Author Topic: Is it worth fixing my mk3 golf gti 16v!!!!  (Read 4398 times)

Offline *Dickie*

• Not said much yet
Is it worth fixing my mk3 golf gti 16v!!!!
« on: 06 March 2010, 00:54 »
Hello

i have a really big dilema on my hands as my golf is not in a gd way atm, as it requires:

1) starter motor
2)  exhaust - as gases are getting into car
3) power steering - where the belt goes on the disc that is not straight.
4) abs light keeps going on and off - could need new abs pump ££££
5) no mot on car

plus car has bump to rear only lil mark but needs new rear bumper, and rust patch on both doors.

is it worth fixing up to pass mot, as i love my mk3 golfs i have had 2 now and both 16v, i need help!!!!! as im finding it hard to find a mint 16v no a day.

help me please.............

Offline Chris-White

• I live here
  • Manufactured in Germany. Ruined in Britain.
Re: Is it worth fixing my mk3 golf gti 16v!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 06 March 2010, 02:03 »
is it worth fixing up to pass mot, as i love my mk3 golfs i have had 2 now

Theres your answer.
If its your baby, and you love it enough, money shouldnt be an issue.
S4 Avant. Eibach springs. 18" Avus. RS4 Intercoolers. Viper Tuned. Goes Fast.

Offline FlySpeck

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 06 March 2010, 08:35 »
where are you mate? You may find clearing the ecu code memory or scanning the abs controller (if its obd2 96>) will get rid of or confirm the reason for the abs light, an exhaust can be had from ebay for a reasonable price, starter motor and power steering pump too, but the mot is the thing until you know what it needs.

Kwik-fit do mots......and are cheap. Chuck it in to see what they reckon, and they will do a free brake check too - dont need to buy owt off them, just get the free check!

Maybe a member near you could scan teh car with a vag405 or vagcom for you, after that its down to the mot I reckon, if it comes out wi a pile of fails then maybe rethink that particular car, but it depends on how far you would go to have the mk3....rust is starting to have a lot of them now and welding is common at mot time, as are brakes, exhaust, cv boots, lower arm bushes, etc on mk3's and there can be more, get it checked for a pre mot and see what that brings then decide.

Offline skcollob_ho

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 06 March 2010, 08:48 »

Theres your answer.

My Mrs is always telling me to just get a new car, because i'm throwing money at my valver every month to fix little things here and there. "Why don't you just buy a newer car which you don't have to keep fixing!?" is the usual rubbish i hear from her. She doesn't understand though, she drives a characterless Focus. I drive a car that I think has lots of character, and although its not a minter, when clean she turns heads, and i like that.

I enjoy sorting problems out, and I'm always looking at ways to improve her. I guess you need to ask yourself if you feel the same.
A totalitarian regime, crushes all autonomy in it's drive to seize the human soul.

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #4 on: 06 March 2010, 11:05 »

Theres your answer.

My Mrs is always telling me to just get a new car, because i'm throwing money at my valver every month to fix little things here and there. "Why don't you just buy a newer car which you don't have to keep fixing!?" is the usual rubbish i hear from her. She doesn't understand though, she drives a characterless Focus. I drive a car that I think has lots of character, and although its not a minter, when clean she turns heads, and i like that.

I enjoy sorting problems out, and I'm always looking at ways to improve her. I guess you need to ask yourself if you feel the same.

+1  :grin:

Offline GTIMK3LEE

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 06 March 2010, 11:56 »
+2

Offline FlySpeck

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 06 March 2010, 16:24 »
me too ;)

Offline Deano2711

• I live here
  • 1992 VR6
« Reply #7 on: 06 March 2010, 16:57 »
My missus hated my car when I was throwing money at it but now it's finished she loves it and will not let me sell it. I had my eye on something else recently and she went ballistic !!!!!!!!!  In answer to the original question....if you love the car it's worth doing. To me that is a small(ish) list and would not get me selling mine.      Cheers     Deano

Offline zdebx

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 06 March 2010, 17:11 »
Don't expect to buy a 20 year old a car and then not spend money on it...

When you buy a Golf mk3, you must know that you WILL need to fix it sooner or later, so if you like the car and want to keep it, then yeah - fix it.
My Golf mk3 1.8 SE is FOR SALE - Jetex exhaust + Jamex coilies & More...Only £550! More info here > http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=161711.0

Offline jonnypolish

• I live here
  • t2871r needed :)
« Reply #9 on: 06 March 2010, 21:13 »

Theres your answer.

+1
 MK2 VR y0!