Author Topic: We Connect  (Read 6502 times)

Offline mistac

• GTI forum regular
We Connect
« on: 06 March 2020, 21:40 »
On the advice of my dealer, I have set it up and ordered the online services in anticipation of the forthcoming collection. Today I got notified that the online services/connection went live and I am now "connected" to the car despite never seeing it  :smiley: :smiley: Because I am a bit sad, I have been checking the app out - not sure whether I am supposed to or not but see below if anyone is interested
I think I could even remotely set the horn off lol but will not! Trawling through the app, it shows various data as below, one of which suggests mileage of 64 (unless it is a dummy/demo mileage) but surely it has not been driven that much? It also shows a drive today of 2 miles if I understand correctly and that the service interval is currently set as long life but I believe will need amending to fixed as I have opted for the £199 2 service deal. I don't think it has had its PDI yet though. Fascinating stuff considering I have not even seen it yet!  Expecting the GTI to be on Bridgestones I guess  :angry: :angry:

« Last Edit: 06 March 2020, 22:28 by mistac »
GTI 7.5 Performance 5dr DSG Tornado Red - completely standard spec as - it comes out of the tin as they say

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: We Connect
« Reply #1 on: 06 March 2020, 22:05 »
I'd set the horn off a few times during the day when technicians are around to hear it - they might think it's possessed.  :evil:
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Tallpaul

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 06 March 2020, 23:11 »
64 miles! Someone at the dealership has been using it. I’ve had 2 new golfs. Neither had more than 7 miles at collection.

If the app is connected, that also means someone has entered an activation code. That should be the first owner, not the dealer.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 07 March 2020, 00:34 »
64 miles! Someone at the dealership has been using it. I’ve had 2 new golfs. Neither had more than 7 miles at collection.

If the app is connected, that also means someone has entered an activation code. That should be the first owner, not the dealer.

Yes, 64 miles is too much IMO for a brand new car that you’re collecting from the dealer’s premises. It’d be different if it had that mileage and the dealer was delivering the car to your home. The four brand new VW’s I’ve had each had between 7 and 8 miles on the clock when I collected them.

Worth having a read of this discussion thread;

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=286217.0
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline mistac

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 07 March 2020, 07:49 »
I entered the activation code as part of the registration process - I was asked to register as part of the psi process?  - if that is the mileage I will be saying something!
GTI 7.5 Performance 5dr DSG Tornado Red - completely standard spec as - it comes out of the tin as they say

Offline skippy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 07 March 2020, 08:00 »
Yes, 64 miles sounds way too high. Mine was on 15 which I think is at the upper end of acceptable, but mine was a cancelled order and I believe it went from dealership to remote storage compound a couple of times.
MK7.5 2020, Isaac Blue, standard spec

Gone but certainly not forgotten Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TSI

Offline Andy198

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 07 March 2020, 08:04 »
@Mistac - worth reading that thread of 'acceptable' mileage that SRGTD linked to - 64m is too much in my opinion. I'd raise it with the dealership and look to get a discount or even walk away if they try fobbing you off.

New should be new - I can understand a technician taking it for a couple of miles to road test it locally and check everything working etc but 64 miles? no way. My guess would be that the car came from a dealers storage at a different location to the one you're dealing with and rather than paying for proper transport, they've just sent a someone to drive it back then reset the mileage prior to collection. By connecting to the App, you've got a heads up here. Good luck.
GTI PP Mk7.5 with DCC, Sunroof, Brescias / BBS SR & 90% Tints

Offline Philip

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 07 March 2020, 08:22 »
The car will be generating data to the We Connect system constantly once activated (in the car, not the app) so I would guess that the 64 miles is distance the GPS has recorded while on a transporter and the 2 miles and 44 minutes actual running you are seeing in the app is the car being unloaded and then left ticking over at the dealers.

You will need to go through the VW positive identity process before the horn, lights and lock features in the app are available.
« Last Edit: 07 March 2020, 08:24 by Philip »
TCR 3 door

Offline mistac

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 07 March 2020, 11:58 »
The car will be generating data to the We Connect system constantly once activated (in the car, not the app) so I would guess that the 64 miles is distance the GPS has recorded while on a transporter and the 2 miles and 44 minutes actual running you are seeing in the app is the car being unloaded and then left ticking over at the dealers.

You will need to go through the VW positive identity process before the horn, lights and lock features in the app are available.
Thanks - I hope you are correct. Sheerness port is close to the dealers but I suppose it could have gone to other places/dealers first!

Offline skippy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 07 March 2020, 13:11 »
I once bought a new Mazda RX/8 which was delivered with 85 miles on the clock. I knew it was being delivered from another dealership about ‘40 miles away’,  but the other 45 miles were somewhat unaccounted for. This was in the days before connected apps and big brother type monitoring!
MK7.5 2020, Isaac Blue, standard spec

Gone but certainly not forgotten Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TSI