuine. They are on eBay - not sure if links are allowed, but will have a go. Although the auction has ended, the wheels are still available and I was considering them (scroll down the page...)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-18-VW-AUSTIN-GOLF-GTi-ALLOYs-GTD-R-w-TYREs-225-40-18-MK5-MK6-MK7-/283149546395?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l44720

I wonder if there's a good way to check for the corrosion you mention?
Cheers
Simon

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #3 on: 17 September 2018, 16:45 »
There's a guy around the corner from me with a set of Austins on his Mk6 GTI with no spacers etc.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 17 September 2018, 16:49 »
Looking at the pictures of the wheel, the one shown because of the nature of the marks, will need a refurb at about £100 before you will be happy.  White worm is where water has got behind the lacquer coat and causes corrosion in the form of white marks that spread often in lines, hence the term white worm. Often found around the bolt holes caused by careless tyre fitters or mechanics or caused by stone chips that puncture the lacquer. Does not look like this wheel is affected. Still 3 more to find if you take this one.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 17 September 2018, 16:50 »
Personally I'm not a fan of wheels from a newer model of car. I would have your original Monzas refurbished, or 'upgrade' for a set of Monza shadows. These WILL suffer whiteworm, but do look good painted/powdercoated black or anthracite.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 18 September 2018, 10:25 »
I have Monza Shadows from new and apart from an argument with a kerb that required a refurb have not had a problem with white worm in nearly 9 years. I do check them regularly for any chips etc and touch up the lacquer as required and this does not notice if done well. They also get a coat of polish outside and inside a couple of times a year. The tyre fitters I use are also good! Do not get much snow where I live so salt not as much of a problem as some places.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 18 September 2018, 13:32 »
They can hold out well. My Mk6 had Vancouvers, and apart from a small outbreak next to a bolt hole and one wheel with very light kerbing, they still looked good at 7 years old when it went. In fact I saw the car earlier this week (sold to a family member) and they still look good. A second set of winter wheels to keep them away from most of the salt has no doubt helped tho'.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 18 September 2018, 14:26 »
There seems to be an element of luck with white worm; some wheels seem to be more resistant to it than others. 

I had 18” diamond cut Charleston Shadows on my mk6 GTD. I’m pretty OCD when it comes to car cleaning and detailing, and the diamond cut alloys on my GTD were washed every 7-10 days (when I washed the car), sealed and waxed every 2.5 - 3 months or so and any stone chip marks on either the lacquer or black powder coated sections were touched in pretty much as soon as they happened.

In spite of a fairly meticulous regime to keep the wheels looking good and free of white worm, two of them suffered from it when the car was 2.5 years old. The two wheels were replaced under warranty and the two original wheels not replaced under warranty were starting to show signs of white worm around the centre caps when the car was just over 3 years old (caps hadn’t ever been removed, so white worm wasn’t the result of the centre caps being prised out of the centre hole from the front of the wheel, rather than pushing them out from the rear).
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl