Author Topic: machine polishing old vw paint  (Read 1755 times)

Offline clancy

• I live here
machine polishing old vw paint
« on: 22 December 2014, 18:55 »
after Christmas when the weathers ok i will be doing a full correction polish on my mk3

will be getting a full decontamination, probably 2 stage polish with DA, then glazed and sealed

question is, having not machined a car this old what should i expect? is the paint single stage or clear coated ? and is it generally hard or soft ?

if anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated, thanks
MK3 GTI 16v

Offline OakeyDoak16v

• I live here
Re: machine polishing old vw paint
« Reply #1 on: 23 December 2014, 23:08 »
Completely depends on the condition of the paint. If its OK condition then after a good wash and tar removal i would clay it first and wash it again, dry it completely and just try some lime prime with a medium density pad and see how it goes from there.
Put some pics up so we can see how bad or not bad it is.  :smiley:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 23 December 2014, 23:24 »
Might be worth testing the depth of the paint before polishing, especially if you're not sure what's been done to it prior to your ownership.  Should give you an idea of how agressive you can/can't be with the correction work.  :smiley:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline OakeyDoak16v

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 23 December 2014, 23:50 »
Cant really go wrong with a dual action though. If using a powerful rotary then take care!!  :smiley:

Offline clancy

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 25 December 2014, 19:46 »
Thanks for the replys guys, would ideally test the thickness but I don't have or know anyone with a ptg unfortunately

The paint is in good condition for a 20 year old car, swirl marks and a couple of tiny scratches by handles etc but no real marring

Obviously I'll start with the lightest cut I have and move up, and it's DA yeah so not too much to worry about

Just nto sure if I need to order another polish or 2 to have a very good range of cut available to me

Will get lots of before and after photos though to see how it looks
MK3 GTI 16v

Offline Organisys

• I live here
  • Old and Slow...
« Reply #5 on: 07 January 2015, 13:06 »
Unless it's red or white, it's likely to be two stage paint.

Use a PTG if you can borrow.

Start slow, carefull and with a less aggressive pad and polish. Increase passes and pressure..
only then move up pads and polish if you need too.

... it's turned into a fashion show for poofters.