Author Topic: Richard Lloyd Racing MK1 - Updating Broken Pics From Page 1 And Adding New Works  (Read 376273 times)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
Re: SoundillusioN - MK1 Black From The Dead
« Reply #80 on: 12 May 2010, 00:42 »
thats very kind of you!... i havent looked in the virtual mods bit since the black RAs were quickly put on it and wasnt expecting anyone to try it with golds... wow... wicked job on Joes...  shame he's got a paxo now!  yeah there is something you can do for me, can you make mine all fixed so i dont have to!  :grin:

Offline Dec

• I live here
« Reply #81 on: 12 May 2010, 00:53 »
thats very kind of you!... i havent looked in the virtual mods bit since the black RAs were quickly put on it and wasnt expecting anyone to try it with golds... wow... wicked job on Joes...  shame he's got a paxo now!  yeah there is something you can do for me, can you make mine all fixed so i dont have to!  :grin:

Don't think I have ever even looked in there tbh! Don't spend huge amounts of time on the comp at home, only in the evenings when I get in for a quick browse at nonsense and dub rides :tongue:

His saxo looks ok really, and its a newer car so will be less to break (although its french so maybe not!) but looks pretty clean all the same :)

Haha if I was any good at all at mechanic's, I wouldnt still be driving a standard car after 7 months :tongue:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #82 on: 12 May 2010, 01:02 »
Don't think I have ever even looked in there tbh! Don't spend huge amounts of time on the comp at home, only in the evenings when I get in for a quick browse at nonsense and dub rides :tongue:

His saxo looks ok really, and its a newer car so will be less to break (although its french so maybe not!) but looks pretty clean all the same :)

Haha if I was any good at all at mechanic's, I wouldnt still be driving a standard car after 7 months :tongue:
Ah well as long as he's happy. i'm no mechanic.... fingers crossed i can get it done... in time for summer though, looking slim! 

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
Re: SoundillusioN - MK1 Black From The Dead (Skirts off!!)
« Reply #83 on: 12 May 2010, 21:14 »
Im hating where i'm at right now, looking at the car it feels like i'm going backwards taking it all to bits!  I want to make sure its rot free and protected to feck so that when its finished i know she's solid as a rock and i wont have any nasty surprises later.

This very chunky bbs kit goes right under to the seam of the sill underneath.  I saw this as a potential damp trap!

From the day ive owned it the doors were a bit low and had previously been rubbing the top of the skirts. the screws at the top were rusted to sh*t with no way of unscreweing them...

With the bends either side of each screw i was worried that there was rot underneath

Out came the angle grinder!...  :shocked:

Was so worried about damaging it! broke one screw hole and i have a few grind marks on the top now... its part of the kit thats not on show and i know i can rub it down and make it better again.

No nasty surprises, just dirty.  :shocked:

Quick rub down and all is good! Will be painting and sealing it all up.  :cool:

Car looks so sorry for itself again at the moment though!  :sad:

« Last Edit: 12 May 2010, 21:17 by SoundillusioN »

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #84 on: 12 May 2010, 21:20 »
worth it in the long run :afro:  brings back memories of wire brushing all the rear arches out etc on the G2  :sick:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #85 on: 12 May 2010, 21:22 »
worth it in the long run :afro:  brings back memories of wire brushing all the rear arches out etc on the G2  :sick:
I know....  :sick: I just want the car back i never got to enjoy!  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 23 August 2010, 02:30 by SoundillusioN »

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
« Reply #86 on: 13 May 2010, 11:14 »
i bet that was a relief. how long have the skirts been on for?

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #87 on: 13 May 2010, 13:02 »
i bet that was a relief. how long have the skirts been on for?
I believe since BBS released that kit so a very long time! She did spend a lot of early life garaged so would help explain it and like i said before was very well sealed in most of the vunerable areas.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #88 on: 13 May 2010, 13:34 »
Did mk1's ever have arch liners
Y & A reg ones did. My old X reg series 2 and series 1's did not its one of the reasons they rusted badly as well as lack of other protection like VWs white waxoyl, and white sealer, and underseal.

Amazed how good it is under the body kit mine came from the dealers when new with the kamei kit and it was still on when i got the car. I cried when i removed it and noticed rust spots and thats 9 years ago!
« Last Edit: 13 May 2010, 13:37 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #89 on: 13 May 2010, 14:10 »
Did mk1's ever have arch liners
Y & A reg ones did. My old X reg series 2 and series 1's did not its one of the reasons they rusted badly as well as lack of other protection like VWs white waxoyl, and white sealer, and underseal.

Amazed how good it is under the body kit mine came from the dealers when new with the kamei kit and it was still on when i got the car. I cried when i removed it and noticed rust spots and thats 9 years ago!
Your amazed?!!.... I wasnt expecting anything too bad from under the arches as id always had a poke around there and kept them free from trapped dirt (although i better not speak too soon as i havent taken the rear of the kit off yet!).  The sills were always a bit of a worry though due to how the screws looked and the fact the kit covers so much up, you can see in the photo with the skirt off how far under the car it goes, all the way to seam! I really was expecting something there becuase it seemed that if damp got in, it would have no easy way to dry out.  At least i know now that if seal it all well it should last another 20 years! :-)