Author Topic: Richard Lloyd Racing MK1 - Updating Broken Pics From Page 1 And Adding New Works  (Read 376346 times)

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Re: MK1 Black From The Dead Says "Hello Roads!" (p101)
« Reply #1140 on: 09 April 2011, 20:37 »
Such an unusual engine should be preserved as best you can. Those guys knew what they were doing back then.

I do like the 8v for tootling about but I enjoy the valver when pressing on.

Sounds like you have best of both worlds there and an excellent excuse to have a shift light :smiley:

Totally agree.

I'm surprised at the output! Mine has had the crank lightened and balanced, gas flowed and a high lift cam and I'd be surprised if it is getting anywhere near that. It doesn't feel that quick :-/

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
« Reply #1141 on: 09 April 2011, 21:53 »
Man, that is bleak about Richard Lloyd (and all the others). It seems as I get older that the truely talented and nice people always seem to die leaving the ignorant and useless to run amock. Seems the only way to ensure longevity is to excell at nothing... To quote the late Bill Hicks.

Hendrix... Dead

Joplin... Dead

Morrison... Dead

Buckley... Dead

Regan... Wounded

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #1142 on: 10 April 2011, 13:43 »
good luck with that... you sorted the tappets out ??

NO, haven't even got the tools to do it, bucket compressor and shim tool is what I think I need.  To be honest I haven't even checked out how bad the clearances are yet.

Such an unusual engine should be preserved as best you can. Those guys knew what they were doing back then.

I do like the 8v for tootling about but I enjoy the valver when pressing on.

Sounds like you have best of both worlds there and an excellent excuse to have a shift light :smiley:

Totally agree.

I'm surprised at the output! Mine has had the crank lightened and balanced, gas flowed and a high lift cam and I'd be surprised if it is getting anywhere near that. It doesn't feel that quick :-/

There may be bits I've missed but without the paperwork I can't list everything (lost!). I used to have old Dyno run info with runs ranging from 129-137. The RE2000 which was based on the standard 1800 setup was apparently good at giving over 150!

Man, that is bleak about Richard Lloyd (and all the others). It seems as I get older that the truely talented and nice people always seem to die leaving the ignorant and useless to run amock. Seems the only way to ensure longevity is to excell at nothing... To quote the late Bill Hicks.

Hendrix... Dead

Joplin... Dead

Morrison... Dead

Buckley... Dead

Regan... Wounded

Yes it is sad, both Macrae and Lloyd died in private flying accidents!.. racing drivers should not fly! although Lloyd wasn't piloting his craft.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
Re: MK1 Black From The Dead - Timing Issues HELP PLEASE (p115)
« Reply #1144 on: 10 April 2011, 14:33 »
Did you not just use the timing marks that were used on previous cambelt,, i would have marked the previously used marks with tip-ex or such and just slid off and slid on a new belt... once belt was fitted did you turn it by hand a couple of times to see if it was still marked up ?? did you make sure all the timing marks lined up dont know if your car has a flywheel timing mark as well ??

Im no professional but just what ive read before
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
Re: MK1 Black From The Dead - Cam Belt Done! (p115)
« Reply #1145 on: 10 April 2011, 21:29 »
Fook me, what a ball ache!

Turns out it was a fueling issue.  Idles spot on now and drives fine but has lost it's urgency at top end as I haven't put the strobe or the gas tester on it yet.

Will try and get that done in the next couple of days, at some point when I'm flush I'd like to take it to a pro, especially when the clearances are sorted.  At least I can relax a little now with the knowledge that it's got a new belt on.

little bit of evidence, old belt didn't look too bad.

Really must look into the oil leak, it doesn't look good.  :undecided:

Thanks tech for the reply... the old belt was wrong hence why I had to start from scratch.

« Last Edit: 26 May 2011, 15:18 by SoundillusioN »

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
Re: MK1 Black From The Dead - Cam Belt Fitted (p115)
« Reply #1146 on: 10 April 2011, 21:44 »
Atleast its all on and sorted now.. should take you long to do the clearance will it ?? Also change the rocker cover gasket when doing them  :wink:
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #1147 on: 10 April 2011, 22:35 »
Atleast its all on and sorted now.. should take you long to do the clearance will it ?? Also change the rocker cover gasket when doing them  :wink:

Need to change a few gaskets by the looks of things but was always my intention.  But yeah, one important motor job out of the way.  :cool:

To me the clearances look like a pain as I don't have the tools for the job.  :sad:

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #1148 on: 10 April 2011, 23:18 »
Good result.  :cool:

Any ideas what gaskets are leaking?

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #1149 on: 10 April 2011, 23:22 »
Good result.  :cool:

Any ideas what gaskets are leaking?

Nope, need to degrease my once clean engine and start looking, was mint until it was driven.  hopefully an easy one!